Columbia vs Montefiore vs Mount Sinai?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jerseygirl22

Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Any thoughts?

I am ranking these programs 1, 2, and 3 (unsure of order) and would love to hear what folks have to say about them! Anyone? 😱
 
jerseygirl22 said:
Any thoughts?

I am ranking these programs 1, 2, and 3 (unsure of order) and would love to hear what folks have to say about them! Anyone? 😱

I interviewed only at Mount Sinai out of those three. Decent program. Not too busy but busy enough to learn. Residents are very friendly and help out each other and I think that is the strongest point of the program. You will see a lot of transplant kids.

Good luck. 👍
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
jersey girl: I'm also considering NYC programs. Curious as to why Cornell and NYU are not in your top three?
 
mamby said:
jersey girl: I'm also considering NYC programs. Curious as to why Cornell and NYU are not in your top three?


thanks everyone for your thoughts.

Mamby--I'm am also ranking Cornell and NYU (likely 4 and 5), so its not like I don't like those programs. I do...just not as much.

Cornell is low volume and while they have sweet housing and they send folks out to Queens for more bread and butter pediatrics, I felt the training in-house at Mount Sinai, Montefiore, and Columbia was a bit stronger.

I also like NYU and I feel with their new chairman, things are going to be picking up there. But I didn't like the Tisch vs. Bellevue dichotomy--but I think this is just a personal preference kind of thing.

In the end, after second looks, I loved the Montefiore and Mount Sinai residents and the academics at Columbia were just solid. Bottom line is that there isn't a "BAD" choice in NY, just maybe a choice that fits a personality better. Hope that helps. 😉
 
I am curious about Columbia, too. I have heard that the residents are overworked and not happy. This is from another student who did a rotation there. I personally loved it when I interviewed, but they could all just have their "happy faces" on. Any comments on this?
 
I would tend to agree that Mt. Sinai in New York has a top notch IR section and the IR fellowship is one that is highly sought after through out the country. Many consider them the strongest IR department in New York City. They have aggressive leadership and have a high volume of complex peripheral vascular and oncology interventions. Their IR attendings run or speak at the national VIR meetings and it would be a great place to have the new IR residency, as they have the volume of cases, clinical mindset etc that would be necessary to succeed as a clinical interventionalist.
 
I would tend to agree that Mt. Sinai in New York has a top notch IR section and the IR fellowship is one that is highly sought after through out the country. Many consider them the strongest IR department in New York City. They have aggressive leadership and have a high volume of complex peripheral vascular and oncology interventions. Their IR attendings run or speak at the national VIR meetings and it would be a great place to have the new IR residency, as they have the volume of cases, clinical mindset etc that would be necessary to succeed as a clinical interventionalist.

You're in the peds forum, not the radiology forum.