Columbia vs NYEE vs UMDNJ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

wildcard786

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Please advice on raking these programs. Both NYEE and UMDNJ have great surgical volume. Columbia has a big name and great research. I can't decide what order these programs should go on my rank list.
 
nyee is generally regarded as the best program in NY but Columbia has a great namesake and retina program. UMDNJ is also a good progrom. If you want to do academics I would go Columbia->NYEE->UMDNJ. If not academics I would go NYEEI->Columbia->UMDNJ
 
For location, I would have to go NYEE>Columbia>UMDNJ. I would probably rank them the same way for "prestige", with Columbia only slightly "behind". All 3 of those programs are great though.
 
nyee is generally regarded as the best program in NY but Columbia has a great namesake and retina program. UMDNJ is also a good progrom. If you want to do academics I would go Columbia->NYEE->UMDNJ. If not academics I would go NYEEI->Columbia->UMDNJ


I would agree with this. The one thing I would add is that Columbia may have slipped a bit since Chang stepped down as chairman. Several senior faculty members also left but it is still a highly regarded program.