Columbia medical university housing options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nel1955

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I’m going to be a medical fellow at Columbia next year and am looking at housing options near the hospital (161 Fort Washington Ave). They have given me the option to rent through the campus leasing program (various apartments from W 164th to W 170th street). I’m a single female and want to make sure this area is safe.

Anyone have any experience with the area?
Thanks for your help

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,
I’m going to be a medical fellow at Columbia next year and am looking at housing options near the hospital (161 Fort Washington Ave). They have given me the option to rent through the campus leasing program (various apartments from W 164th to W 170th street). I’m a single female and want to make sure this area is safe.

Anyone have any experience with the area?
Thanks for your help
We have a housing forum here
Housing Board (Temporary and Long-term)

and see what current residents/fellows can tell you about where they live. Maybe one is moving out!

Reactions: 1 user
I was once a NYP-columbia/cornell split resident, but did not live in Washington Heights. I elected to live in the UES (Upper east side) where you also have access to house staff housing and was closer to cornell. Tbh, I would probably choose to live in the UWS (Upper west side), its way more fun, more things to do, near central park, and overall a great place to live (if you can afford to do so) and take the A train up to CUIMC. Washington Heights is sort of in its own bubble and out of the way of the fun of saying you lived in NYC. Also, enjoy dating while in NYC -- it's such a giant conglomerate of various life forms lol.

Reactions: 1 user
I lived in the Columbia towers apartments in Washington heights. They were located near bard hall right on the medical campus.

Was safe way back in like 2009-2011, and from visiting seems even safer now. Lots of families live up there and the neighborhood has a nice chill vibe with good food. Would recommend!