Columbia Interview Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bleh4788

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering, how does the Columbia interview play into your application? Does the interviewer represent you in front of the committee or is it just the written evaluation that gets used?

Also, does the dean hand-pick the applicants he interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

bleh4788 said:
I was wondering, how does the Columbia interview play into your application? Does the interviewer represent you in front of the committee or is it just the written evaluation that gets used?

i'd be interested in knowing this as well.

I interviewed three months ago and was interviewed by the dean. He reads your file. I have it on good faith that the dean picks the class almost by himself, and that it is a very good thing if you are interviewed by him. He is very friendly and my interview was very conversational.

Members don't see this ad :)
PhotoMD said:
I interviewed three months ago and was interviewed by the dean. He reads your file. I have it on good faith that the dean picks the class almost by himself, and that it is a very good thing if you are interviewed by him. He is very friendly and my interview was very conversational.

Wow you applied only to Duke, Harvard, Baylor, Stanford, Yale, Columbia, UMich and U Wash. That's some ballz!

MWillie said:
Wow you applied only to Duke, Harvard, Baylor, Stanford, Yale, Columbia, UMich and U Wash. That's some ballz!

In hindsight maybe not the best idea.

But, I figure I'd rather go to a top med school, and if I don't get in, I'll just apply more widely next time around. No rush.

bleh4788 said:

I know in my case the interview mattered a lot. But I don't think it makes or break you really. Dr Frantz is looking for particular types of ppl to fill the class. Most of the rumors u hear are probably somewhat based in truth.

b

Yes, I totally agree with missbonnie.

I was also interview by Dr. Frantz (earlier this week). It was clear that he decided he liked me before I stepped into his office - which was nice (my file's a bit odd, so I think he was intrigued).

He was kind and inquisitive - my stats (which are tad below Columbia's ave.) were not brought up at all. He did really want to know about my formative years (I have Crohn's Disease and had to tube feed myself for two years) and my artistic and theatrical pursuits - we talked for nearly half of my interview about my voice (I'm a classically trained countertenor) and just music in general. Oh, and a lot about travel (I traveled to about 20 countries while in college).

I got the feeling he hand picks each person for the entering class. He wants people who are passionate about other things besides medicine - Columbia's really awesome that way - about cultivating a doctor who is well rounded and brings unique experiences to his/her class. That's why the people there are, well, pretty amazing - and very talented. It seems like a wonderful student body.

I should say that I went to Columbia - for my postbacc program - and my Columbia advisor said that if you're selected to interview with Dean Frantz it can only help you; if he's nice to you and receptive to your story, rumor is you're in. But, guess we'll have to wait until late Feb/early March to know for sure!

To those who have yet to interview at Columbia - it's INCREDIBLY chill; so just be yourself!

Hey all,

We have some pretty receptive student advisors here who do lunch with us twice a month. At one of our lunches, we asked our advisor (who is an interviewer and is on the admissions committee) this very question.

He said that if you are granted an interview, it generally means that you have made the "cut-off" in terms of grades and scores (merely showing that you can "cut it" in medical school), and that what they look for at the point of the interview is somebody interesting, and somebody who will contribute to the class (as ajt stated much more eloquently above).

Hope this helps!

Good luck all -- :luck:

I interviewed at Columbia a week ago with Dr. Hutcherson (from the minority affairs department) and my interview was literally 15 minutes. It was a positive interview with her finishing off by saying "we'd love to have you, there is no reason why you shouldn't be accepted, this is a good fit for you, etc..." Then i talked to 3 other people who interviewed that day with her, and found out she said that to all of them as well.

Now i have no idea how much the interview actually mattered or counted for anything. I was hoping that the interview would matter more because my gpa is not the best...

Any thoughts? :(

I am really upset...Columbia was my top choice and I had a really bad interview there. I stumbled over my words, and the interviewer wasn't interested in anything I was saying. He even ended the 20 min interview saying "well I dont have all day." I have decent ECs and stats above their average, but does that no longer matter now after how bad the interview was? Has anyone there gotten in despite an incredibly bad interview?

bleh4788 said:
I am really upset...Columbia was my top choice and I had a really bad interview there. I stumbled over my words, and the interviewer wasn't interested in anything I was saying. He even ended the 20 min interview saying "well I dont have all day." I have decent ECs and stats above their average, but does that no longer matter now after how bad the interview was? Has anyone there gotten in despite an incredibly bad interview?

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I really don't see how one can recover from a very bad interview at Columbia. They place quite a bit of emphasis on it. Besides, if one could get in despite a bad interview, what would be the point of an interview? I will say one thing, however: several students I talked to at Columbia said that they got in after pleading for a second interview by mail to Dr. Frantz. That might be a good bet for you... It apparently shows that you are committed to the school.

missbonnie said:
I know in my case the interview mattered a lot. But I don't think it makes or break you really. Dr Frantz is looking for particular types of ppl to fill the class. Most of the rumors u hear are probably somewhat based in truth.

b

What rumors are you referring to? I'll be interviewing at Columbia this week, and would love to know exactly what kind of particular type they're looking for. Don't keep me in suspense any longer!

arisunomori said:
What rumors are you referring to? I'll be interviewing at Columbia this week, and would love to know exactly what kind of particular type they're looking for. Don't keep me in suspense any longer!

bump.

The music and rugby thing? or something else?

Just curious but when do you find out who your interviewer is? I have an interview next week...do they tell you when you get there or can you find out ahead of time?

riven5 said:
Just curious but when do you find out who your interviewer is? I have an interview next week...do they tell you when you get there or can you find out ahead of time?

They tell you right when you get there. You receive the Columbia student handbook (and a bag with some financial aid info). Your interviewer's name (and his/her specialty) is listed on the corner of the handbook.

If you don't interview with Dr. Frantz, your interview's bio is listed on the back of the handbook (the text is printed onto a large sticky label that's affixed to the book's back).

I interviewed with Dr. Frantz, so they were like, "You're interviewing with Dr. Frantz. He's the Dean of Admissions. He specializes in (Ped?) Endocrinology." I was like, "um, okay. neat-o." Apparently, he doesn't need an extra blurb...

PM me if you have any more questions...

arisunomori said:

probably too late for your interview this week but ...

general rumor - P&S needs ppl to fill up their clubs - like rugby team and musician's guild, choir, and bard hall players. i.e. play rugby, sing or play a classical instrument, or be an actor. or pretend to be all 3. i'm half joking ... but we have a lot of the above in every class. PM me with any questions. I don't check this board often anymore.

p.s. it's finals time right now for both first & second yrs soo.. let's just say some of us might be stressed.

b

So, I felt like my interview last week went very well. It wasn't with Dr. Frantz, but with another member of the faculty. We seemed to have a lot in common, and I got the feeling that he liked me and my application. That I did very little of the talking worries me a bit, but we ended up having a very interesting conversation. It was so low stress, I can't imagine why I ever worried about interviews in the first place.

However, after all that has been said here, I wonder if his opinion carries as much weight as Dr. Frantz, whom I didn't even get the chance to meet. It would seem that since the Dr. Frantz hand picks the class (or so we hear) I'm at a disadvantage. Wonder what you think? Does anyone know what takes place after the interviews? Do interviewers write a letter on their interviewees behalf? Or do they meet as a committee that includes the dean?

Thanks for your advice!

arisunomori said:
So, I felt like my interview last week went very well. It wasn't with Dr. Frantz, but with another member of the faculty. We seemed to have a lot in common, and I got the feeling that he liked me and my application. That I did very little of the talking worries me a bit, but we ended up having a very interesting conversation. It was so low stress, I can't imagine why I ever worried about interviews in the first place.

However, after all that has been said here, I wonder if his opinion carries as much weight as Dr. Frantz, whom I didn't even get the chance to meet. It would seem that since the Dr. Frantz hand picks the class (or so we hear) I'm at a disadvantage. Wonder what you think? Does anyone know what takes place after the interviews? Do interviewers write a letter on their interviewees behalf? Or do they meet as a committee that includes the dean?

Thanks for your advice!

who was your interviewier? I think depending who they are, they advocate for their interviewees (who they liked anyway). I hear the interviewer does a write up and it goes to your file. The committee doesn't meet till Jan to review all files. I didn't have Frantz either. I still really have not even met Frantz to tell u the truth ...

bonnie