Columbia vs USC

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Dr.Vitaminka, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Dr.Vitaminka

Dr.Vitaminka Member
    5+ Year Member

I'm from Los Angeles and would ultimately like to practice in California. I am interested in specializing in Ortho, Peds, or OMFS. Any input and advice would be great! Thank you for all your help. :confused:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. INFNITE

INFNITE mmm....doughnut
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    definitely Columbia. Non-PBL based curriculum, high specialty match rates, and why not experience living in another major city? Yes, there's a ton of work and studying, but the experience of living in NYC is well worth it. Also, there are alot of Californians in Columbia and some of them even turned down schools like UCLA because they wanted a change of scenery. Columbia will prepare you well for licensing in Cali, so there's no worry about that.

4. dizzle23x

10+ Year Member

Dentist
    for sure columbia. you can practice anywhere, you just have to take the boards

5. seansk

seansk USC Dentistry Class 2010
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    if you're gonna practice in california you are much better off going to USC, clinically USC will prepare you much better for the wester boards and/or california state boards...the methodology in clinic can be different in schools...East coast schools prepare you for their own state boards...this is something significant to keep in mind!
    you will understand this more when you get into dental school. I was talking to a graduate from USC that was telling me that they do things much differently in the schools she visited on the east coast...not that its bad or anything, but just different...for example preping a tooth for a crown might look completely different if you've been trained here, than if you've been trained @ Columbia.

keep this in mind

good luck!

6. Denticized

7+ Year Member

Dental Student

Ok don't listen to this guy because since you're gonna specialize you won't have to pass the CA licensure board (the new law in CA). Columbia has the highest rate of specialization but stay in SC if you are really attached to your family.

7. briansle

briansle Cell A
    10+ Year Member

Ok, don't listen to this guy.
    The new law exempts people who complete a GPR.
    Here's the reality : Whether you want to specialize all depends on how motivated you are to Ace NBDE Part I. USC students tear up Part I. The '09 Class averaged 88%. E'nuff said. Look at Columbia's NBDE I scores not their specialization rate. Because you have to take account that many people actually want to do GP.

8. gryffindor

Dentist 10+ Year Member

Dentist

And you, seansk, will understand this better when you actually graduate from dental school. Taking regional boards outside of the region where you attend dental school are just an inconvenience, not an impossibility. Plenty of students train in northeast schools and go on to take other regional boards and do fine. The minor changes between procedures for a northeast vs. western board can be learned in about 10 minutes. Some schools in the northeast even offer more than one regional board at the same school. Every regional board has prep courses and patient finding services to help you if you want to take them and your school didn't have anyone to help you. All you have to do write a check. It used to be a lot more difficult to move around as a dentist, but the recent licensure changes have made the situation better in many states, not worse.

9. armorshell

armorshell One Man Freak Show
    Physician Dentist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Columbia's average NBDE Part 1 is like, 93% so...probably not the best argument there...

10. seansk

seansk USC Dentistry Class 2010
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    never said it was an impossibility! just more of a convenience!! go and look back at my post!

11. Dauber

Dauber Big Baby Jesus
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    You're killin' me, smalls. Go to Columbia!

12. SHC1984

SHC1984 Membership Revoked
    Removed 5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I hope this isn't another sarcastic thread...
    Columbia if you want to specialize and
    the cheaper one if you want to do general dentistry!