Columbia Postbacc and housing

Started by Crake
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Crake

I drive a Dodge Stratus!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anybody else having as much trouble as I am finding affordable housing in NYC? Any ideas?
 
It is quite difficult to find off-campus housing anywhere near College Walk that isn't already taken or being offered for over $2000 a month. I was actually offered a studio apartment that I'd "only have to share with 4 other people". 🙄

I have heard of people who find decent apartments online by searching with various keywords, i.e. "apartment under $1000" with "Morningside Heights" or "Harlem". Otherwise, I've been advised to live close to a bus route/subway stop that goes to Columbia, and if that fails, find something on the Metro North line. It all depends on your tolerance for city traveling, I suppose. I like the convenience of just walking across the street to class, but the premed advisors said at the PPS they just don't have room for all the Post-bacs. Oh well, that just gives me more study time on the bus. 😎
 
Crake said:
Anybody else having as much trouble as I am finding affordable housing in NYC? Any ideas?

You should definately look on Craigslist.com. maybe villagevoice.com. Columbia University has an off-campus housing office, which has a decent list of housing in the area. Its avaliable for students and employees of Columbia. You should definately try Morningside Heights or Harlem. Just stay close to the 1 or 9, which is what Columbia is off.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for your ideas everyone, I finally did find a place on w47th between 9 and 10th for 2000 (split between me and a roomate) which I think is pretty reasonable for a Manhattan apt. I ended up finding it on craigslist and looked at a bunch more before settling. I had to use a realator though, its kinda tough to find good stuff unlisted. Best of luck to anyone else who's still looking!
 
Hi,
This is actually my first time posting a message on SDN. 🙂 I just wanted to know some information about Columbia's Post-Bacc program. Is it extremly competitive to get into? What is the minimum GPA requirement? Im really intrested in attending this school and i want to know if i have a shot of actually getting accepted with a GPA ranging from 3.1 -3.3. If anyone can give me some information it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

DoogieHowser