Columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

steve0036

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there any international students who got an interview from Columbia? What were your GPA and DATs? Is it true that I need to get a way above average GPA and DATs to get an interview from Columbia? I think they are being racist!!!

Members don't see this ad.

steve0036 said:
Is there any international students who got an interview from Columbia? What were your GPA and DATs? Is it true that I need to get a way above average GPA and DATs to get an interview from Columbia? I think they are being racist!!!

Our student population is predominantly minority. We also have a large international student body. Your senseless accusations are uncalled for. If you attended a reputable undergrad and have a DAT of around 22 and above you have a pretty good shot. The current 1st years have a 22DAT and 3.5 gpa. Judging from the current trend I would expect the class of 2010 to have even higher stats. If you haven't received an interview...the reason is probably b/c you have a low DAT or b/c you were late with your application.

steve0036 said:
:eek: :eek: Relax.

Members don't see this ad :)
duh? said:
I am very disappointed b/c I got my first rejection letter from Upen. I think it is b/c I am an international student... sucks..

Could you tell us your stats..b/c upenn accepts international student....I am an example.... Also, could you tell us when you applied...

steve0036 said:
I am very disappointed b/c I got my first rejection letter from Upen. I think it is b/c I am an international student... sucks..

I doubt it. The way you're acting on this forum is probably the reason. You seem kinda crazy :thumbdown: I'm an international student too and I interviewed on the 2nd last day of interviews, Nov. 17, before Dec 1 and I got in right away. My stats aren't anything spectacular either so it wasn't a case of me being WAYYYY better than everyone else although I was probably above their averages. Chill out and stay focussed on getting in. Whichever school you go to will provide you with the opportunity to become a great dentist. Good luck and stop calling schools racist! Most of the classes are made up by a large proportion of minorities anyways (on my interview day, 80% of those interviewing were Asian in ancestory i.e. Chinese, Korean, Indian, etc) so it's not about race. These are of course minorities in terms of US population, not professional school makeup.

YOur're right , but those asians that are interviewing probably have a citizenship, I understand the OP, there's only a certain number of international spots open, so it does suck for u guys (I"m not international by the way), your stats and ECs DO have to be better than citizens who are applying.

I'm not sure why, but med schools, dental schools etc., allow very little # of internationals in comparison to like pHd programs (which I"m familiar with),

but steven, I do know a couple of international students that did get into NYU, TUFTs, USC with GPA around 3.5, I think their dat was like 19-20, so it is definitely doable!

BTW, asian americans are NOT considered minorities (sux for us) :(

Okasha said:
Could you tell us your stats..b/c upenn accepts international student....I am an example.... Also, could you tell us when you applied...

I have a GPA of 3.84 and my DAT scores are 21/22/21. I submitted my application in mid-July. Do you think I still have a chance to get into Columbia?

elinz said:
YOur're right , but those asians that are interviewing probably have a citizenship, I understand the OP, there's only a certain number of international spots open, so it does suck for u guys (I"m not international by the way), your stats and ECs DO have to be better than citizens who are applying.

I'm not sure why, but med schools, dental schools etc., allow very little # of internationals in comparison to like pHd programs (which I"m familiar with),

but steven, I do know a couple of international students that did get into NYU, TUFTs, USC with GPA around 3.5, I think their dat was like 19-20, so it is definitely doable!

BTW, asian americans are NOT considered minorities (sux for us) :(

Are you sure that they show preference to Americans at private schools? Every private school that I've looked into says they don't care where you're from as long as you have the stats. Of course, every interviewer and committee has his/her own bias but, I'm pretty sure that as a matter of policy, country of origin doesn't play a role at private schools like UPenn, Columbia or Harvard. Of course, I've run into these problems at state schools but that's expected and I understand why state schools need to give preference to American students.

Audio said:
Are you sure that they show preference to Americans at private schools? Every private school that I've looked into says they don't care where you're from as long as you have the stats. Of course, every interviewer and committee has his/her own bias but, I'm pretty sure that as a matter of policy, country of origin doesn't play a role at private schools like UPenn, Columbia or Harvard. Of course, I've run into these problems at state schools but that's expected and I understand why state schools need to give preference to American students.

...oh...you know what? you're right, i just did a search on some of the private schools that I'm applyling to. my info is definitely heresay and from my international dental friends....who...(haha) may be biased,

well there you go steven, if you have submitted apps already, and looks like your stats are really good, I don't think you should have to worry! :D

steve0036 said:
I have a GPA of 3.84 and my DAT scores are 21/22/21. I submitted my application in mid-July. Do you think I still have a chance to get into Columbia?
I got the interview in CU both last year (submitted on 12/1) and this year (6/17 submitted), however, I got rejected again. :(
Last year, I was grilled in the interview and this year, I thought I made it but it turned out to be rejection again.
However, I know I had a 2.84 gpa in my first MS study in China. Maybe that killed every effort. (3.5 in second MS in USA).
The big problem for real international students is, most schools do not accept foreign undergraduate credits.
However, I do know some state universities accept international students and one of my friend got into Indiana, she did her BS here.
I am waiting listed in U of Kentucky.
It is hard for international students but still, hopes do exist.
Best Wishes for everyone.