Columbia Secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calichica44

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of the questions on the Columbia Secondary asks if your education has ever been interrupted. Does taking a year off between college and medical school count as an interruption? I would assume no, but I'm not sure.

Members don't see this ad.

One of the questions on the Columbia Secondary asks if your education has ever been interrupted. Does taking a year off between college and medical school count as an interruption? I would assume no, but I'm not sure.

I assumed that they wanted to hear about our year(s) off. I didn't call Columbia about this, but since Mt. Sinai told me that they consider a year off an interruption, I've used their policy everywhere else.

I would consider this as an interruption as a lot of students go directly from undergrad to med school. I just talked about the research that I'm doing while applying...If you're taking time off, they prob just want to see that you're doing something "constructive".
:)

Members don't see this ad :)
ok, thanks for the responses! whew, I just avoided one mistake.

I just called Columbia and the woman said it only applies if you took off time during college. Phew, b/c I already submitted and did not fill out that part. However, I doubt it could hurt.

I just called Columbia and the woman said it only applies if you took off time during college. Phew, b/c I already submitted and did not fill out that part. However, I doubt it could hurt.

Hmm, alright. Yet another reason to love medical schools' different interpretations of everything!

In any case, I doubt it'll hurt to have written this.