1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Columbia MCAT review

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Dr. Don, Dec 18, 2001.

1. Dr. Don

Dr. Don Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    hey, I will like to get some advice...have you heard of the columbia MCAT review course? have you taken it? is it good? do you recommend it? I took the August MCAT after take the princeton review course..scored well in my sciences but my verbal was weak, so just in case something goes wrong and I don't get in anywhere this year, I'm planning on preparing myself from the April MCAT, but I don't want to study off my princeton review material, any recommendations?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. italianlove

italianlove Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey Don,

Man, take another review course?! I am assuming that money isn't a problem and you are a masochist (just kidding about the last part). Anyway, I have heard of Columbia review and that their science teaching is very good, not sure about the verbal, however. In all honesty, if I were you I would just go over the science material (The BIG SCIENCE REVIEW BOOK) as you can see I took TPR too. Since you said that you did well on the sciences then this part of the test shouldn't be a problem for you. Then try to buy up as much TPR, Kaplan, and Columbia verbal passage/review material as you can and do passages every day on your own. I'm not sure if this is true for most but for me, I was in the same boat as you this past August (getting 11's and 12's in sciences and 7's in verbal), and what I did was just get up at 7 a.m. every morning and did 3 timed passages a month before the test. The verbal section is really more of a teach-it-yourself thing and so I wouldn't spend any more money on another course just for the verbal instruction. Just my two-cents worth. I hope things work out well, and good luck with everything! Ciao.

4. daisygirl

daisygirl woof
    15+ Year Member

Italianlove, I am curious as to how much your verbal score improved after retaking the test. I had taken Kaplan and I would not retake Kaplan (it would not hurt if my science scores improved a little but my verbal on the otherhand..). If I don't get into med school this cycle, I am going to have to retake the test to improve my vr. :rolleyes:

5. italianlove

italianlove Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey daisygirl,

Actually the August test was the first (and only thank God!!!) test I took. The tests I was refering to before were the TPR exams and then AAMC IV and V. My verbal reasoning scores were really all over the place: 7,6,9,8,5 so my average was about a 7. The biggest problem I had was finishing (I always left 1-2 whole passages blank). After lots of practice (the morning torture sessions) and a new reading technique I brought my verbal up to a 10 on test day in August.

Basically the reading technique consisted of skimming to get BASIC ideas of each paragraph and then try to connect each paragraphs individual ideas into a sentence to give me an overview of what I had just read. The August test was the first time I ever FINISHED the verbal section and I am convinced that the extra passages I was able to finish got me into the double digits.

I don't know what you scored in verbal but if you do retake I would recommend what I told Don to do. Like I said before, the verbal reasoning is really subjectively taught and learned and you have to find out what works best for you. I hope this helps, if you have any other questions let me know. Take care and good luck! Ciao.

6. daisygirl

daisygirl woof
    15+ Year Member

Italianlove,
    Thanks for the advice! :D I see that you are up all night like me! :D