Columbia - getting into it

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

glamqueen

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What does it take for an out-of-state to get in? What kind of stats do I realistically need...ec's?, etc. etc.

I'm a year away from applying and I'd love to hear what my goals should be from others who have had success getting in.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it matters if you're in or out of state. You'll need at around a 3.8 gpa (both cumulative and bcpm), around 32+ MCAT score and good extracurriculars.

Check www.MDapplicants.com for numbers of those who got in.

As a top 20, it would help to have a nice research background. If they were choosing between someone with a more research laden background and someone who focused on clinical, they'd probably lean toward the researcher.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have a shot at all with a 3.6 GPA? I would have a semester of research as a class (seminar class), one semester volunteering, and possibly another two semesters volunteering if I can get into this lab i'm looking at...

I've heard that Columbia screens its applicants based on GPA and MCAT. Shoot for a 33+, do something really cool this summer, and sure you have a chance. Also, it wouldn't hurt to have some really cool talent. Dean Frantz at Columbia (who has a LOT of say in who gets in) loves accepting students who have interests outside of just science or medicine.

Would Dean Frantz be interested in the fact that I worked in public relations for 4 1/2 years with my first undergrad? I was going to try to do volunteer work abroad, but the MCAT prep class I need to take is sucking that money up...

Any ideas on "cool" things Dean F likes to see? I'll do anything - this is my number one choice!

good call on the rugby. glamqueen, you can pm me if you like. i feel like columbia has a unique admissions process compared to other schools. i'm not an expert, but i can give you my two cents based on what i went through.

dean frantz loves people who do play sports or music. if you do either, you'll win huge brownie points.

i don't think the 3.8 is crucial i have a friend who got in this year and he has like a 3.7 with a huge upward trend. but then again he rocked his mcats (37 or 38 i forgot which).

Yeah you'll need a pretty high MCAT. The average is 35 there. But they also like non-trads, it's a Columbia thing and not just the med school.
Also, they are very research oriented. Get some ASAP.

No no no. There is no screening. I managed to secure a place in the class of 2010 with a 3.6 GPA. The reason I was accepted (I believe) is that I'm a musician. So keep up with your varied extracurriculars, apply early, and astound your interviewer with your charming self.

My sister (MS2-->3) at P&S was a Marshall Scholar. I think that helped her get in.