• Pharmacy Job Market Webinar

Are you considering applying to pharmacy school but are concerned about job prospects when you graduate? Join us on Wednesday, July 28th at 8 PM Eastern to hear from three PharmDs about their experiences and options outside of retail pharmacy.

Dr.BadVibes

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2003
Toronto, Centre of Canada
Status (Visible)
I just wanted to ask you guys for your opinion on this one. Im literally losing my hair thinking about this.....

Im not sure if I want to specialize, and going to Temple would save me around $100,000. I understand the area around Temple is bad, but I saw the area where the students live, and its absolutely gorgeous.....I was so amazed...two different worlds....

However, going to Columbia would give me a great chance to specialize and I would also have the Ivy League label and live in New York City which would be a great experience in itself....any thoughts?? :confused:

I really appreciate any thoughts, cause I have never had to make a decision like this in my life, and I really value what the people of SDN have to say about this....

larryt

15+ Year Member
May 25, 2003
Houston, Texas
Status (Visible)
Hey avingupta ...

I read couple posts on dentaltown forum. At temple, students will be held accountable for any of their patient's outstanding balances. I just wonder did you ask temple's students about this during your interview or heard anything about them ? I forgot to ask them about this issue during my interview. That's kidda scare me a little bit. We may become classmates if both of us choose temple.

About the Ads

comatose

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2003
Status (Visible)
go where it's cheapest. if you decide to specialize, work hard and be in the top 5% of your class.

DrNo2000

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2003
CA
Status (Visible)
If Temple saves you about $100K, and you don't want to specialize, then you should go to Temple. The 100K difference is about a $1000/month when you pay your loans back. Just imagine what you could do with that extra grand! But, you need to set your priorities straight and decide whether you want to specialize or not, b/c in that case Columbia would be a better choice.

Regarding the neighborhood issue, I think both schools are in equal shape. Columbia isn't in such a good area either.

Also, I have heard rumors that the clinics at Columbia aren't that good. But, I don't know how true that is, since I never went to my interview there (so don?t quote me on this). Temple on the other hand, has good clinics.

W

Woodsy

Columbia is in a questionable area but it isn't that bad.

The clinics look very nice compared to U Conn's, in my opinion.

It is pass/fail. Aving, like i said, it would be great to have another Torontonian with me at Columbia next year but if it saves you $100,000 then it is worth to consider Temple for sure.

I don't know enough about Temple to tell you how good it is.

Dr.BadVibes

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2003
Toronto, Centre of Canada
Status (Visible)
Hey woodsy...Yah it would be great to see that you are going to Columbia and i was considering it in my decision that there will be a Torontonian there...but you got a UofT interview, and will probably get into UofT....so you'll end up going to Toronto for dental for sure....

The clinics at Columbia were good...I would say the same as Temple...exactly what you would see in a dentist's office...nothing fancy like NYU...

The area around Columbia is not that bad....the subway station is HORRIBLE...I almost barfed at the horrid smell of urine everywhere....but that is just the subway station....the area itself is so/so....however, Temple's is still a bit worse....

but the residential area around Temple is gorgeous...Im still speechless from when I saw it...

Hey larryt...HAHAH...if you and I goto Temple...we'll have to carry our SDN arguments/insults to the pubs! ;)

W

Woodsy

Originally posted by avingupta
Hey woodsy...Yah it would be great to see that you are going to Columbia and i was considering it in my decision that there will be a Torontonian there...but you got a UofT interview, and will probably get into UofT....so you'll end up going to Toronto for dental for sure....

The clinics at Columbia were good...I would say the same as Temple...exactly what you would see in a dentist's office...nothing fancy like NYU...

The area around Columbia is not that bad....the subway station is HORRIBLE...I almost barfed at the horrid smell of urine everywhere....but that is just the subway station....the area itself is so/so....however, Temple's is still a bit worse....

but the residential area around Temple is gorgeous...Im still speechless from when I saw it...

Hey larryt...HAHAH...if you and I goto Temple...we'll have to carry our SDN arguments/insults to the pubs! ;)

I dunno if i'll go to TOronto for sure dude, it's still up in the air. But even if I get into Toronto, i'm still thinking. HOw did the interview go?

Who interviewed you? PM me.

sxr71

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 10, 2002
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by Woodsy
Columbia is in a questionable area but it isn't that bad.

The clinics look very nice compared to U Conn's, in my opinion.

It is pass/fail. Aving, like i said, it would be great to have another Torontonian with me at Columbia next year but if it saves you $100,000 then it is worth to consider Temple for sure.

I don't know enough about Temple to tell you how good it is.

Don't worry there will be plenty of Torontonians in the Columbia class. Half the people who interview there are Canadian.

ECDental

Nov 29, 2013
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
I just wanted to ask you guys for your opinion on this one. Im literally losing my hair thinking about this.....

Im not sure if I want to specialize, and going to Temple would save me around $100,000. I understand the area around Temple is bad, but I saw the area where the students live, and its absolutely gorgeous.....I was so amazed...two different worlds....

However, going to Columbia would give me a great chance to specialize and I would also have the Ivy League label and live in New York City which would be a great experience in itself....any thoughts?? :confused:

I really appreciate any thoughts, cause I have never had to make a decision like this in my life, and I really value what the people of SDN have to say about this....

i see you picked temple! i'm in the same boat right now are you happy with your choice?!

About the Ads
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.