1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Columbia Psychotherapy Exam

Discussion in 'Psychiatry' started by needinformation, Jul 26, 2006.

1. needinformation

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Has anyone taken the Columbia Psychotherapy Exam? How do you people prepare for it? Is this a big deal?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. MBK2003

MBK2003 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I've taken it twice, PGY-2 and PGY-3. No need to prepare, it's pretty low stakes. The material is generally covered in that Gabbard book "Long Term Psychodynamic Psychotherapy: A Basic Text."

MBK2003

4. PublicHealth

PublicHealth Membership Revoked
    Removed

As a psychiatrist, is it difficult for you to reconcile the fast-paced world of psychopharmacology with the sluggish pace of long-term psychodynamic psychotherapy?

Granted, not every psychiatrist wants to dispense drugs all day long (though financially this is the optimal strategy), but I cannot imagine doing med checks 10-min per patient, and then sitting down for an hour to do psychodynamic therapy. Perhaps it's just my Type-A personality?

5. outofhere

outofhere Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Most med checks are still 20 minutes long in psychiatry. I don't know of a psychiatrist that can do/want to do med checks in 10 minutes.

I much rather do psychotherapy than psychopharm, because I like asking questions, observing the patient, and explore various issues with him/her. I have been working with a woman for about 2 years, twice weekly, and that has been AWESOME. I have another guy that I have been seeing once weekly for about three years (the entire duration of my outpt clinic time), and that has been great too. I think most people end up doing psychopharm because it pays better.

6. Anasazi23

Anasazi23 Your Digital Ruler
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    That's pretty much all of third year psych residency...brief visits (med checks) interspersed with intakes, and 45-min therapy sessions, which may also incorporate pharmacological management.