Columbia Psychotherapy Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

needinformation

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone taken the Columbia Psychotherapy Exam? How do you people prepare for it? Is this a big deal?

Members don't see this ad.

needinformation said:
Has anyone taken the Columbia Psychotherapy Exam? How do you people prepare for it? Is this a big deal?

I've taken it twice, PGY-2 and PGY-3. No need to prepare, it's pretty low stakes. The material is generally covered in that Gabbard book "Long Term Psychodynamic Psychotherapy: A Basic Text."

MBK2003

As a psychiatrist, is it difficult for you to reconcile the fast-paced world of psychopharmacology with the sluggish pace of long-term psychodynamic psychotherapy?

Granted, not every psychiatrist wants to dispense drugs all day long (though financially this is the optimal strategy), but I cannot imagine doing med checks 10-min per patient, and then sitting down for an hour to do psychodynamic therapy. Perhaps it's just my Type-A personality?

Members don't see this ad :)
PublicHealth said:
As a psychiatrist, is it difficult for you to reconcile the fast-paced world of psychopharmacology with the sluggish pace of long-term psychodynamic psychotherapy?

Granted, not every psychiatrist wants to dispense drugs all day long (though financially this is the optimal strategy), but I cannot imagine doing med checks 10-min per patient, and then sitting down for an hour to do psychodynamic therapy. Perhaps it's just my Type-A personality?

Most med checks are still 20 minutes long in psychiatry. I don't know of a psychiatrist that can do/want to do med checks in 10 minutes.

I much rather do psychotherapy than psychopharm, because I like asking questions, observing the patient, and explore various issues with him/her. I have been working with a woman for about 2 years, twice weekly, and that has been AWESOME. I have another guy that I have been seeing once weekly for about three years (the entire duration of my outpt clinic time), and that has been great too. I think most people end up doing psychopharm because it pays better.

PublicHealth said:

That's pretty much all of third year psych residency...brief visits (med checks) interspersed with intakes, and 45-min therapy sessions, which may also incorporate pharmacological management.