Columbia or NYU???? Please help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Todds2be@work

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted to both, not sure where to go. They almost cost the same. I am not planning to go to any speciality. I will be happy running a general practice. Please provide your suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Todds2be@work said:
I have been accepted to both, not sure where to go. They almost cost the same. I am not planning to go to any speciality. I will be happy running a general practice. Please provide your suggestions?

go to columbia!!!!!

JessicaSimpson said:
go to columbia!!!!!

You get better clinical experience at NYU. If he/she is not planning on specializing, NYU is the way to go. No point in going to Columbia if specializing isnt in the plan.

Members don't see this ad :)
please go to Columbia. This is probably the easiest question on SDN. :p

Rezdawg said:
You get better clinical experience at NYU. If he/she is not planning on specializing, NYU is the way to go. No point in going to Columbia if specializing isnt in the plan.

This might be true, but you can get clinical experience after dental school. You only have one chance to go to columbia.

Todds2be@work said:
Go else where cheaper.

I have no plans to specialize. I am already 25 and I will be 33 if I do specialization. I do not want to live poor for that long.

JessicaSimpson said:
This is probably true, but you can get clinical experience after dental school. You only have one chance to go to columbia. A lot of dentists have no respect for NYU and that might be important to think about if you want to get hired as an associate before starting your own practice.

What does going to Columbia dental do for you? The name does nothing.

Todds2be@work, if you plan on living in NY after graduation, then go to Columbia, since doing a GPR is mandatory. However, if you plan on living in another state, then go to NYU. By going to NYU, you will be able to start as an associate immediately. If you go to Columbia, then you will need to do a GPR/AEGD regardless of where you work.

Dentists that I have spoken with frown on NYU.... Things may be different now, but they supposedly turn out more bad dentists than good.

This is just hear-say, I personally have no idea. If I were accepted to NYU, and not UF... I would have already bought my plane ticket.

-C

Rezdawg said:
What does going to Columbia dental do for you? The name does nothing.

Todds2be@work, if you plan on living in NY after graduation, then go to Columbia, since doing a GPR is mandatory. However, if you plan on living in another state, then go to NYU. By going to NYU, you will be able to start as an associate immediately. If you go to Columbia, then you will need to do a GPR/AEGD regardless of where you work.

I am from Toronto, Canada and I plan on moving back as soon as I finish DDS. So GPR is not mandatory for NYU to receive DDS, but for Columbia it is?

Todds2be@work said:
I am from Toronto, Canada and I plan on moving back as soon as I finish DDS. So GPR is not mandatory for NYU to receive DDS, but for Columbia it is?

I don't think it is. A lot of people say you need to do one after finishing columbia because you'll have minimal clinical skills at that point. The name is important not so much for getting patients, but for getting a job afterwards. If your family already has a dental practice, and all you need is a degree, go to nyu - though I hear it is just as hard as other dental schools, despite being so easy to get into. Otherwise, Columbia has more name recognition - you can probably travel anywhere with it. You can't say that for all schools.

Todds2be@work said:

You may change your mind about specializing once you begin to learn about dentistry. I think the choice is easy - a top tier vs middle tier school. Columbia will open more doors academically and possibly professionally as well. I have no idea about NYU's alumni network but seeing how many dentists they graduate it must be pretty big. If I were you I'd try and figure out which students were the happiest, why, and where you'll fit in best.

Todds2be@work said:

If you want to practice in NY state you must complete an AEGD, GPR, or specialty residency regardless of what school you graduated from. Obviously dentists who were licensed in NY before this law was passed are exempt. It doesn't matter if you went to NYU, Buffalo, or Columbia. To practice in Canada you will have to follow the steps for licensure in your country/province.

Members don't see this ad :)
Todds2be@work said:

Congrads, it's good to see another Canadian getting accepted. I say just go wherever you want, you don't need some strangers in a forum telling you where you need to go. At the end of all this, a dentist is a dentist, rather it's from NYU or Columbia, since you don't plan on specializing. Either one would be good, go where you are happy.

I am tired of all the school bashing in SDN, it's totally uncall for. My only advice is don't go just because of the name of the school. A dental school is more than just its name.

There are plenty of students who move to other states and feel perfectly competent to practice general dentistry out of Columbia. The fact that most students say that they feel unprepared to go into GP is because they spent most of their electives/free time doing specialty rotations during their externships. If you know that you are going into General Dentistry (by the way I think every student should do a GPR regardless of what school they go to) Columbia will be every bit as good as NYU clinically. Students here are also perfectionists and are not the type to start practicing if they don't feel ready. I will tell you that if you go here you will work very hard . . . the students here are very smart and vork very hard and you will have to as well to keep up.

Finance: Columbia will save you tons of money. The tuition is about $5,000 more at NYU and that area is way more expensive than where Columbia is. To go to Columbia you will spend about $250,000 compared to NYU's $320,000+ for 4 years. However, you will have much more fun at NYU probably--especially if you like going out.

Just FYI: Going to an IVY league school is so worth it. The faculty is amazing, they treat us very well, and the connections you can make here are already beyond my original expectations. Once you are in they take care of you. Then once you are out they take care of you.

SuperC said:
Dentists that I have spoken with frown on NYU.... Things may be different now, but they supposedly turn out more bad dentists than good.

This is just hear-say, I personally have no idea. If I were accepted to NYU, and not UF... I would have already bought my plane ticket.

-C

I heard the same about UF grads. I know a dentist that refuses to hire them due to lack of clinical experience. Very very very poor clincial exposure at the school

Plus NYU research dept pisses all over UF's...look at the recent research dollars and you will see NYU above UF

Does UF teach all their undergrad students invisalign, implant placement, and have the worlds top esthetic dept to learn in? I Don't think so!

A No brainer. The worst (reputation-wise according to many dental students) dental school (NYU)....or one of the top three dental schools. For the same tuition, u have got to be just humoring us to ask that question (not meant in a derogatory way, but just to emphasize the obviousness of the answer). Congratulations on your acceptances!

You guys act as if NYU is a dental school in a 3rd world country.

Dental school is dental school.

There isnt one dental school that only produces good dentists.

All dental schools have students that are very competent at graduation and other students who need additional training.

NYU is accredited based on the same measures and standards as other dental schools. Its a good school that produces many good dentists. You are not getting a subpar education by going there. Its stupid and ignorant to think so.

Rezdawg said:
You guys act as if NYU is a dental school in a 3rd world country.

Dental school is dental school.

There isnt one dental school that only produces good dentists.

All dental schools have students that are very competent at graduation and other students who need additional training.

NYU is accredited based on the same measures and standards as other dental schools. Its a good school that produces many good dentists. You are not getting a subpar education by going there. Its stupid and ignorant to think so.

It is not my intention to get personal here at all. However, Rezdawg, how do you explain the 250 seats that NYU has each year, compared to most schools in the nation that feel that even 120 is pushing it. Secondly, yes, a dentist is a dentist regardless of where they attend dental school. And I am definitely not putting down people who have no choice but to attend NYU. I would do the same in their situation. However, when presented with a choice between Columbia (75 students accepted) vs. NYU, I was only pointing out that the answer is pretty damn clear, and one would have to be stupid and ignorant not to see that. No offense ToDDS2b, you're awesome, u got into Columbia haha! :thumbup:

Dr. Parm said:
It is not my intention to get personal here at all. However, Rezdawg, how do you explain the 250 seats that NYU has each year, compared to most schools in the nation that feel that even 120 is pushing it. Secondly, yes, a dentist is a dentist regardless of where they attend dental school. And I am definitely not putting down people who have no choice but to attend NYU. I would do the same in their situation. However, when presented with a choice between Columbia (75 students accepted) vs. NYU, I was only pointing out that the answer is pretty damn clear, and one would have to be stupid and ignorant not to see that. No offense ToDDS2b, you're awesome, u got into Columbia haha! :thumbup:

Yeah, NYU has 250 seats...they also have the highest patient pool in the country. What does number of students have to do with anything when each student at NYU gets more clinical exposure than a student at Columbia? Number of seats is irrelevant.

Rezdawg said:
Yeah, NYU has 250 seats...they also have the highest patient pool in the country. What does number of students have to do with anything when each student at NYU gets more clinical exposure than a student at Columbia? Number of seats is irrelevant.

The availability of chair per student is at question here Rezdawg. I have no idea why you are pushing for NYU over Columbia, considering that you go to a well-reputed school such as Boston, but hey, whatever floats your boat. I am not one to judge, but am merely offering my two cents to the individual who posted the question in the first place.

Dr. Parm said:
The availability of chair per student is at question here Rezdawg. I have no idea why you are pushing for NYU over Columbia, considering that you go to a well-reputed school such as Boston, but hey, whatever floats your boat. I am not one to judge, but am merely offering my two cents to the individual who posted the question in the first place.

Im only saying that it shouldnt be so cut and dry. Columbia over NYU.

Lets look at the situation here. The original poster wants to do general dentistry.

First off, Its definitely fair to say that NYU is a better clinical school than Columbia.

Secondly, if you know you are going to do general dentistry, then you dont have to put yourself through hell to do well in school. You dont need top grades, you dont need 90+ on the Boards...you just have to perform on a competent level. Columbia is a tough a$$ school. If you go there, you are automatically getting yourself involved in a crapload more stress than necessary.

Thirdly, NYU is in a better location. If I did not want to specialize, then I would have many more nights available to go out. What better place to go out than where NYU is located?

Therefore, for someone going into general dentistry, I think NYU will give him/her a less stressful dental experience, while providing solid clinical experience, as well as a more exciting environment (location).

Now, if I was in that position, I would go to Columbia because Im 50/50 on specializing. I do believe that Columbia is the better school, but you also have to fit the needs of the students with the strengths of the school.

Dr. Parm said:

Just another pre-dent that doesn't know his head from his own a$$.

Sorry bud, complain all you want about the chairs but my fellow classmates never have a problem getting one. Plus we will have the newest clinics in the country. Yes you read right. 5th floor is already re-done. This summer they will re-do 4th floor and possibly 3rd floor.

The dean is spending to the tune of $28 million re-doing the school. Hmmm, sure sounds like the $hit hole you describe.

The school can more than accomdate the class size or the ADA would not give them accreditation.

Please know your facts before you bash a school you have no idea about.

Go ahead and take a look what we look like now. The whole school will look like this in the near future meaning next 3 years.

http://bluestonecenter.nyu.edu/

Hey!

Would you guys pick Pitt over NYU? With clincal experience, National Boards scores, cost, etc. taken into consideration. I'm also a NY resident :D

Brocnizer2007 said:
Just another pre-dent that doesn't know his head from his own a$$.

Sorry bud, complain all you want about the chairs but my fellow classmates never have a problem getting one. Plus we will have the newest clinics in the country. Yes you read right. 5th floor is already re-done. This summer they will re-do 4th floor and possibly 3rd floor.

The dean is spending to the tune of $28 million re-doing the school. Hmmm, sure sounds like the $hit hole you describe.

The school can more than accomdate the class size or the ADA would not give them accreditation.

Please know your facts before you bash a school you have no idea about.

Go ahead and take a look what we look like now. The whole school will look like this in the near future meaning next 3 years.

http://bluestonecenter.nyu.edu/

Great, you've made a personal attack that was completely unwarranted for. Definitely reflects on your maturity and ability to carry on civilized discussions. Please feel free to enjoy your over-priced NYU education while I stand a chance at an IVY league idegree.

Please remember, feel free to attack ideas, but refrain from making it personal.

alfie5884 said:
Hey!

Would you guys pick Pitt over NYU? With clincal experience, National Boards scores, cost, etc. taken into consideration. I'm also a NY resident :D

Dont know much about Pitt. Have heard good things though. They also have a new sim lab or something thats supposed to be tight.

Rezdawg said:
Im only saying that it shouldnt be so cut and dry. Columbia over NYU.

Lets look at the situation here. The original poster wants to do general dentistry.

First off, Its definitely fair to say that NYU is a better clinical school than Columbia.

Secondly, if you know you are going to do general dentistry, then you dont have to put yourself through hell to do well in school. You dont need top grades, you dont need 90+ on the Boards...you just have to perform on a competent level. Columbia is a tough a$$ school. If you go there, you are automatically getting yourself involved in a crapload more stress than necessary.

Thirdly, NYU is in a better location. If I did not want to specialize, then I would have many more nights available to go out. What better place to go out than where NYU is located?

Therefore, for someone going into general dentistry, I think NYU will give him/her a less stressful dental experience, while providing solid clinical experience, as well as a more exciting environment (location).

Now, if I was in that position, I would go to Columbia because Im 50/50 on specializing. I do believe that Columbia is the better school, but you also have to fit the needs of the students with the strengths of the school.

Although we do not agree on this issue, thank you for your constructive inputs. We can surely hold this as a pristine example of how a difference of opinion should be handled. It eventually is useless to interested parties if the post basically consists of foul language intended to incite a verbal fight. Its been fun Rezdawg, but I am officially not contributing to this particular post again. Peace bro.

Dr. Parm said:
Although we do not agree on this issue, thank you for your constructive inputs. We can surely hold this as a pristine example of how a difference of opinion should be handled. It eventually is useless to interested parties if the post basically consists of foul language intended to incite a verbal fight. Its been fun Rezdawg, but I am officially not contributing to this particular post again. Peace bro.

Its all good. The original poster had a chance to see two differing viewpoints. Hopefully, it helped, rather than confused him/her.

It helped him and confused him a bit. I had mind set for NYU, but now I got to know more about Columbia as well. I need to do little more research before Jan 15' 2006.