Columbia vs. Yale MPH in Epidemiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JJP05

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I am an international student from Canada, and I got into Columbia (MPH in epidemiology )and Yale (MPH in Chronic disease dpi). It is so sad that I can not attend the open house because it conflicts with my exams... I am not sure which school I should attend :confused:
Any comments?
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey JJP05,

I actually have the exact same decision to make =P (I'm Canadian too so random! Buttt I am an undergrad in an American uni). I'm planning to go to both admit days (I'm not sure when Columbia's is, but I'm going during my school's spring break which is the last week of March) because that is when Yale's admit day is.

I honestly feel 90% about Columbia because of my particular research/career goals. I'm a neuroscience major, and have a strong neuroscience research background and my goals for getting an MPH are to be able to do population based preventive studies with mental health. So for me, going to a school that has a lot of emphasis on mental health in the epidemiology department is really important. I also want more of a hands-on MPH experience, as much as I love doing research - I don't really want research intensive curriculum. I feel that Columbia's new curriculum is very unique in the amount of field/practical experience it will give us, whereas Yale is more research based.
You might also want to consider what schools have professors/faculty/affiliated centers doing the kind of research/projects you are particularly interested. Contact these people and see what opportunities they may have for you? I'm already in touch with a couple of professors at Mailman, and I'm really interested in their research/career paths so I think Columbia really is the best place for me.

I hope these things helped! Both are great schools for Epi though. OH, another thing to consider - Columbia admits 1200 students, Yale about like 120.. So class sizes will be a BIG difference.

Are you doing the Global Health concentration at Yale with the CDE? I got into the Global Health concentration in both schools - but that factor may weigh into your decision for what school you may want to attend as well (if you're really interested in studying abroad)?!

AND FINALLY! MONEY! I honestly haven't gotten very helpful answers from Yale about financial aid for INternational students, and I'm REALLY not looking to pay full tuition/take out thousands and thousands of dollars in student loans. So I'm trying to see what Columbia has to offer for me with regards to financial aid... its' tough for us =(, but I thinkkkkk Columbia is pretty good with giving aid to Canadians, so let's cross our fingers......

GOOD LUCK, and let me know if you have any insight for me too!!

hey cogsciucsd,

Thank you so much for your reply. I am an undergrad too, and I applied to Yale Chronic disease epi with global health concentration. I will try to contact some faculty members. I really want to go to the Yale admit day, but it conflicts with my final exam...Hope I can go to the Columbia admit day. I really like the new curriculum in Columbia, but I heard that it is hard to keep in touch with the professors because of the large class size. The small class size in Yale provides more opportunities for students-students and students-professor interactions.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got accepted into Yale CDE dept... Waiting for Columbia.... I am from India and I am a medical graduate. I am currently working as a research assistant in Dept of Pulmonary and Critical Care... My research matches a lot with the research done by the profs at Columbia.

I hope to get into Columbia with some scholarship as well... Good luck to you guys

hi!

I'm a Canadian applicant too and hope for some insight from you guys! Was Columbia any good at handing out aid? Because I've got nothing from Yale so far and even reaching to their financial advisor, didn't help :(

Would love to know where you guys ended up and how it's going!

Thanks!