Columbia vs. Florida...Please Help!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

creverte

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey...What do you think between going to Columbia and the University of Florida?? I graduated from UF last may and loved it and I'm teaching down in Miami where I grew up. Columbia has been my dream school, but I have a lot of people and money trying to get me back at UF...I dont know what to do!! please help me w/ your advice. thanks
chris

Members don't see this ad.

I can't help you with your decision because I know nothing about Columbia.
But . . . I know who you are. PSO ;) . . .and you were my TA in micro lab.

What are your career goals? Columbia would be better for research probably, but UF would be cheaper. Both would be similar in primary care education I guess. You probably know people at UF, might not know anyone at Columbia.
Do you want to stay in FL after med school?
That's a nice choice to have to make. I don't think you can go wrong.

no brainer to me, but then again I am biased and a NYC snob.

bonnie

Members don't see this ad :)
creverte said:
hey...What do you think between going to Columbia and the University of Florida?? I graduated from UF last may and loved it and I'm teaching down in Miami where I grew up. Columbia has been my dream school, but I have a lot of people and money trying to get me back at UF...I dont know what to do!! please help me w/ your advice. thanks
chris

Take the debt. Go to P&S. You will be happy you did 10 years from now.

Hey creverte, I went to UF and im in Miami too.

When I thought I'd get into a state school and a private school, I wanted to go for the least expensive option.

Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it, I only got into Tulane this year.

I'll be in a lot of debt at the end, but I know I'll fit in very well at Tulane. I have no hesitation about paying for it because it's such a great school, and I know I'll be able to pay it off eventually.

Think of it this way: Even though a private school, is really expensive, it's still a lot cheaper than opening a restaurant franchise, and your income is MUCH more guaranteed.

In the end, you can't lose either way--just go to the place you feel better at.

creverte said:
chris

I luckily had a similar option: MSSM or UF. After thinking it over, I just couldn't pass up NYC for Gainsville and since I wanted to perhaps practice outside of Florida, I think going to MSSM would be a better choice for me. Columbia is a far superior school to MSSM and would open countless doors for you in the future. I would take the debt, enjoy your 4 years, and take the opportunities that are provided for you in the future.

Caveat: If you want to practice in Florida, you might be better off staying at UF. Not that you won't get back into florida from Columbia, but I don't think you need Columbia to get you back into Florida.

Chris, I was actually at the Diabetes Camp presentation you gave at FIU :)
I really don't know what to tell you, except: "I wish I was in your shoes!" :p
No, seriously...where would you be more comfortable? Columbia is your dream school for a reason...compare and contrast. I have no preference, both are good schools...and I think you can get a great medical education in both schools. It's just a matter of what feels right for you...maybe not the answer you were looking for..but it's really what it comes down to.

Good Luck!
Karina

PS. I am going to teach in Miami also after I graduate this dec. :)

I'm in a similar position with UF and Michigan, where Im on a waitlist i think i can get off of. My father has spoken to other doctors and every one of them has said to go to Florida. I wasnt really expecting that. But you have to ask yourself how important living in NYC is to you. I personally couldnt live there--its too much concrete confinement for me. I've lived in philly for the past 5 years and Gainesville seems like a nice change of pace with the greenery and the convinience of driving nearby to the places you need to go. Alot of people have a glorified notion of city life and you should make sure that you like NYC.

Usually I tell people to stick with their state school,in this case its a tough one.Columbia will expose you many top physicians and researchers. It offers an exceptional educational experience.If you want to stay in
Florida I'd agree it makes little difference where you go.If you think you may want academics or competitive specialties then Columbia is a better choice.Spending 4 years in NYC could be a wonderful opportunity.

This one is a no-brainer...COLUMBIA! Congratulations on your admission to one of the nation's finest medical schools!!!!!! Hell..I'M even excited for you and I don't even know you...lol. That's really awesome man...I'm sure you'll have a blast if you go to NYC. Personally, I love Columbia University and seriously considered applying there for undergrad but decided against it because the rents wanted me to stay in CA. I'm spending a week in NYC this summer (with a friend) so I plan on visiting Columbia's main campus in Morningside Heights. I REALLY hope you choose Columbia because P&S offers AWESOME research facilities that shared with graduate students in biotechnology and bioinformatics. I think Columbia has a brand new Genome research center as well.

Take into account that I may be biased b/c I am still waiting to hear from UF, but I must agree with the other posts, spend the money and go to Columbia. I mean good lord man, UF's nice and you will get a good education, but the experience will certainly not even be close to that which you would get from Columbia. NYC vs Gainseville. Broadway vs Cow tipping :laugh: .

But then again I am probably biased because I am still on UF's hold list and am just trying to increase my chances of getting in. Wherever you decide to attend you will definitely get a good education.
DTM

Here are some things to think about......

1) Which do you like more? UF and Columbia are in completely different areas. Run completely different style hospitals, etc. When I was looking at med schools, I met some former Columbia tour guides (and obviously students) who weren't a big fan of the place. I know a lot of my classmates opted NOT to go to Columbia even though they love (or are from) NYC. You're not in Manhattan. Not every night in med school is a party, and it will be hard to spend 1.5 hours round trip taking the trip in for a night on the town frequently.

2) Costs. Huge difference. Most doctors your dad talks to will say to go to UF because a) they are in florida so it makes little sense to leave the state b) they are in the specialty they want, so they don't remember or never had the problem of matching

3) Do you have a strong interest in surgery? P&S is big into it. Just compare the match lists......

4) Where do you want to practice?

5) Are you cool with the idea of cold weather? My best friend is at UF's med school and he said lots of his classmates had never SEEN snow.

6) Are you interested in academic medicine? Definitely go with the big name if so.

7) I don't know about Columbia's curriculum and grading system, but compare.

8) Go spend some time in/around Columbia. I know a lot of people like going to NYC but would hate to live there (I am one), make sure you're not in that group.

9) Do you want an undergrad campus nearby?

10) If you're a heterosexual guy, I hear good things about the girls at UF......never been impressed by NYC though......although they do know how to be trashy.....(sorry if I offend anyone)

That is my opinion............its definitely a tough call..........go for a run or something like that to contemplate it..........I think with the cost difference you can buy a house in Gainsville.....

SunnyS81 said:
Here are some things to think about......

1) Not every night in med school is a party, and it will be hard to spend 1.5 hours round trip taking the trip in for a night on the town frequently.

9) Do you want an undergrad campus nearby?

As for #1, you can take the A downtown and be at 34th in 30 minutes. While obviously you won't be partying all the time, it's relatively easy to get downtown. Don't let this detract you.

As for #9, neither UF or Columbia has their undergrad campus relatively nearby. Since everything is so spread out in Gainsville, you'd have to drive to the undergrad campus and the same can be said for Columbia (you have to take the 1/9 obviously).

Also, I'd like to point out that some of the cost difference is overcome by the fact you basically are required to have a car to live in Gainsville. NYC allows you to get around by public transportation.

maswe12 said:
My father has spoken to other doctors and every one of them has said to go to Florida. I wasnt really expecting that.

I'm going to guess that your father spoke mostly to physicians in private practice and probably in Florida. Try talking to academic physicians in the northeast, and see what they say.

I think that, personal preferences aside (family, city life, etc.) since that's something that is of subjective value, the main question is, as others have pointed out, whether you are interested in competitive specialties and/or academic medicine. If so, the answer is clear.
Having said that, one can certainly match well and get into academic medicine from a place like Florida, but going to a school such as P&S makes it infinitely easier.
Good luck whereever you end up.

uh... you're way off regarding the UF campus. the med school is literally a couple hundred yards away from the center of the undergrad campus. it takes about 10 minutes to walk from one to the other - trust me, i've done it about 50 times already. also, yeah, g'ville is spread out but it's tiny. without traffic, it takes about 20 minutes to drive from one corner to another (ie, southeast to northwest, which i get to do tomorrow :cool: )

as to the comment about UF girls... well, the best thing i can say about them is that they are abundant. i have been wholly unimpressed by the girls here. of course there are some good ones, but the impression i'll leave with is that the "average" UF girl is a spoiled little south florida brat, majoring in ____ (fill in joke major of choice), and with all the smarts of a block of cheese. and UF girls can certainly give any NYC girl a run for their money when it comes to looking trashy.

just trying to clear up an innacuracy and give my humble opinions.

facted said:
As for #1, you can take the A downtown and be at 34th in 30 minutes. While obviously you won't be partying all the time, it's relatively easy to get downtown. Don't let this detract you.

As for #9, neither UF or Columbia has their undergrad campus relatively nearby. Since everything is so spread out in Gainsville, you'd have to drive to the undergrad campus and the same can be said for Columbia (you have to take the 1/9 obviously).

Also, I'd like to point out that some of the cost difference is overcome by the fact you basically are required to have a car to live in Gainsville. NYC allows you to get around by public transportation.

mlw03 said:
it takes about 10 minutes to walk from one to the other - trust me, i've done it about 50 times already.

Closer than I thought, but certainly not exactly next door. a 10 minute walk is a bit far...To give some perspective, you can take the subway from the med. school campus down to the undergrad campus at Columbia in 8 minutes or you could wait for the free shuttle bus that takes 15 minutes. Of course, it's not as convenient as walking 10 minutes any time you'd like, but I don't something that is a 10 minute walk away to be "close". In that case, both UG campuses are a bit out of "close" reach.

facted said:
Closer than I thought, but certainly not exactly next door. \
Um, this is silly. Have you ever been to UF? The med school is in the hospital that is ON THE CAMPUS. As an undergrad, I take classes at the hospital in rooms that are also used for the med students. The 15 minute break between classes is enough for me to go from one class outside the hospital area to the cafeteria in the hospital, get a smoothie, and still make it to the class in the hospital without being late.
And about transportation, there is free bussing for students all throughout Gainesville, including on campus. And Gainesville is a bicycle friendly town.
The OP already knows all of this, but just to clear up things for anyone else.

10 min walk is definitely close.

thank you guys sooo much for all the excellent tips...everybody has very good suggestions and points of view...to me, they appear to be completly opposite schools, but both excellent choices...i guess i need to decide what my priorities are; i feel at UF i would be more comfortable knowing the people/area better, the sun/pools/soccer fields, etc...@ i feel columbia is a bigger challenge academically and socially w/ more opportunity for me to grow and experience a diff. environment...i love both the UF college town and the NYC big city environment equally...

im not exactly sure if i want to specialize, but most likely i will...not too interested in research for the time being...tuition not a big factor for me...i spent a summer living @ columbia's med campus and i like the area and facilities...i am interested in academic medicine...

and for the record, yes i am heterosexual and i have thouroughly enjoyed the girls @ UF and i thing their great (go gators!!), but im sure NY will compete...and i guess you figured out the UF hospital is very very close to the main campus...

Thank you SOOO much for all the input and help and i welcome any further input...ill be revisiting columbia this week (and most likely ill end up there next year)...let me know if i can help you guys in any way and good luck w/ applying and in school

chris

YOU CANT LEAVE GATOR NATION NOW! CHRIS LEAK IS JUST GETTING WARMED UP!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: #12 :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: