Columbia vs UVM Post Bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

decisionman2008

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have to decide between a postbacc program at Columbia and UVM. I have heard many things about both. Columbia's program has been around longer, but I have read through threads on this site that indicate that Columbia's program is very cut throat. While I am looking for a challenging and reputable program, I am really looking for a program where I can learn, and that has the most supportive atmosphere. I was also accepted into the Harvard program, but heard that the program is very cut-throat and leaves many students high and dry, especially when it comes to committee letters. Does anyone have experience with either the Columbia or UVM programs? I took gen chem as an undergrad as an engineer with little success, but was also dis-interested in engineering. After teaching math and recently taking an EMT class and volunteering at a hospital, I re-realized my passion for science and medicine. More than anything I want to choose the right program that will help me be as successful as possible in taking the classes that I need to be a successful medical school applicant. Thoughts? UVM v. Columbia?

Members don't see this ad.

Your decision seems pretty similar to what I just went through. UVM, Harvard, and Columbia were my top choices and I decided to go with UVM for a bunch of reasons. The atmosphere at UVM is so much more relaxed and enjoyable at UVM that I personally feel will be much more conducive to learning. Also, it doesn't hurt that Burlington is flat out amazing and actually friendly unlike NYC.

If you have any questions about UVM you should send Polly Allen an email. She's one of the advisers for the program and is always willing to help. Also, you should check out the website to see where UVM has placed their students. Although they do not have a linkage program with UVM Med they place the majority of their students there, so if you're interested in UVM med school then their post bac is a great idea.

Lastly, my experience with Columbia's post bac office is that they are extremely unprofessional and unorganized. I won't go into details, but basically they do not return calls, emails, and are rude. After all that though, I do have a family friend that completed the program and although she did not enjoy the program she did say it prepared her extremely well and she is now in a residency at Dartmouth.

Hope some of my 3am rambling was helpful.

Don't know if this opinion matters, but I will throw my 2 cents out there anyway!

I have had a great experience with Columbia, so far... aka I am starting this fall and just attended orientation today. But throughout my application process, the planning sessions, the orientation, everyone has been nothing short of wonderful and helpful. From my discussions with older students today, the program is hard, but all the better to prepare you for the MCAT and med school itself. There doesn't seem to be any "cut-throat" behavior anywhere and I have met some genuine people up here! Heck, I already have a study group put together! Plus, I am new to the city, but LOVE my experiences with this area so far.

It all comes down to your personal experience, so don't base your opinion of a program on anyone's experiences but your own (yes that includes mine!). If you have any questions as I get through my first semester, feel free to email me, I would be happy to chat!

Lindsey - [email protected]

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's my two cents, I am here at UVM PBPM, and enjoying it. I recommend it with very few reservations. As far as getting a sense of the program, while talking to Polly Allen is good, sitting in on a couple of classes would be better. And since you mention Chem, try to sit in on John Sharp's Chemistry 31 lecture, he's an amazing teacher. And then try to sit in on a Bio class too.

As I mentioned above, I do have a few reservations about the program. Firstly, it's pricey. But then so is Columbia and I am happier here on a personal level, and have had great research experiences here which, frankly, I don't know if I would have been able to persue in a larger program. Secondly, you are allowed to take any class you want which is GREAT, but sometimes that can backfire and you may take an extra class (psych 001, in my case, I thought it'd be interesting!) that then turns out to be geared towards incomming freshman, leaving you bored out of your mind and short a couple of grand. But, on the flip side of that, I also took Human Neuroanatomy, which basically changed my life.

Bottom line, I say try to sit in on some classes if possible. Or just make a decision and go for it with no looking back. Especially since classes start tomorrow here at UVM.

Hi to all.

I am trying to decide between NYU and Vermont post bac. Do you have any suggestiosn anyone.. what about their linkage program. For those of you who went through the program, what are the pros and cons for you?

I would appreciate any ideas or help on this topic

Thanks