Columbia MS in Nutrition-- Worth it???

Started by daisys
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

daisys

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's been a while since anyone has posted a new thread about the Columbia one-year MS in Nutrition...

I recently got into the program and I'm deciding between the MS and an MPH. I'm definitely leaning toward the MS, but Columbia carries a heft price tag $$$ and living in New York is also no cheap feat.

Besides the financial cons, I'm wondering how if the MS program is worth it?
"Worth it" being defined as...

1) Did you feel that the quality of education you got was reflective of the $50k tuition?
2) Do you think the MS program helps you in getting into medical school?

(I know it's not comparable to a SMP or post bacc, but just as a general comparison...)
3) What can you do with the degree if you do not go to medical school?
(one of my biggest fears is that I'll finish the program but get rejected by medical schools, and then I'll just have an "empty" degree)

any other comments would be extremely helpful too!!!
 
I know someone who took it and couldn't handle it. Although they had a degree in Psychology coming out of undergrad, jumping into metabolic nutrition/biochemistry courses are no walk in the park.
 
It's been a while since anyone has posted a new thread about the Columbia one-year MS in Nutrition...

I recently got into the program and I'm deciding between the MS and an MPH. I'm definitely leaning toward the MS, but Columbia carries a heft price tag $$$ and living in New York is also no cheap feat.

Besides the financial cons, I'm wondering how if the MS program is worth it?
"Worth it" being defined as...

1) Did you feel that the quality of education you got was reflective of the $50k tuition?
2) Do you think the MS program helps you in getting into medical school?

(I know it's not comparable to a SMP or post bacc, but just as a general comparison...)
3) What can you do with the degree if you do not go to medical school?
(one of my biggest fears is that I'll finish the program but get rejected by medical schools, and then I'll just have an "empty" degree)

any other comments would be extremely helpful too!!!

I have no direct experience with an MS in nutrition, but if your ultimate goal is medical school and you plan on being a practicing doctor, I think this is a waste of your money, especially if you haven't completed the pre-reqs for med school yet. There are so many other options for getting to med school more quickly and cheaply. Lots of good post-bacc programs (Columbia has one) carry a strong weight with medical schools.

I think a good litmus test for you would be to ask yourself, "Am I doing this for the educational experience primarily?" If you are interested in this primarily for the Columbia name or the hope that this will get you recognized by a medical school, then personally I think your money is better spent elsewhere.