Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Columbia - getting into it

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by glamqueen, May 8, 2007.

1. glamqueen

Medical Student
    What does it take for an out-of-state to get in? What kind of stats do I realistically need...ec's?, etc. etc.

I'm a year away from applying and I'd love to hear what my goals should be from others who have had success getting in.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. chable

chable A sphincter says, "what."

Resident [Any Field]
    I don't think it matters if you're in or out of state. You'll need at around a 3.8 gpa (both cumulative and bcpm), around 32+ MCAT score and good extracurriculars.

Check www.MDapplicants.com for numbers of those who got in.

4. pjl2505

As a top 20, it would help to have a nice research background. If they were choosing between someone with a more research laden background and someone who focused on clinical, they'd probably lean toward the researcher.

5. glamqueen

Medical Student
    Have a shot at all with a 3.6 GPA? I would have a semester of research as a class (seminar class), one semester volunteering, and possibly another two semesters volunteering if I can get into this lab i'm looking at...

6. pjl2505

I've heard that Columbia screens its applicants based on GPA and MCAT. Shoot for a 33+, do something really cool this summer, and sure you have a chance. Also, it wouldn't hurt to have some really cool talent. Dean Frantz at Columbia (who has a LOT of say in who gets in) loves accepting students who have interests outside of just science or medicine.

7. glamqueen

Medical Student
    Would Dean Frantz be interested in the fact that I worked in public relations for 4 1/2 years with my first undergrad? I was going to try to do volunteer work abroad, but the MCAT prep class I need to take is sucking that money up...

Any ideas on "cool" things Dean F likes to see? I'll do anything - this is my number one choice!

8. pagemmapants

pagemmapants Unknown Member

Attending Physician
    Play rugby. :) That'll help.

9. pjl2505

good call on the rugby. glamqueen, you can pm me if you like. i feel like columbia has a unique admissions process compared to other schools. i'm not an expert, but i can give you my two cents based on what i went through.

10. crimsonkid85

MD/PhD Student
    dean frantz loves people who do play sports or music. if you do either, you'll win huge brownie points.

11. EBI831

EBI831 legend in the making

Medical Student
    i don't think the 3.8 is crucial i have a friend who got in this year and he has like a 3.7 with a huge upward trend. but then again he rocked his mcats (37 or 38 i forgot which).

12. Hednej

Hednej ***** Level 60

Medical Student
    Yeah you'll need a pretty high MCAT. The average is 35 there. But they also like non-trads, it's a Columbia thing and not just the med school.
    Also, they are very research oriented. Get some ASAP.

13. grrlygrrl

Medical Student
    No no no. There is no screening. I managed to secure a place in the class of 2010 with a 3.6 GPA. The reason I was accepted (I believe) is that I'm a musician. So keep up with your varied extracurriculars, apply early, and astound your interviewer with your charming self.

14. MWK

MWK Over-represented majority

Medical Student
    My sister (MS2-->3) at P&S was a Marshall Scholar. I think that helped her get in.