Columbia vs. Cornell

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

proudofmykids

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those familiar with both programs, what are your thoughts?

-Match lists are extremely comparable.
-Interest in surgical subspecialty/orthopedics/pediatric-surgical etc.
-cost is a essentially the same

I won’t list thoughts about interview days so as to not bias feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

Columbia has a very slight prestige and better match list over Cornell but if you look at surgical subspecialties they're honestly the same. Columbia seems to have more ingrained in their curriculum to support early subspecialty exposure. I liked how Cornell is in a much better area and has closer proximity to fun things outside of school, was not of Columbia's area and I don't have any interest in picking up Spanish. At this caliber of school it's really up to personal preference and gut feeling.

Reactions: 1 users
Columbia is "higher ranked", but I interviewed at both and they had similar vibes in my opinion. Also, upper east side > washington heights in my opinion.

I'd also choose Cornell b/c of the smaller class size (more opportunities for students theoretically) and, if we're talking Ortho, HSS is affiliated w/ Cornell (electives you take here + mentorship will likely carry you a long way).

can we save this x vs y forum for people who are actually comparing 2 schools that they're trying to decide between, especially at this time of year?

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For those familiar with both programs, what are your thoughts?

-Match lists are extremely comparable.
-Interest in surgical subspecialty/orthopedics/pediatric-surgical etc.
-cost is a essentially the same

I won’t list thoughts about interview days so as to not bias feedback.

what is your neighborhood preference? And what are your reservations about attending either school?

Reactions: 1 user
can we save this x vs y forum for people who are actually comparing 2 schools that they're trying to decide between, especially at this time of year?
As a moderator I’m somewhat surprised by your response. Would you mind share why you are Assuming this is not the case?

• Haha
I think Columbia is considered "more prestigious". But like at this level who cares lol.

I'd pick Cornell due to research infrastructure (HSS, MSKCC, Rockefeller) also the first two are prestigious in thier respective specialties.

If you are into surgery then consider Columbia.

Reactions: 1 user
I think Columbia is considered "more prestigious". But like at this level who cares lol.

I'd pick Cornell due to research infrastructure (HSS, MSKCC, Rockefeller) also the first two are prestigious in thier respective specialties.

If you are into surgery then consider Columbia.
Isn't Cornell better for surgery or is it only for Ortho?

Isn't Cornell better for surgery or is it only for Ortho?
Cornell for ortho due to HSS. Columbia's ortho is ok but they are better at other surgical specialties especially neurosurgery which they are ranked #5 on doximity (after UCSF, barrow, hopkins, uwash-seattle). In the end it doesn't matter that much because if you go to either Columbia or Cornell you can find mentors and labs at the other school and network that way. It's all in the same city anyways.

btw I was choosing between these two schools and a few others and I chose Columbia. Cost was the same so I just went for the slightly more prestigious one.