Columbia vs. Yale vs Upenn

Started by Mark7954
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Mark7954

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Currently working on my ROL and I wanted an opinion on pros and cons for the following programs: Columbia vs UPenn vs Yale

Caveat, I am very interested in academia (research, leadership) in addition to strong clinical training. Would you consider these programs overall equal caliber and it’s just location to decide?

Thanks again
 
All great. In no particular order pick based on salary(any 401k match?) , moonlighting opportunities (starting pgy2 is better), research interests (do they have mentors in you area of interest? Do they actuslly give you enough time to do research?), workload, and where you want to live
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am interested in this info, so I'll bump and answer @TexasPhysician's Q and say decision making in humans (with the idea of studying it in a way applicable to addiction, maybe even with animal models). In a few years I hope to be applying to PSTP Psych tracks and these programs are at the top for me (with a preference for Penn because I was raised outside of Philly). I'd imagine Penn also has opportunities based on collaborations w/ Princeton.
 
I am interested in this info, so I'll bump and answer @TexasPhysician's Q and say decision making in humans (with the idea of studying it in a way applicable to addiction, maybe even with animal models). In a few years I hope to be applying to PSTP Psych tracks and these programs are at the top for me (with a preference for Penn because I was raised outside of Philly). I'd imagine Penn also has opportunities based on collaborations w/ Princeton.

Id argue that Yale has the better addictions program to facilitate that.
 
What do you want to do research on?
I am very interested in community psychiatry (e.g. health services research) and global mental health. Also, would you be able to comment on the clinical training and stereotypes for these programs? Thanks again for all of your insight!
 
I am very interested in community psychiatry (e.g. health services research) and global mental health. Also, would you be able to comment on the clinical training and stereotypes for these programs? Thanks again for all of your insight!

Columbia has a very strong community psychiatry program with faculty that have international experience. I’d go UPenn 2nd.
 
Id argue that Yale has the better addictions program to facilitate that.

How is their basic science stuff? I still have a lot to learn about the full breadth of 'possible physician scientist careers', but I'd always leaned more towards evaluating places based on their basic neuroscience departments and figuring some of that would translate to collaborations/research opportunities as a resident. Is this thinking misguided?