Columbia vs. Duke

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedtw

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
There is no edge in prestige here. It’s the same. No PD in the country will ever give you the nudge Bc you went to Columbia over Duke. Any idea of speciality? Area you want to practice?

Reactions: 1 user
Doesnt compare to NC, but Columbias actually pretty close to "nature" (tons of hikes in hudson valley/palisades) as well as central park, which is incredible in its own right.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is no edge in prestige here. It’s the same. No PD in the country will ever give you the nudge Bc you went to Columbia over Duke. Any idea of speciality? Area you want to practice?
Nothing concrete for specialty. Want to check out emergency med, an IM subspecialty, or one of the lifestyle specialties. I’d probably want to stick in the east coast in terms of area of practice.

Why would you want to live in NYC? The city will be devastated by COVID-19 for years to come, life here will not be normal for a while. Go to Duke.

• Wow
  • Dislike
Reactions: 3 users
NYC>durham. I couldn't imagine living anywhere else. I disagree that the "city will be devastated". New Yorkers are resilient, and plus ny is past their peak. I would think about where you want to match. Columbia would give more of an advantage matching into NYC and other east coast programs.

Reactions: 1 user
Why would you want to live in NYC? The city will be devastated by COVID-19 for years to come, life here will not be normal for a while. Go to Duke.

agreed. Unclear if and when the city will return to what it once was. Tons of empty/vacated store fronts etc. Lots have also fled the city temporarily and permanently :cryi::cryi::cryi:

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
NYC>durham. I couldn't imagine living anywhere else. I disagree that the "city will be devastated". New Yorkers are resilient, and plus ny is past their peak. I would think about where you want to match. Columbia would give more of an advantage matching into NYC and other east coast programs.

Don't mean any offense or to sound insensitive. I loved it here but being unable to do any of the things I enjoy doing has been very frustrating (been "at home" for >2 months).

However, culture here (when accessible and if you have the time to travel 1h20min round trip from WaHi to the fun parts of NYC) is AMAZING!

Last edited: