Columbia Dual Degree DDS/MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kobe08

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in pursuing a public health degree in addition to my dental degree. Would it be possible at Columbia to do this in 4 years? I was not sure looking at the website. All the other DDS/MPH programs seem to be 5 years, which makes me a bit hesitant, but if there are any 4 year programs out there I would really like to know. Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

I am interested in pursuing a public health degree in addition to my dental degree. Would it be possible at Columbia to do this in 4 years? I was not sure looking at the website. All the other DDS/MPH programs seem to be 5 years, which makes me a bit hesitant, but if there are any 4 year programs out there I would really like to know. Thanks everyone!

Probably not. Most DDS degrees take 4 yrs, so it would be unlikely that you can complete an MPH at the same time as the DDS degree. Why not just do the 5 yr plan? its only 1 more year.

I originally applied to Columbia for the dual degree program. When I found out it was just a 5 year track, I didn't see the point. You can do the MPH at many schools in one year. Why pay the Columbia tuition?

Members don't see this ad :)
Would it be an integrated 5 years? Or is it possible to graduate from D-school and still work on it? The thing I don't like about some of the programs is that we have to take one year off from D school to take the MPH courses and then are put back into the dental curriculum. I would much rather graduate with the rest of my class.

Not sure if you are dead set on Columbia, but ASDOH has a dual MPH option that you can complete in 4 years. They already have a public health grad certificate interwoven into their curriculum. So you already have 5 or 6 classes under your belt, so its only like another 7 or 8 classes until you have the MPH.

Again, the degree isn't from Columbia, but it can be done in 4 years and it has a dental emphasis. Good luck!

Not sure if you are dead set on Columbia, but ASDOH has a dual MPH option that you can complete in 4 years. They already have a public health grad certificate interwoven into their curriculum. So you already have 5 or 6 classes under your belt, so its only like another 7 or 8 classes until you have the MPH.

Again, the degree isn't from Columbia, but it can be done in 4 years and it has a dental emphasis. Good luck!

meh. dunno how I would feel moving to Arizona just to get an MPH. Kinda silly if you ask me. also Columbia is a better choice than ASDOH in my mind. wiith or w/o an MPH.

I originally applied to Columbia for the dual degree program. When I found out it was just a 5 year track, I didn't see the point. You can do the MPH at many schools in one year. Why pay the Columbia tuition?

Not so. Columbia offers full rides to 2 people per year to do the dual degree, so aside from the 1-year of time and the opportunity cost associated with that, it's free.

not many people apply for it either so you'd have a pretty good shot imo.

there is simply too much coursework to make 4 years feasible.

what's nice about columbia's MPH is that you are working with some of the bignames in the field of public health (Dr. Burton Edelstein - helped write the HCR bill).

The only thing I would suggest is to talk to the program director about whether or not it can be done in 4 years......The reason I say this is because I am enrolled in the UCLA DDS/MS dual degree program where I had the option and decided to have it integrated throughout the entire 4 years so that I don't have to take any time off or even pay for it! It's just one extra class per quarter and my research on top of that. I don't think it is a problem where there is too much work over 4 years so that can only be completed by taking an additional year off to get the MPH.

I had read on the forums that in the past one could do it in 4 years, but I'm not sure if they changed their curriculum. I am very interested though as Columbia has a strong focus on public dental health and you get to work with some great people. I just want to finish school on time without a significant interruption.

I had read on the forums that in the past one could do it in 4 years, but I'm not sure if they changed their curriculum. I am very interested though as Columbia has a strong focus on public dental health and you get to work with some great people. I just want to finish school on time without a significant interruption.

Its not an interruption if your heart truly yearns for it.

Just go for it!