Columbia Spring 2009 - accelerated sequence

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MiPark

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Is anyone else starting the Columbia program in January of 2009.

Members don't see this ad.

Well I put in my deposit and stuff, so lookin like it!

I sent my application materials about a month ago but haven't heard back. I am interested in starting the accelerated sequence in 2009, but I actually applied for this fall because I was told it's pretty painless to defer. I wasn't sure what the situation would be as far as the chemistry placement exam goes. I think I'll need to take it as I didn't do any chemistry in college.

Just wondering too, how long did it take to hear back with a decision? Did they email, mail or do I need to keep checking the online tool? I don't anticipate having problems getting in, but I hesitate to change my life too much until I have a for sure acceptance. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well in my case I applied to start this Summer (May 20-something start I believe), but they didn't tell me until around May 8th, and that was with me bugging them via email. I'm currently living abroad and would have needed to organize my return to the states, etc. at the last minute so I chose to wait. Just so you know, they ended up letting me know via a pretty hefty express mailed envelope.

Deferring was completely painless, as the option is on a form included in the acceptance folder. Just check a box, send a check, and it's all set. I know for a fact some other schools out there require letters to the admissions boards, and huge deposits to do the same.

In the end, I'm looking at Columbia b/c the price is within the same range as the others schools I looked/was accepted at and they have a well established program, helpful staff, linkages, and a well written web site. Sounds silly to judge a program in part on a web site, but for example NYU's website for the postbac was/is ridiculously inadequate and since I couldn't physically visit the school it just wasn't enough for me.

Anyways, good luck, and hopefully we'll all meet up in a few months!

Wow, that's cutting it close. I guess it's good that I applied earlier than needed for my desired start date.

I agree about Columbia and its website - you can tell the program is more than just an afterthought. It isn't the cheapest postbac out there, but I think its reputation and experience getting non-traditionals into medical school still makes it a good buy. I lived in NYC for undergrad (actually went to NYU, but the Stern website is much nicer!) and it can be pretty affordable if you budget. It won't be the cheapest year or two of your life, but it shouldn't make a substantive difference in your overall debt either.

Thanks for the info and congrats on your acceptance! I look forward to meeting up as well.

I actually applied for the Fall 2008 program as well. I sent in my application November of 2007, and have bugged them since january. I don't think they started reviewing applications until late April or May. I started getting frustrated, so I emailed them an updated CV, with a change of address since I had moved, and two days later, I got the fed ex =). It doesn't hurt to keep calling, and checking in, but I believe that they are still reviewing apps for the Fall semester.

Also, just curious to know where everyone comes from since we'll all be starting in january 2009. =)

Fashion Designer
B.F.A Rhode Island School of Design 2006

Good luck everyone!

Not in yet, but hoping for a response soon. I'll go ahead and post my info.

I went to NYU and earned a B.S. in Finance, class of 2006. I've been working at one of the energy majors since then as a financial analyst.

I applied for a Fall 2008 start also, but have decided to defer until January 2009 for the accelerated sequence. I got my acceptance in almost exactly 4 weeks from the date I applied. I actually got an email congratulating me 2 days before I got the packet in the mail, so I was a little hesitant to spread the word!

I haven't had a problem communicating with the staff. Granted I've only emailed and called once about a small question, but they were prompt and polite...

I have a B.A. in Art History (2006) and I currently work at a museum in Los Angeles.

Has anyone heard when our PPS is? I hope they'll have one in December...

Congrats everyone! Can't wait to meet you in a few months!

Last edited:
I took MiPark's advice and called - got my acceptance that same week. I guess they're just a little slow sometimes.

Not sure when the PPS will be, but I was told that we would be receiving another folder with all the Spring '09 info. Congrats.

wow, so i'm a little shocked. i really want to get into Columbia Spring 2009 accelerated sequence as well, but i'll be done with my undergrad end of September (the date's weird cuz i'm finishing my degree with online classes). so i was thinking of applying then, since i need to have a completed undergrad degree and the deadline is nov. 1st, but you guys already applied and got accepted? wow, will i be too late? i really want to go to Columbia! it's my #1 choice for post-bac right now (due to the well-written web site AND the program's reputation, like many of you already mentioned..) what do you guys think? i'd love some input..

It's definitely not too late. We're just on the early end of things. Best of luck!

Hey, guys! I also applied for Fall 2008 but will be deferring until Spring 2009. I sent off my application on May 30 and my acceptance letter is dated July 9. I just graduated this past May with a BS in Health and Exercise Science from Wake Forest Univ.

dat240, did anyone mention by chance when we might expect to receive the packets containing spring information? I'm really curious as to when orientation and PPS's will be. I think it would be awesome if we could get all the planning done before January.

will anyone be applying for university apartment housing when the app becomes available in october? i'm hoping to get into a 2-person apt!

i'll definitely be keeping an eye on this thread over the coming months!

I was not accepted into the program and I believe it was for religious reasons. I had great stats, unique extra circular activities and I had great LOR.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm still thinking about applying for housing. Since I'll be moving from the west coast, it's probably the best and easiest thing to do, but I'd rather live a little further downtown and have a roommate or 2.

Hrm...I guess I'll apply and see what happens.

dat240, did anyone mention by chance when we might expect to receive the packets containing spring information? I'm really curious as to when orientation and PPS's will be. I think it would be awesome if we could get all the planning done before January.

will anyone be applying for university apartment housing when the app becomes available in october? i'm hoping to get into a 2-person apt!

samejame, they didn't give me a time estimate but I would guess that the new packets should be arriving in the next month or two. As far as the planning session, I'd think December or early January.

I will probably apply for university housing as apartment hunting in NYC is a pain. Whether I get it or not, I'm hoping to find a postbac roommate so we're on similar schedules.

for those of you who applied/got into columbia, were any of you science majors?

I did a bio degree, but i didn't fulfill all the pre reqs, and I have been wanting to take a postbacc.

for those of you who applied/got into columbia, were any of you science majors?

I did a bio degree, but i didn't fulfill all the pre reqs, and I have been wanting to take a postbacc.

My understanding is that Columbia (and most other formal postbacs) are for non-science majors. They are pretty clear about this and generally won't accept more than a course or two of science.

That said, I think there are informal programs (Harvard Extension School, etc.) that would allow you to fill gaps. Hope this helps a bit! Good luck!

Sent my app in this week. Representative with whom I spoke said expect a decision in four to six weeks . . . . I'll call to check in at the four week marker. In the meantime, I'm having my fingers crossed!

i finally got my packet for spring yesterday! i'm doing PPS and math placement test on November 12...and hopefully i'll be able to meet with my adviser later that day as well. i gotta find some good math review books, lol.

all you wonderful people who got into to columbia post-bacc,
what were your undergrad GPAs like if you don't mind me asking....?
i'm planning on sending my application sometime in November for Fall 2009.

I'm starting in January also. I defered from last semester like many of you seem to have done, but it was mostly becuase I didn't get housing and I wanted time to take pre-calc before I started. I went to a PPS in the summertime and was a little upset to learn they wanted me to come for another one since it cost a fortune last time just to fly up there for an hour long meeting when my advisor wasn't even there.

Do you guys know anyone who has taken the placement tests already? My math skills aren't my strongest and I'm really nervous that we can't use calculators. I'm so nervous that I'm going to get there in January (I'm planning on taking the tests and attending my second PPS during Orientation to save me a trip) and not place into calc and not be able to take any classes I need. I asked my advisor about the tests and she just said "alegebra and trig" - supremely unhelpful. So I was just wondering from someone who may have taken it or knows someone who has, if it is more conceptual and how hard it really is.

Thanks! I can't wait to meet all of you!

I've been reviewing like crazy for the placement tests. I'm also taking them in January during Orientation week to save the money on another trip. I feel fine about the Chem but the Math...I'm nervous too, especially for part II. If you hear of any more details on the test, let me know!

Did you apply for housing this time around? I just checked my app status and it said they are reviewing in November and December. Fingers crossed...

Yes, I did apply for housing again...and I'm hoping!

I haven't had much time to review for the tests, I keep saying I'm going to and then real life interferes. I do know that at my other PPS the advisor (not mine) said that we're all adults and if we miss passing the test by a little bit they will let us take it, becaue we're old enough to make our own decisions. It's just one of those, you can't come crying to us when you fail calc sort of things I think.

I got in for Spring! Received my acceptance last week . . . sent in the acceptance form, and the 200 bucks, the beginning of sending mountains of cash to the various steps in the med school process. I'm very excited!

I also applied for housing - coming from Berkeley, I hope they have a spot for me, so I'm not sleeping on a bench in Grand Central Station. I've been reviewing for the chem and math tests, which I hope to take in December. Oy gevalt . . . this math thang is slowwwwwly coming back to me. Hopefully, I'll be able to pull something off in chem, especially because my high school chem teacher had a nervous breakdown and left in the middle of the year. Needless to say, wasn't the most effective/edifying course.

Can't wait to see everyone at the orientation. Holy crap - I can't believe we're actually doing this!

Thanks!

Perhaps we should start some sort of "official" thread, or something? I'm interested in learning more about everyone, hearing housing plans, and when everyone plans to attend the advising sections and take the placement tests . . . .

Hey all. Just wanted to wish everyone luck! The Columbia Postbacc Program is tough, but gets the job done. I'm a 4th year now at Penn Med and about to head into residency...so I've been there, survived, bought the t-shirt, all that jazz. If you have any questions about logistics, etc., I'd be happy to help. (Granted, I'm old at this point, but will do my best.) Good luck, stay focused, and teach those pesky undergraduates a lesson or two!

Hey all. Just wanted to wish everyone luck! The Columbia Postbacc Program is tough, but gets the job done. I'm a 4th year now at Penn Med and about to head into residency...so I've been there, survived, bought the t-shirt, all that jazz. If you have any questions about logistics, etc., I'd be happy to help. (Granted, I'm old at this point, but will do my best.) Good luck, stay focused, and teach those pesky undergraduates a lesson or two!

Ooh, it's cliche, but, I kind of want to hear your most important pieces of advice for succeeding in the program, or perhaps things you wish you had known before beginning.

Thanks for your insight! Congrats on finishing Penn!

My advice would be to try and not get caught up in the process. A lot of times before exams - during review sessions especially - there's a LOT of nervous energy. Try and stay out of it as best you can, or at least not let it get to you (easier said than done). People really tend to focus on and worry about grades, but just realize that not every exam at Columbia will count (most classes have a drop policy) and there's a pretty hefty curve. When you don't understand something, don't avoid it. Really tease it apart until you get it. And work with your fellow students to get a different perspective on things, advice on how best to tackle problems, etc.

Other than that, just the usual - work hard, study hard. It's a different feel from undergraduate but I liked being a little older and having the balance of work and school. It was sort of fun. My social life took a drastic hit during midterms and finals, but it was worth it in the long run.

Lastly, try and get to know your advisory dean well. Schedule meetings just to chit-chat, check in every once and a while. There are a LOT of students in Columbia's program - and you have to make the effort to ensure the Deans get to know you.

PM me for anything else, as I don't want to hijack the thread.

Best of luck!
-Tony

Last edited:
Hi All!

After agonizing over whether to go to NYU (my alma mater) or Columbia to do my post-bacc, I decided to take the plunge and go with Columbia. No guts, no glory, or so they say. So I'll be seeing you all at orientation soon. I'm going to the Dec 17th PPS and doing my placement exams then too, hope I'll meet some of you earlier. :) Little anxious about the placement exams and have been reviewing quite a bit. Hope they aren't too bad, as I would like to get going with the core courses. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Congratulations!

Congratulations!

Anyone taking the placement exams on the tenth of December? I'm sweating away trying to relearn chemistry and precalc - ugh.

Hey FlyingBoat, I feel your pain! I was tempted to take the placements ASAP just to get them over with, but ultimately opted for a few more days of review. It's a lot of chem and math to cram into a few weeks time, and now I think I'm over-studying some things and under-studying others. And I don't really know what to make of the no calculator business, it could really go either way in terms of difficulty. I guess we'll all find out soon enough. Good luck!

What happens if one does indeed "fail" a placement test - do they have to take the extra courses concurrently? Or, does this throw off the the whole schedule of the accelerated sequence, which would truly piss me off.

That is what I'd like to know as well, because as FlyingBoat says, not being able to follow the accelerated sequence would really suck. Looking through the forums I found a post where someone had written that if you don't pass they make you sign a waiver that you are taking the coursework against their advisement. See here
Don't know if that's still the case, but seeing as that was from last year only, it's a good possibility. I'd love to hear if anyone else know more about this.

That is what I'd like to know as well, because as FlyingBoat says, not being able to follow the accelerated sequence would really suck. Looking through the forums I found a post where someone had written that if you don't pass they make you sign a waiver that you are taking the coursework against their advisement. See here
Don't know if that's still the case, but seeing as that was from last year only, it's a good possibility. I'd love to hear if anyone else know more about this.

Wow, I wonder if this is the precursor to us having patients sign forms that say they are leaving the hospital against medical advice! :D

LOL, that's a good way to look at it! Good luck to FlyingBoat and everyone else going for the 12/10 PPS and placements. Let us know how they go.

So, 12/10 exam folks...how'd it go?

We're anxiously awaiting your reply!

Yes, we certainly are, and the 12/12 people too now.

I took the plunge on 12/10, and passed all three. They were not as bad as I thought - though, I'm definitely glad I put all the time in to studying that I did - it'll definitely help with calculus. A few people at my planning session decided to immediately waive all the placement test requirements.

I took the plunge on 12/10, and passed all three. They were not as bad as I thought - though, I'm definitely glad I put all the time in to studying that I did - it'll definitely help with calculus. A few people at my planning session decided to immediately waive all the placement test requirements.

Hi,
How was the chemistry test? Was it multiple choice? I haven't had much time to study and am taking it tomorrow. Also, when during the PPS did people get to waive the tests because there was no mention of this on the 12th.
Thanks

Hi everyone,

So I'm beginning to fill out the app for Fall 2009 and I've noticed that they don't really specify one needs LOR... Is that true? Should I send them one just in case? You guys that got in...did you have LOR? If so, how many? I'd really appreciate any reply! Thanks!

I went to the 12/17 PPS and took all 3 placement tests and passed. The math exams were easy provided that you did indeed study the topics they listed. The tests stick to those topics and the problems do not require any difficult applications of the material, but you'd be well advised to review logs, trig etc if it's been awhile (like in my case). The chem exam was harder in the sense that it draws from a wide range of topics from high school chem. A little practice with stoichiometry and review of important equations will go a long way. I personally used Zumdahl's Introductory Chemistry textbook and Schaum's Outline of Precalculus to study for the exams. Both were at my local library. Also, google for some sample placement exams, if you can do well on those you'll be fine. And I agree with FlyingBoat, taking the time to study now can only be a good thing as I'm sure we'll all be very busy once the semester get's going officially.

@Stirka: When I went to the info session, they said that a LOR was not required, but would certainly not hurt. Since I needed one for another program, I had my recommender send one to Columbia as well.