Columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drhouse

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Had a few questions about Columbia. I just got a letter to interview there on 1/20. I know that in years past they weren't on AMCAS and interviewed a lot of people (1000+ I heard). Is that still the case or are they being more selective with invites now that they are on AMCAS? Also, anybody interviewed there have any tips? Anybody know if they've started accepting/ how many spots they have left. I'm pretty excited. It's one of my top choices.

Members don't see this ad.

drhouse said:
Had a few questions about Columbia. I just got a letter to interview there on 1/20. I know that in years past they weren't on AMCAS and interviewed a lot of people (1000+ I heard). Is that still the case or are they being more selective with invites now that they are on AMCAS? Also, anybody interviewed there have any tips? Anybody know if they've started accepting/ how many spots they have left. I'm pretty excited. It's one of my top choices.

They are non-rolling so no acceptances until March. In terms of tips for the interview, mention that you have aspirations of becoming a professional Rugby player. Trust me on this one.

Hey, sorry I can't answer your questions, but I am also interviewing there on 1/20. Did they offer you any kind of student hosting? I was wondering if Columbia did this at all. Also, and this question is for everybody, what's the best/cheapest way to get from LGA to Columbia? Is there like some airport shuttle service that gets me pretty close to the med center?

Members don't see this ad :)
A family friend picked me up so I can't speak about travelling from the airport, but if you email the admissions office they will send you a list of volunteer student hosts. I recommend it, incidentally, staying in the dorm is something you probably wanna check out before attending Columbia.

Rebs said:
They are non-rolling so no acceptances until March. In terms of tips for the interview, mention that you have aspirations of becoming a professional Rugby player. Trust me on this one.

Hahaha, thats what all the 1st years med students said to me while I was in the waiting room. BTW, it only helps if you interview w/ Dr. Frantz.

Most likely you will be invited to stay with a first year student, whether that is in Bard Hall or in one of the Tower apartments.

When I go from LGA to Columbia, I take the M60 bus to either 125th street (where the A train picks up... take this to 168th street), or to the Columbia undergrad campus at 116th street (where the 1 train picks up... take this to 168th street as well). There are many other options, including cabs, Super Shuttles, and airport buses. I might recommend the bus line that takes you to the Penn Station/Port Authority part of town. You can take the A train from there pretty easily as well. The difference in cost from taking the M60 is about 10 dollars. Get a round trip ticket and it's only about 2 dollars more.

Hope this is helpful! Hope you enjoy your day and that you end up loving Columbia as much as I do!

WayChanger said:
A family friend picked me up so I can't speak about travelling from the airport, but if you email the admissions office they will send you a list of volunteer student hosts. I recommend it, incidentally, staying in the dorm is something you probably wanna check out before attending Columbia.

I just had my interview there on the 14th. Ditto on the comment about the dorm...its probably the thing that drags columbia down most. When I ask people what it is like living in Washington Heights, they all say that "well you know there's a bus that picks up right there so that we can get the hell out of here whenever we please." And the dorm rooms are very small and old, but the place as a whole is mighty social. I liked what I saw, and as long as you aren't expecting the ritz, still a great place to consider.

Rebs said:

i interviewed back in october and thought they said decisions would be mailed in february. however, i often have problems listening and staying on-task.

oldprospector said:
i interviewed back in october and thought they said decisions would be mailed in february. however, i often have problems listening and staying on-task.

I thought that it was March ... how sure are you on February? And do you know when in Feb you expect to hear? Can anyone else shed any light on this?

greendot said:
I thought that it was March ... how sure are you on February? And do you know when in Feb you expect to hear? Can anyone else shed any light on this?

i just checked the booklet they gave us and is says that decisions are made in the middle of february and everyone should have written notification of their status by the end of the month.

Decisions will be made in March. Our MS2 tour guide said to disregard what it said in the booklet.

airflare said:
Decisions will be made in March. Our MS2 tour guide said to disregard what it said in the booklet.

The letter I got from Dean Frantz states:

Final decisions will not be made until some time around March 1, so don't worry about not hearing from us before then.

That clears everything up now doesn't it.

greendot said:

If it helps anyone, I heard on February 27th when I was applying (those were the initial acceptances).