• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.
  • Free admissions webinar for pre-vets! “Apply Smarter” Webinar

Kremlar

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 28, 2005
159
0
42
Brooklyn ny
Status
Pre-Dental
Just wanted to let you all know, those that are waiting to hear from columbia, your letters should be on their way... I got mine today, unfortunatley it was a rejection letter, but it was postmarked for Dec 1st... and I am in NY, bout an hour from the city... Got my heart racing for a few moments to say the least... Just wanted to give the heads up... GOOD LUCK ALL
 

syn_apse

Registered Loser
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2005
755
5
Status
sorry about that kremlar :(

i hope you get some good news soon! :luck:
 

drengineer

Back to surfing!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2005
598
1
Status
Don't give up yet. You will get in somewhere, i have a feeling.
 
About the Ads

Kremlar

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 28, 2005
159
0
42
Brooklyn ny
Status
Pre-Dental
drengineer said:
Don't give up yet. You will get in somewhere, i have a feeling.
Hows your percentages been usually when you get those feelings?? I hope the numbers are high!!!....lol... I got the letter from columbia, it was exciting because it was postmarked for the 1st, I didnt think they sent out rejections like that, I thought those went out any time.. Regardless, I had hope for a few seconds, but didnt expect much, I read somewhere columbia is only taking students with 22+ DAT scores and I knew I wasnt even close..
 

Dr. Parm

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2005
114
0
Status
Pre-Dental
Kremlar said:
Hows your percentages been usually when you get those feelings?? I hope the numbers are high!!!....lol... I got the letter from columbia, it was exciting because it was postmarked for the 1st, I didnt think they sent out rejections like that, I thought those went out any time.. Regardless, I had hope for a few seconds, but didnt expect much, I read somewhere columbia is only taking students with 22+ DAT scores and I knew I wasnt even close..

I am sure you will be accepted in atleast a couple of dental schools by the end fo the app. process. Besides, who really cares where their dentist goes to school anywayz. Secondly, I do not know about the 22+ score thing...cuz I DID have that score and got looked down upon by my interviewer, who claimed that anyone could cram for a week and get that score lol. So it just means that admissions are nothing but a crap-shoot. U may or may not get in. Hang in there buddy, something will come your way fo sho.
 

r0entgen

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2005
427
1
Status
Dr. Parm said:
.cuz I DID have that score and got looked down upon by my interviewer, who claimed that anyone could cram for a week and get that score lol.
i agree with that though...maybe not a week...but one could cram for a short period and do well on the DAT. it's just a memorisation test...one can commit anything to memory with devoted time.
 

pbure

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2004
688
0
39
Canada
Status
Dr. Parm said:
I am sure you will be accepted in atleast a couple of dental schools by the end fo the app. process. Besides, who really cares where their dentist goes to school anywayz. Secondly, I do not know about the 22+ score thing...cuz I DID have that score and got looked down upon by my interviewer, who claimed that anyone could cram for a week and get that score lol. So it just means that admissions are nothing but a crap-shoot. U may or may not get in. Hang in there buddy, something will come your way fo sho.
i also heard about the 22+ thing at columbia..but if you'll check the acceptance thread you'll see someone named Mich252 got accepted..and her dats were 21/20/18
 

Mich212

Mich212
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 31, 2005
65
0
NY, NY
Status
pbure said:
i also heard about the 22+ thing at columbia..but if you'll check the acceptance thread you'll see someone named Mich252 got accepted..and her dats were 21/20/18
While I am sure that Colubmia will accept many people with exceptional DAT score everyone has to keep in mind that there are more factors that play a role into earning an acceptance. GPA and where you attended college I believe have a lot to do with it. Also, not to diminish my acceptance, but one of the students at Columbia metioned this to me, and it seems to make sense that Columbia likes to accept qualified students who's residence in already in NYC because they will most likely live off campus and not take a spot in the limited student housing. With that said, my family lives in NYC. Hope that clears up some things. I am more than happy to answer any questions. GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE
 

cowsgomoo

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2004
684
0
Alpharetta, GA
Status
Hope I get a big fat packet from them tomorrow. :eek: :eek:
 

Kremlar

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 28, 2005
159
0
42
Brooklyn ny
Status
Pre-Dental
Dr. Parm said:
I am sure you will be accepted in atleast a couple of dental schools by the end fo the app. process. Besides, who really cares where their dentist goes to school anywayz. Secondly, I do not know about the 22+ score thing...cuz I DID have that score and got looked down upon by my interviewer, who claimed that anyone could cram for a week and get that score lol. So it just means that admissions are nothing but a crap-shoot. U may or may not get in. Hang in there buddy, something will come your way fo sho.

Thanks everyone, you have all been very encouraging and supportive...
I truly appreciate it... Your right, like you said, most people dont care what school you go to, your still a dentist.. I mean I have preferences (Cough.. Nova or Buffalo... Cough...), but would still take any offer extended to me if I got only 1... All of the schools are quality schools.. As for what I mentioned about the 22+ from columbia, it's not a fact, just something that has been floating around on this message board... So I dont think it applies to everyone and I don't know what interviewer told you that you can cram for a week and get a 22+ on the DAT, musta been a smart fella to be able to look down on you for getting that TERRIBLE, HORRIBLE, AWFUL score... lol...
That is certainly their loss... I dunno, this whole process seems a little weird to me... What the heck are they looking for?? I guess it's who you know or the crap shoot.. You have people posting "YAY, I got in" with a 17 on the DAT and a 3.0 GPA, and others who have high marks saying they got nothing... Diversity is good, but you have two completley opposite ends of the spectrum here..
 

Kremlar

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 28, 2005
159
0
42
Brooklyn ny
Status
Pre-Dental
Mich212 said:
While I am sure that Colubmia will accept many people with exceptional DAT score everyone has to keep in mind that there are more factors that play a role into earning an acceptance. GPA and where you attended college I believe have a lot to do with it. Everytime I went on an interview they schools said that they were impressed with my grades considering the institution I was coming from. I also think I had one of my better interview experiences at Columbia. Also, not to diminish my acceptance, but one of the students at Columbia metioned this to me, and it seems to make sense that Columbia likes to accept qualified students who's residence in already in NYC because they will most likely live off campus and not take a spot in the limited student housing. With that said, my family lives in NYC. Hope that clears up some things. I am more than happy to answer any questions. GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE

Hello Mich... I am sure there is much more to the acceptance than a 22 on the DAT, I just read that somewhere on this forum and mentioned it.. My overall application is competitive, ive earned good grades, went to a good school for undergrad and I AM a NY resident, I live in Brooklyn.. But my DAT score was definitley the nail in my coffin... Not that I needed exactly a 22 or higher to get in, but I wasnt even close... So I wasnt surprised..
 

drengineer

Back to surfing!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2005
598
1
Status
cowsgomoo said:
Hope I get a big fat packet from them tomorrow. :eek: :eek:
Cowsgoomoo... congrats on those acceptances! See... i told you that there was no need to find a corner to cry for yourself. I think you should find a corner for me so that i can go and cry over there.

I haven't been this depressed all my life.

Kremlar... hold on man. You'll hear some good news soon.
 
About the Ads

Mich212

Mich212
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 31, 2005
65
0
NY, NY
Status
Kremlar said:
Hello Mich... I am sure there is much more to the acceptance than a 22 on the DAT, I just read that somewhere on this forum and mentioned it.. My overall application is competitive, ive earned good grades, went to a good school for undergrad and I AM a NY resident, I live in Brooklyn.. But my DAT score was definitley the nail in my coffin... Not that I needed exactly a 22 or higher to get in, but I wasnt even close... So I wasnt surprised..

I am sure that this whole process will would out for you and you will be a wonderful dentist. BEST OF LUCK, and keep me updated!
 

Mich212

Mich212
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 31, 2005
65
0
NY, NY
Status
Kremlar said:
Hello Mich... I am sure there is much more to the acceptance than a 22 on the DAT, I just read that somewhere on this forum and mentioned it.. My overall application is competitive, ive earned good grades, went to a good school for undergrad and I AM a NY resident, I live in Brooklyn.. But my DAT score was definitley the nail in my coffin... Not that I needed exactly a 22 or higher to get in, but I wasnt even close... So I wasnt surprised..

I am sure that this whole process will would out for you and you will be a wonderful dentist. BEST OF LUCK, and keep me updated!
 

asd

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 9, 2005
132
0
Status
Pre-Dental
Dr. Parm said:
I am sure you will be accepted in atleast a couple of dental schools by the end fo the app. process. Besides, who really cares where their dentist goes to school anywayz. Secondly, I do not know about the 22+ score thing...cuz I DID have that score and got looked down upon by my interviewer, who claimed that anyone could cram for a week and get that score lol. So it just means that admissions are nothing but a crap-shoot. U may or may not get in. Hang in there buddy, something will come your way fo sho.

who was your interviewer...because i had a similar experience... does his last name start with an "M" and end with an "I" ;) . He told me on the interview that "we have a huge problem here, your DATs are way too low and we dont interview students here with that"

he also told me that I "will be a dentist someday"-- THANKS--
If they didnt "interview students like that," then why was I interviewed??????? I loved the school tho, and i would love to go there if i were to get in :D !!!!!
 

cowsgomoo

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2004
684
0
Alpharetta, GA
Status
Anyone hear from Columbia today? Nothing on my end. :( :( :(
 

pbure

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2004
688
0
39
Canada
Status
cowsgomoo said:
Anyone hear from Columbia today? Nothing on my end. :( :( :(
with your dats and 4.0 i wouldnt worry about it too much..
is columbia your #1 choice tho?
 

cowsgomoo

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2004
684
0
Alpharetta, GA
Status
pbure said:
with your dats and 4.0 i wouldnt worry about it too much..
is columbia your #1 choice tho?
:D :D Hell yeah!!!! I really want to go to Columbia. :D :D
 

E. coli

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2005
136
0
Status
asd said:
who was your interviewer...because i had a similar experience... does his last name start with an "M" and end with an "I" ;) . He told me on the interview that "we have a huge problem here, your DATs are way too low and we dont interview students here with that"

he also told me that I "will be a dentist someday"-- THANKS--
If they didnt "interview students like that," then why was I interviewed??????? I loved the school tho, and i would love to go there if i were to get in :D !!!!!
Seriously, why would they interview you for the spot if they said that your DAT score wasn't good enough. That's such a waste of time for you and the interviewer if they weren't going to let you in from the beginning because of the DAT.

This admission process is definitely very random. Maybe they just do that to see what your reaction is and how you would explain for your DAT scores.

Maybe you will get an acceptance soon, who really knows?
 

La Miraflorina

Dental Diva
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2004
237
0
Bmore, MD
Status
Dental Student
cowsgomoo said:
Anyone hear from Columbia today? Nothing on my end. :( :( :(
NOTHING :(

I got all excited because I saw a huge manilla envelope in the mailbox with a certified mail tag on it. But then I saw it was from Maryland, which is great, but I already knew I was in there. This waiting is AWFUL!! I guess now we all have to wait until Monday....

:luck:
 

LadyxJC

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2004
326
0
Status
Nothing... :confused:
 
About the Ads

Dr. Parm

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2005
114
0
Status
Pre-Dental
asd said:
who was your interviewer...because i had a similar experience... does his last name start with an "M" and end with an "I" ;) . He told me on the interview that "we have a huge problem here, your DATs are way too low and we dont interview students here with that"

he also told me that I "will be a dentist someday"-- THANKS--
If they didnt "interview students like that," then why was I interviewed??????? I loved the school tho, and i would love to go there if i were to get in :D !!!!!

ASD!!!!!!!!!!! We had the same interviewer!!!!!!!! He totally unloaded on me for the first 30 mins, and in the next 15 minutes he asked me about extra-curriculars and ended with "I am sure you will be a great dentist someday".
He was extremely condescending towards my application and made it seem that I had some kind of a "burden-of-proof" during the interview. Good luck to you ASD, I am sure you will get in, inspite of a tough interview. The fact that they make the interview tough might be because they are really interested in you. Keep up the hopes! :)
 

LadyxJC

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2004
326
0
Status
Dr. Parm said:
The fact that they make the interview tough might be because they are really interested in you. Keep up the hopes! :)
That is true... from personal experience, I can't say that I've had only good interview experiences at some of the schools I have been accepted at~ Good luck :)
 

Dr. Parm

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2005
114
0
Status
Pre-Dental
Cowgoesmoo, why do you want to go to Columbia? Do you like the fact that the Med and Dental students take classes together? I dont mean to sound mean, but I just an genuinely curious. I just want to get some pointers about the school. What do you like about them that makes them your #1 choice...besides their IVY status? Please let me know, it would be a great help. Thanks.


P.S. Which taal's do you know on the Tabla? I am a singer myself, have been for over 15 years now. Notes are no problem for me, but Taal is where i F*** up lol.
 

[email protected]

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 26, 2005
114
0
Status
I am really interested in knowing whats so great about Columbia? Please let everyone know whoever knows it.
 

oldboy

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2005
315
0
Status
I am really interested in knowing whats so great about Columbia? Please let everyone know whoever knows it.
Great:
-amazing comprehensive education (Didactic)
-High specialization rates (95% post grad, ~50%specialists)
-NYC!!!
-Enthusiastic charismatic faculty and a dean whose wardrobe costs more than four years of dental school
-Rubbing shoulders with Nobel Laureates in the elevator.
-Bragging rights for the rest of your life (ivy)
-Post graduate support is outstanding

Not so great:
-Tuition
-NYC
-Clinical training not as extensive as some schools
-It helps to speak spanish, cause most of your patients do.

I don't go to Columbia and all this is just speculation on my part, but I think you should go to the best school you can and worry about the $ later because it will come. You only get to do this once.
 

drengineer

Back to surfing!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2005
598
1
Status
People, please post here as you hear from Columbia. I know a lot of people are interested.
 

BallDontLie

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
347
0
NYC
Status
Pre-Dental
drengineer said:
People, please post here as you hear from Columbia. I know a lot of people are interested.
I just got my acceptance letter today!! I was a little nervous at first because although it wasnt a slim letter, it wasn't a big fat packet either. It was just a plain medium sized brown envelope, so i didnt really know what to think....but then i opened it and YEEEEEEEEEEAHHHH!!!! :D :D :D
 

cowsgomoo

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2004
684
0
Alpharetta, GA
Status
nrlee said:
I just got my acceptance letter today!! I was a little nervous at first because although it wasnt a slim letter, it wasn't a big fat packet either. It was just a plain medium sized brown envelope, so i didnt really know what to think....but then i opened it and YEEEEEEEEEEAHHHH!!!! :D :D :D
I got mine too!!!!! I am so damn happy!!!! :D :D :D Its been a hell of a ride.
 

uclaguy

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 14, 2004
83
0
Status
I got my acceptance letter this same time last year. I got drunk and then took a final...Columbia is a lot of work...but I guess it has the big name for a reason...dont be too afraid..but be ready to put in the work
 
About the Ads

LadyxJC

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2004
326
0
Status
still waiting for mine... :confused:

I interviewed not too long before Thanxgiving and was told that I would not be informed Dec. 1 because the committe won't be meeting due to the holiday. Does anyone know how many acceptances Columbia offers for their first round of acceptances?
 

drengineer

Back to surfing!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2005
598
1
Status
My heart has been bleeding since Dec 1st. Two waitlists and nothing more. I'm going to drown myself in a bucket of water if i don't hear good news from Columbia in the next couple of days.
 

pbure

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2004
688
0
39
Canada
Status
LadyxJC said:
still waiting for mine... :confused:

I interviewed not too long before Thanxgiving and was told that I would not be informed Dec. 1 because the committe won't be meeting due to the holiday. Does anyone know how many acceptances Columbia offers for their first round of acceptances?
i was wondering the same thing. does anyone know how many post-interview rejections columbia fires off? i've heard not too many but you can never be too sure.
 

bwa102

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 10, 2005
44
0
Minneapolis
Status
I haven't heard anything yet either, and I interviewed on the first interview day in September. Here's hoping the mail service in Minneapolis is slower than everywhere else.
 

La Miraflorina

Dental Diva
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2004
237
0
Bmore, MD
Status
Dental Student
Got my letter today... postmarked & mailed Dec 1st :D Good luck to you guys still waiting... there may still be good news. Lots of people heard before today, and I was freaked out... but it finally came... so there may still be letters floating around out there!

:luck: :luck: :luck:
 

Sephisabin

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 31, 2004
402
5
California
Status
Dentist
Mail usually only takes 3 days max to get across the country... how long can a letter from NY take to reach California?!? :confused:
 

alfie5884

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2005
166
0
NYC
Status
Dental Student
Kremlar said:
Just wanted to let you all know, those that are waiting to hear from columbia, your letters should be on their way... I got mine today, unfortunatley it was a rejection letter, but it was postmarked for Dec 1st... and I am in NY, bout an hour from the city... Got my heart racing for a few moments to say the least... Just wanted to give the heads up... GOOD LUCK ALL
Sorry about the bad news but it's their loss ;) My stats aren't really that great, esp my DAT 18AA/18TS/16PAT, and I haven't heard from them yet. I'm expecting to get a rejection letter any day now :laugh:

BTW, was your status on AADSAS updated? When was you app mailed out?
 

benbenxu

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2004
62
0
Status
La Miraflorina said:
Got my letter today... postmarked & mailed Dec 1st :D Good luck to you guys still waiting... there may still be good news. Lots of people heard before today, and I was freaked out... but it finally came... so there may still be letters floating around out there!

:luck: :luck: :luck:
Are they using permanent address or mailing address?
In the interview, I remembered they mentioned they would use permanent address instead of mailing address for offer letters. I hope that is not correct. I do not have any permanent address here and I used my old apt address as permanent address.
Will they send the offer letters together with rejection letters?
 

greenday

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2005
193
0
Status
Got my letter, but would give this chance to someone else.
Columbia aint my style.
 

Dr. Parm

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2005
114
0
Status
Pre-Dental
nrlee said:
I just got my acceptance letter today!! I was a little nervous at first because although it wasnt a slim letter, it wasn't a big fat packet either. It was just a plain medium sized brown envelope, so i didnt really know what to think....but then i opened it and YEEEEEEEEEEAHHHH!!!! :D :D :D
It most definitely is...great....to be...a MICHIGAN WOLVERINE...its great..to be...and so on..
 

Dr. Parm

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2005
114
0
Status
Pre-Dental
oldboy said:
Great:
-amazing comprehensive education (Didactic)
-High specialization rates (95% post grad, ~50%specialists)
-NYC!!!
-Enthusiastic charismatic faculty and a dean whose wardrobe costs more than four years of dental school
-Rubbing shoulders with Nobel Laureates in the elevator.
-Bragging rights for the rest of your life (ivy)
-Post graduate support is outstanding

Not so great:
-Tuition
-NYC
-Clinical training not as extensive as some schools
-It helps to speak spanish, cause most of your patients do.

I don't go to Columbia and all this is just speculation on my part, but I think you should go to the best school you can and worry about the $ later because it will come. You only get to do this once.
Post graduate support. I know you are just speculating but do you have valid arguments as to why you included this as one of Columbia's strenghts. Please let me know as I am in a decision-making conundrum.
 
About the Ads