Columbia commuting question (?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

foh

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can any current student or NYC resident answer these for me please?

I am considering getting a house in Bergen County (NJ, right across the Hudson river from CPMC).

1) Will it be impossible to find parking in CPMC area? It seems on-campus parking permit is really hard to get.

2) How is the public transportation between Bergen County & Washington Heights? Would it be bus? subway? or would I have to use both?

Any info. will be helpful~

Thank you very much in advance~

Members don't see this ad.

foh said:
Can any current student or NYC resident answer these for me please?

I am considering getting a house in Bergen County (NJ, right across the Hudson river from CPMC).

1) Will it be impossible to find parking in CPMC area? It seems on-campus parking permit is really hard to get.

2) How is the public transportation between Bergen County & Washington Heights? Would it be bus? subway? or would I have to use both?

Any info. will be helpful~

Thank you very much in advance~

Speaking as a NYC resident:

I think parking there would be very hard to find. It generally is the pits in Manhattan, and didn't notice a plethora of parking garages (which are crazy expensive anyways) when I was up there for my interview. You also might want to consider the cost of the tolls - going over the George Washington (which I assume you'd be taking) every day won't be cheap.

In terms of public transportation - the subways don't run outside of NYC, but you can hook up with PATH trains at some stations. However, that might be a somewhat circular route, so your best bet would probably be to just take a bus. I don't know exact routes and schedules, but here's NJ Transit.