Columbia Rad Onc Opening...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kape

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any insight into Columbia's radiation oncology program? Prior posts are pretty vague. Did they open up a spot b/c they didnt match this year?

How is their clinical training? They have 2 linac's and possibly a gamma knife & HDR machine. Furthermore, there are only 7 attendings, 1 who is the chair and 2 who are MD/PHD in lab 80/20; with only 4 full time attendings and 2 Linacs, is there enough volume? Do they allow residents to rotate at sloan for possible deficiencies (eg peds, SBRT.)? Do they need fellowships? How do their residents do on oral boards?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone have any insight into Columbia's radiation oncology program? Prior posts are pretty vague. Did they open up a spot b/c they didnt match this year?

How is their clinical training? They have 2 linac's and possibly a gamma knife & HDR machine. Furthermore, there are only 7 attendings, 1 who is the chair and 2 who are MD/PHD in lab 80/20; with only 4 full time attendings and 2 Linacs, is there enough volume? Do they allow residents to rotate at sloan for possible deficiencies (eg peds, SBRT.)? Do they need fellowships? How do their residents do on oral boards?

I can't address all of your questions but can say that they did fill the spot they had in the match, through the match. They were not part of the SOAP this year.

In terms of faculty, I just wanted to say that I interviewed at many other programs with 7ish attendings, so that by itself shouldn't be considered a bad thing!

My classmate who also rotated here told me that a spot opened up because a resident transferred to another rad onc program.

I have some perspective b/c I rotated at 3 NY programs including Columbia this cycle and matched elsewhere. They actually have 4 lilacs, HDR, CT sim, and a gamma knife. 8 attendings I think. Protons possibly coming in a new building. Busy peds and brachy volume. Saw a bunch of SBRT. They have plenty of volume and their MD/phd attendings actually are more like 60% clinical and 40% lab. On the flip side, some faculty are clinical only and didn't really have any research. The residents gave lectures but there weren't any faculty lectures when I was there.

I rotated with 3 different faculty. There's 6 residents but only 4 around since some are on research. Residents were pulled by two different faculty simultaneously to see their patients, covering and preparing for both attendings consults not knowing which one to actually have to see. Residents have to check all the daily on beam films and CBCTs in real-time since the techs are unionized and don't have to do it. My resident was running in and out of lecture and consults every 5 minutes to check patient alingment.

The residents themselves are mostly chill but the structure seemed a total mess. The residents seemed unhappy with the workload. When I was there an attending even said nothing really changed since the program came off ACGME probation last year. I really wanted to like this place but other places in town I interviewed at told me to avoid it.

On the upside, everyone was really friendly and it's NYC after all. You can get Cornell housing if your lucky and there's a free shuttle to Columbia. I stayed on the upper east side and took it daily. With the new building expansion, hopefully things will improve. Hope that helps the OP.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've never heard of this union/CBCT business. Can anyone elaborate?

I'm a current Columbia resident, so I hope I can shed some light on this topic.

Our current structure is 6 residents, with each one guaranteed 6 months protected research time (usually taken during PGY4 year). An additional 6 months of research time is allowed for those who secure grant funding, which we are strongly encouraged to seek. At ASTRO last year, residents had 3 oral presentations and 1 poster discussion, which I don't think is bad for a small group.

Clinically, we have 3 linacs, a new HDR brachytherapy suite, 1 CT sim, and a Gamma Knife Perfexion. Construction just finished on an expansion to the department that adds 2 more linacs, another CT sim, and doubles the number of exam rooms available. An additional vault was constructed for expansion down the road; I heard mention of it being used for protons, but I have no idea if/when that may happen.

We have 7 attendings, who cover the full spectrum of disease sites. 2 are MD/PhD; one covers pediatrics and some breast, the other covers lung. Pediatric and SBRT volume is never an issue. Historically, patient volume hasn't been overwhelmingly high, so the thinking has been that all new patients and simulations should have resident participation. Frankly, this is where I get the most valuable learning, so I agree with the policy. I find the attendings to be extremely approachable and understanding; I have never had issue with seeing patients with 2 attendings. Residents also spend a couple of months at MSKCC, usually for more exposure to brachy with Dr. Zelefsky and another area that the resident has a particular interest.

Our didactic schedule includes formal radiobiology and physics courses. Radiobiology is taught by Eric Hall (who is a giant of radiobiology), with some additional lectures from other members of the Center for Radiological Research. On Wednesdays, we have a mix of attending-presented clinical topic reviews and resident-presented clinical case conferences. Wednesday conference is on hiatus in July and August, and resumes in September. Fridays have Grand Rounds, which are presented by residents, attendings from within the department and throughout Columbia, and visiting professors from other institutions.

This combination of clinical duties and didactics clearly has worked. I've seen the data, and all residents for the past 10 years have passed their boards on the first attempt. After graduation, residents are pretty evenly split between going into academics and private practice.

Is the program perfect? Obviously not. There are growing pains with all of the construction that has been occurring (thankfully almost done), and with the implementation of a fully electronic medical record system. The program was put on probation prior to Dr. Chao arriving as chairman 4 years ago, and is now fully accredited.

Speaking only for myself, I'm happy as a resident here. I think that I'm being well trained as a clinican and researcher. I feel like the chairman and program director are responsive to the needs of the residents, and are genuinely invested in continuing to improve the program.

I'm happy to answer any questions about Columbia and my experience here. Please email me at [email protected].

David Horowitz