Columbia Human Nutrition Masters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctobe20234

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone completed this 1 year masters program? If so, what was the level of difficulty and how was the student life?

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly that master's is probably a waste of money. It won't help you much (if at all) with med school admissions, and it's not really a lucrative degree either. Unless you absolutely want to pursue the degree based on passion, I would spend your time and money elsewhere.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Read this article before you consider doing any non MD, JD, PhD, or MBA grad program at Columbia. Unfortunately, it seems like some elite universities have began to subsidize research/doctoral education through master programs and such.

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly that master's is probably a waste of money. It won't help you much (if at all) with med school admissions, and it's not really a lucrative degree either. Unless you absolutely want to pursue the degree based on passion, I would spend your time and money elsewhere.
I know its quite expensive (parents willing to pay for it). But I guess my main reason for going is to do something interesting during my gap year.

I know its quite expensive (parents willing to pay for it). But I guess my main reason for going is to do something interesting during my gap year.

Interesting in terms of your personal fulfillment/interest? if your parents are paying for it, then go for it.

Interesting in terms of med school applications? Unfortunately, your time/money would be better spent elsewhere.

Agree with other posters: this is not something that's going to differentiate you on your applications so I would skip it and pursue something that you're truly passionate about.

If this is really and truly your passion, then go for it. But if it's just something where you happen to like the topic and are hoping it will enhance your app, it's not worth it. I'm not on any adcoms but I'm personally not impressed by someone who's good at school and keeps going back for more. It fails to demonstrate that you have a diversity of skills and experiences compared to, say, someone who did Americorps on their gap year.

Now if you're getting this degree because you want to work in the field for a while, get hands-on experience, and later incorporate it into a public health admissions angle, that's a different story entirely.

Unfortunately I have no information regarding your actual query except that those masters programs aren't known for being very rigorous.

Read this article before you consider doing any non MD, JD, PhD, or MBA grad program at Columbia. Unfortunately, it seems like some elite universities have began to subsidize research/doctoral education through master programs and such.

Begun? I feel like its been a more or less open secret that most masters degrees function mostly as cash cows for the university.

OP: Don't do it unless you want to go be a nutritionist but even then there are cheaper nutrition progs out there. I have a friend who is finishing that program and her expected salary is going to be in the 70k ish range. Other posters have floated other ways of doing something interesting for a year if thats what you're looking for. Even doing nutrition research for a faculty member in that program might be a way to scratch this itch without shelling out 90k or whatever it costs.

I really did not like this program. I felt like the classes were not useful, and there is no assistance with medical school admissions even though the program targets premed students.

Reactions: 1 user