Columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

katec12345

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all-
Looking at Columbia's numbers, it seems as though they place A LOT of emphasis on the MCAT, as their average is nearly a 36 according to their website. Can anyone confirm this? I'm a fair amount above their GPA average, but way below their MCAT average (although still above 30). I'm just wondering how much time I'm wasting applying there :).

Members don't see this ad.

katec12345 said:
Hey all-
Looking at Columbia's numbers, it seems as though they place A LOT of emphasis on the MCAT, as their average is nearly a 36 according to their website. Can anyone confirm this? I'm a fair amount above their GPA average, but way below their MCAT average (although still above 30). I'm just wondering how much time I'm wasting applying there :).
I would think it's fair to say the MCAT is important to them. Anytime an MCAT average is above 33, it would be a logical conclusion.

katec12345 said:
Hey all-
They place a lot of emphasis on whether Dean Franz likes you, considering he is the one in charge of every decision, and he has the reputation for being a one-man wrecking crew.

Members don't see this ad :)
FaytlND said:
They place a lot of emphasis on whether Dean Franz likes you, considering he is the one in charge of every decision, and he has the reputation for being a one-man wrecking crew.

What does this mean? everyone meets with him during the interview? is he the guy that announced he would be stepping down soon? or was that the dean of the columbia b school? cant recall...

From what I understand, he is the one that makes all the decisions as far as admissions go. There is not an admissions committee that votes like at other schools. However, he does not interview everyone the first time around. Though if you get asked back for a second interview (when getting in off the wait list), then you have to go through him.

FaytlND said:
From what I understand, he is the one that makes all the decisions as far as admissions go. There is not an admissions committee that votes like at other schools. However, he does not interview everyone the first time around. Though if you get asked back for a second interview (when getting in off the wait list), then you have to go through him.

There is another interview at Columbia when getting in off the waitlist? Is this the only school that does this? Starts to border on waisting money to go through two rounds and still possibly not get in...

I don't believe its necessarily required, but I think its a good thing if they ask you to come back so they can get a better feel for who you are. However, if they ask you to come back, and you decline, I would very much doubt you would ever be pulled of the waiting list. Perhaps someone around here who got into Columbia off the waitlist might care to put in their $.02

If you search past threads (ie the 2003 one), you'll see that people who are waiting to get into Columbia are sometimes desperate to get called for a second interview - to the point of calling up every couple of days and stating that they would be available..

Based on my personal experience, Dr. Frantz is interested in people with deep interest/skill in non-medicine activities (music, drama, sports, language, whatever). Another key is to make it clear by your tone that Columbia is your #1 school, and would accept an offer on the spot if one was given. and have good grades and scores.