Columbia Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scooby Doo

IEatShavedPussyCats
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Today I received a snail mail from Columbia requesting me for an interview on Sept. 19th.

Now I seem to have a problem.
I was planning on doing st. louis on the 18th. vanderbilt on the 20th. and now this is supposed to be on the 19th? Are they friggin crazy?
Has anyone tried to do this three days in a row?
I think I am going to delay one of them.
Wow, I am really happy though :)
Don't worry you guys (who don't have interviews)..they'll start coming in anytime now!

Members don't see this ad.

Scoob..

Congrats!

Would you tell me when you sumitted to AMCAS and when they verified you?

I am trying to get a handle on my timing.

Thank you

Hey,

I submitted my application on: August 14th

They got my letters of rec on: August 16th

I got an email saying my file was complete on: August 24th

The interview letter is postmarked: August 29th

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by ScoobyDoo:
•Hey,

I submitted my application on: August 14th

They got my letters of rec on: August 16th

I got an email saying my file was complete on: August 24th

The interview letter is postmarked: August 29th•

Did you submitt you AMCAS primary or your Columbia Secondary on Aug 14th (I am assuming you mean your secondary)

When was your primary AMCAS submitted? And when was your primary AMCAS verified?

Thanks for the info though...

Originally posted by Loki:

Did you submitt you AMCAS primary or your Columbia Secondary on Aug 14th (I am assuming you mean your secondary)•
Columbia is a NON-AAMCAS school, so I'm assuming he submitted the entirely different web application to Columbia that day (which is the equivalent of the primary+secondary.)

Gottcha!

A light goes on!

Congrats on your Columbia interview. Great school. I just wanted to tell you that it might be in your best interest to try and extend your stay in NYC past your interview so that you can look over the area the med school is located in. I went to Columbia for my postabacc courses, and I can tell you that unless you are familiar with Washington Heights (the neighborhood where the med school is), you may not be able to make a completely informed decision about whether or not you would like it there. Like I said, I went to Columbia for their postbacc program, which is located about fifty blocks south of the med school, which is north of Harlem. I went up to the med school though to volunteer at Columbia Pres Hospital weekly, and felt that it would be a difficult environment for me to study in, so I am not really considering Columbia as a possibility. I know other fellow postbaccs in my program that feel the same way. Then again, for some it is a great to place to study medicine. I think though you need to get a good feel for the neighborhood, more so than at other schools, before you can determine whether you want to accept their acceptance offer should you receive one. Anyway, good luck at the interview.

Congratulations, Scooby! That's fantastic!

I completely agree with Georgey...if you can rearrange an interview, I would try to schedule a bit more time to really investigate Columbia & its neighborhood. I'm a student at Barnard (right across the street from Columbia's main campus near Harlem), and many times upon visiting the Health Sciences campus I've found myself wondering if the place would be conducive to learning. It took a few walks around the neighborhood itself to finally convince me. It's not the typical college or "chic NY" environment that you might expect...not seedy, but not particularly a cozy area either.

Whatever you decide, best of luck with the interview, and congratulations! Its such a great school.

PS...If you have time, check out the library and find the little-known "rare collections" section. The librarians in this tiny alcove are eager to talk about their collection...there are reams of old documents about the history of medicine. Last semester I discovered volumes of Egyptian medical papyri there in my search for info for an anthropology paper.