columbia vs. emory vs. yale

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smileydoc542

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i know the overall programs at all of these schools are strong, but how do the management and policy departments of columbia, emory, and yale compare? are any of them known to be stronger than others? any info would be much appreciated!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

the answer to your question will take days to answer. It might even be better to ask admissions, faculty, alumni, and current students.

At one point, I was considering those schools and Hopkins for HPM.

Here is a high high hiiiigh level overview of my thoughts on the management track of the HPM programs at those respective schools.

Yale - take classes at SOM (benefits of taking business classes with business students), amazing faculty, international focus (if you so desire), one of the strongest programs for public health at Yale (in my opinion of course). Alumni connection is amazing and extremely great with internship search between 1st and 2nd year. Good mix of students coming directly from school and with years of work experience. A lot of opportunities to get involved with research projects (if you want).

Columbia - umm... wasn't so impressed. I personally love NYC but I just couldn't get myself to like the program. The program coordinator informed me that for the 50-60 students, there were only 5-6 research positions available and was difficult to work with professors. and she was rude.

Emory - great atmosphere, amazing hospitality, beautiful buildings, yummy food, etc. I liked Atlanta and I thought they did a stellar job with the 2-day open house. Big class (I believe 35-40 students just in management and another 30-40 in policy). It's a big school and there are definitely pluses (infinite alumni network) and minuses for that. I think Emory spends/gives a lot of money on/to students, and they really make an effort to find you a job upon graduation. You have a lot of opportunities to work even in school, especially at the CDC since it's right across the street. BUT for me, I thought the students lacked work experience and for me that was important. I know that they are all brilliant students but for health management, I see it similar to business school in the sense that I value experience and marrying that experience into the classroom experience.

I hope that helps. :)
Again, this is my sloppy HIGH overview of my opinions and what I considered during my visits. And I did visit all three schools.

Germanolive... out of curiosity why did you pick Yale over Johns Hopkins? I'm considering Johns Hopkins and I've heard the extremes on both specturms (good and bad)... anyway thought your opinion may be helpful seeing as I have to make a decision tomorrow, lol

Members don't see this ad :)
german olive... Did you ever worry about the low USNEWS ranking of Yale program? The ranking even went from 13(2004) to 16(2008) this year. I also have to choose between Columbia, Yale, Michigan and Emory. I like Yale but can't figure out why they have such low ranking.

http://www.yaledailynews.com/articles/view/24300

i winced at this particular paragraph:

Even when we recognize the importance of public health, we often feel we can't do anything. Three years ago, I had the opportunity to talk with President Levin informally about why Yale wasn't doing more with public health in New Haven and around the world. He told me frankly that health was a problem for national governments and it was not an area where Yale could make a significant difference.

I'm quoting CatLady from another thread in the same forum. And the other reason for being all anti-Yale is because they rejected me!! :p

pls quote the whole passage with its context next time.
thx.

german olive, thanks...your post was really helpful :)