Columbia vs. UPENN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eggy999

Reaction score
Hi, I have pretty much narrowed down my acceptances to UPENN and Columbia but am at a loss. As someone who enjoys planning, this is quite stressing me out. I am wondering if I am being silly and ignoring an obvious answer or if my "cons" are solvable. Thoughts? Thank u in advance :)!

COLUMBIA
Pros:
- Already connected with the neurosurgery department including the chair, invited to Zoom grand rounds starting ASAP
- Both interviewers super nice and welcoming, one invited me to dinners at their place throughout M1-M4 like they do for all their accepted kiddos, forming a nice small networking group
- I am familiar with the city, having gone a lot as a kid
- Always wanted to live in NYC (kinda a bucketlist item)
- Has the Neurological Institute, first specialty hospital dedicated to neuro disorders
Cons:
- I have a cat I don't want to part with so I can't stay in the dorms so need to find off-campus apartment which is expensive asl and stressful since places are snatched up within 24 hours
- Safety...parents don't feel comfortable with me taking any subways in/out of washington heights or walking alone even on the main street at night, and their stress will equal my stress
- Family and many college friends in the city but 100+ blocks away

UPENN
Pros:
- CHOP!
- I have family in philly a short walk away
- Parents not concerned about safety here
- opportunity to take classes at art museum
- easy access to philly's finest without traveling far
- cheaper housing, nicer amenities
- worked here one summer so medical faculty connection
- opportunity to get masters simultaneously and med school covers cost
Cons:
- prestige as compared to Columbia?
- not nyc...

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Seems like Columbia offers more related to your academic interests while Penn would give you better quality of life during school. Are finances a concern?

Members don't see this ad :)
Isn’t Penn more prestigious than Columbia in medicine?

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Congrats on both acceptances. Now here is the reality check. There is no difference whatsoever in prestige between these 2 institutions despite what some on these forums may try to convince you of. If you are unable to match into your desired specialty from either of these schools, then that is an absolute indictment on you and not the institution. This decision boils down to cost and how much you're willing to pay to live in NYC if you are unable to part ways with a cat. If it were me, I would choose UPenn (FWIW, I did an away rotation during 4th year at HUP and absolutely loved being there)

Congrats on your excellent choices! Can’t go wrong here. Few points that you may or may not know.

Philly isn’t safer than NYC more generally and Washington Heights is a fine area. We’re not talking about ‘80-90s era NYC. Pay attention (like any other city) and you’ll be just fine. Broadway (stretch from 160-190th) active all times of day and there’s a solid 24 hr Dominican restaurant a couple blocks from Columbia Presbyterian. People may play loud music most nights but no one is trying to bother you.

You mentioned neurosurgery, so I assume you have an interest. Interests of course change, but I can tell you that the culture at Columbia neurosurgery is phenomenal. There’s a reason it wins more teaching awards as voted by third year clerkship students than any other department. Columbia also loves taking home nsgy applicants if you felt inclined to stay. UPenn nsgy does not have as welcoming a reputation. You’ll be able to match well from either institution of course.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
CUMC housing for medical students allows one pet if you can get them designated as an emotional support animal. It's a easy process, but there is paperwork to fill out.

Reactions: 1 users
Isn’t Penn more prestigious than Columbia in medicine?
Historically yes (functionally, no...but people love splitting hairs), but USNWR in recent years has really shaken up how premeds view institutional prestige lol. It's pretty fascinating tbh.

OP, seems like there's a slight advantage for Penn based on what you've written. As others have mentioned, safety differences shouldn't be a concern. However, as a human who also has parents, I know that telling them that won't cause all of their worries to magically disappear lol. On the flip side, it's clear you'd really like to live in NYC. Are finances a concern for you?

Columbia is a smaller school while Penn is bigger in terms of class size.
Pennmed has all other schools closeby and one can take classes in business or law or other areas easily if inclined to do so. There is a lot of reasonable priced apartments within walking distance for Penn and no one stays in their dorms.
You can carry your drinks into the restaurants in Philly (dont know if this is allowed in NYC).

Location was a dealbreaker for me with Columbia - I'd go Penn here. Congratulations on two excellent options!