1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Columbia Majority

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Woodsy, Mar 17, 2004.

1. Wow, seems like from the where are you going thread, the school with the most people from this forum is Columbia.

I can't wait to kill you all because now you are my competition and believe me, I'm gonna start trying and study everyday and night so I can destroy you! Beware! Guahhahahhahahahaha~:laugh: :laugh:

Ok...I'm just kidding. Seriously, I'm looking forward to meeting you all. It should be a fun class next year. It will also be my first time living in another country other than Canada (I've been away many times on vacation but not move out of a country).

If you folks want, PM me with your msn's or something.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. freedyx3

freedyx3 I'm Columbian
    7+ Year Member

So woody bud,

You decided to come to columbia for sure i see. Yeah I've been tellin people columbia dominating all other schools this year. So what made you finally decide tp come to columbia besides having the awesome opportunity to pound weights with me arnold style. And by the way you'll have to show me those videos that you were talkin bout before. Keep in touch, and see you this fall.

4. hi-speed513

hi-speed513 Member
    7+ Year Member

does anyone have an idea as to how likely/unlikely it is to be accepted from the waitlist at columbia? I got my waitlist letter today..the school is my first choice but i'm thinking very few people will turn down columbia if accepted...any input would be appreciated

5. speter33

speter33 S.D.N.'s Captain
    7+ Year Member

hi-speed513 when did you interview? I interviewed last friday just want to get an idea of how long i should wait to get a response. Thanks

6. Dr.BadVibes

Dr.BadVibes Membership Revoked
    Removed

Here is a tip for everyone. DONT STAY IN BARD HALL!

After my COlumbia interview, I took the initiative to goto Bard Hall and randomly ask someone in the hall if I could take a look at their room. Basically, if you stand up, spread your arms out, and then multiply by 2, that is the entire size of your room, length and width! :laugh:

Why do you think many people after 1st year get out of Bard????

7. freedyx3

freedyx3 I'm Columbian
    7+ Year Member

Well I think for most freshmen they don't have a choice. Its either bard or off campus.

8. Dr.BadVibes

Removed

I met a few first years who did not live in Bard but still lived on campus

9. Towers it is....

Coz I'm out of country they said i'm guaranteed res.

Freddy, first we got to find a good gym. Hopefully the one in Bard is decent.

The first thing I'm gonna do after I unpack is look for the gym.

All these people sayin' they reppin' the East coast, West Side, Dirty South...well I'm comin' down from the GREAT NORTH.

Avin, my main reason for going down is that I want to start a new life.

10. Mangocat

Mangocat Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Yo,
    Can anyone tell me if Bard has any sort of kitchen? I'm wondering if people there are on some meal plan or have a kitchen on the floors? I can't imagine eating otherwise.

11. Dr.BadVibes

Removed

I was curious about this same question, so I asked the residence office when I was wandering around Bard like a stalker. Only one kitchen in the entire building!!! Can you believe that??? When I asked the lady, how the hell was I supposed to eat, she said..."well, there are a lot of places in the area to eat".....better join Woodsy and the gang at the gym otherwise your looking at the freshmen 15 for sure.

The guy who was in the room I took a look at had a microwave, and a mini fridge in his room....plus a small grill to cook food....as you can imagine, there was NO room left for anything else....Beware of Bard if you can!

Thats cool....just wonder if you would have given me the same answer if it was another private university that was not Ivy League....

12. discolphie

discolphie Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Bard Hall... is "authentic" dormitory style.. that means no bathrooms in each room...its at the end of the hall and co-ed... and no kitchens in each individual room either.. I think some floors have small kitchenettes at the end of each floor and there's also one on the ground floor... so you'd have to lug all your food and things and trek down there.. there is a cafeteria downstairs if i remember..

13. mobius

mobius Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

that sux live off campus

14. StarGirl

StarGirl .....
    10+ Year Member

i live in bard... i have my own bathroom tho...but those rooms are hard to come by...

there's a kitchen on the 11th floor...

there's still at least 10% of my class that's in bard, it's really not that bad if you make it homey.

15. Doggie

Doggie Professional Jackass
    10+ Year Member

nothing beats towers tho.... :D

4 bdrm, 2 baths, 1 living room/dining room, 1 kitchen, kickass city view! :smuggrin:

16. sarah

sarah Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

when I went in for my interview, dr. mcmanus said that they usually picked 2 or 3 from the wait list.

17. mcmanus is jokes

such a nice guy.

18. StarGirl

StarGirl .....
    10+ Year Member

i heard from this person i know that was waitlisted that columbia doesn't usually take people off the waitlist...(and she never did get off the list...) and i've never heard anyone getting off the waitlist...or maybe people just doesn't want to say...

19. folks, Pray that I get into U of Toronto and come to the conclusion that it is where I want to go.. That might free up a spot :laugh: :smuggrin: sorry.

20. Hercules4255

Hercules4255 Member
    10+ Year Member

Yay! I just got a confirmation letter from Columbia housing office...

I don't care where I'm gonna live... Bard or off-campus..

I'll be happy just to study at Columbia... :love:

21. Hey Herc, do you workout at the gym??

22. Hercules4255

Hercules4255 Member
    10+ Year Member

Woodsy

I like to jog or run outside rather than workout at gym... but I'm trying to get muscles..... Yeah, I really need to before school starts..

23. discolphie

discolphie Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

hercules,

yah man..if you need a jogging partner..im your man..

24. freedyx3

freedyx3 I'm Columbian
    7+ Year Member

Hey fellow columbians,

Just a reminder if you haven't already done it, can you guys please email me ([email protected]) with your name, email, SDN name, and instant messenger name. I'm trying to comply a list of columbia class of 2008 people so we can all be in contact with each other and maybe get together before school starts to hang out. It should be fun. So far I have bout 6 people but I think there's more of you out there. And when the list is done I'll forward it to everyone on the list.

thanks guys!:clap:

25. dentalchica

dentalchica Member
    7+ Year Member

hey guys,
    i actually went to columbia this past weekend for the day bc i was in nyc for spring break....im friends w/ a girl who goes there now and we checked out all the residence halls and i actually sat in for a few mins on various lectures...

about the living...georgian and the towers are the nicest i think...georgian's rooms are HUGE! the 2 bedroom i saw had a kitchen and bathroom (but no fam room)...bard does suck but their gym isnt too shabby...its no ballys but it has all the machines and weights....i think if youre out of state you're guaranteed anything but bard but if you're from around the area...you might not be as lucky!

hope that was helpful! :p

26. Bickle

Bickle future NYC taxi driver
    10+ Year Member

Fred,

I dont know about Columbia, but Tufts compiles a list of the class for incoming students for this very reason. You might want to call Columbia and ask if they do the same thing, it might save you the headaches of trying to make your own list.

27. alioops

alioops Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Just wondering if anyone knows when the first day of orientation is for Columbia. Thanks:)

28. Hercules4255

Hercules4255 Member
    10+ Year Member

Thanks discolphie.. I'll be your jogging partner... :)

29. Hercules4255

Hercules4255 Member
    10+ Year Member

As far as I know, CU orientation will be kicked off at the third week of August.. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm also wondering if anyone heard from Columbia after sending our deposit and transcripts. I did confirm that CU had received my stuff... but I'm very curious.... when I'll get some orientation info 'cause I'll be out of the country soon.... I don't wanna miss out...

Hercules4255

30. freedyx3

freedyx3 I'm Columbian
    7+ Year Member

Dentaldream,

My point is to compile a list of SDNers who are going to columbia. I think it'd be cool for us SDNers to get together and meet each other before class starts.

dentalchica,

I talked to a columbia grad who said georgian is nice but your window directly faces the ER room and every night its pretty loud. Did you notice the ER outside the window by any chance?