Columbia vs. UT Southwestern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

word

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if you guys could give me some opinions on choosing between these schools. I am a TX resident, so I think if I went to P&S it would cost about 80K more plus I'd have to live in student housing.
Also I really doubt I will do primary care. Finally I am not trying to be a jerk and rub this anyone's face. I am thankful for what I have achieved, and welcome any feedback. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

both great schools, can get you whereever you want to go in medicine, go where you felt best. you're not gonna get very different environment wise between nyc and texas (dallas, right?). If you want to save the money and want to stay in tex, go with SW, if you really liked columbia, and want to be in nyc, go with that. good luck with your decision

I agree with coop. Both are excellent schools. UTSW has an excellent reputation. So if you really fell in love with Columbia then go. It is up to your preference now. Tough choice. I am not sure what I would do. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ahh, you're just saying that because you've been waitlisted at Columbia! :wink:

(Just kidding, to everyone else--I have no factual basis for that comment!)

:D

I would go to Columbia. Everyone should live in NYC at least once in their life. Columbia is steeped in history. I really liked the feel of the place. UTSW is cool too, it?s sort of a young up and coming med school. But reputation wise Columbia has an edge. In short I?d say Columbia. Get out of Texas, I know I am going to, even if it does cost extra.

how about between Mayo and Columbia ???/ i already live in NYC. Any thoughts?