com bank vs. kaplan bank

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SMC123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I plan on only taking the comlex, should i just rely on COM BANK or is it worth using Kaplan bank? If so, which Kaplan bank is more beneficial the Kaplan comlex bank or the kaplan usmle bank?

Members don't see this ad.

Kaplan is not very helpful and far too nitpicky and detailed. If you are going to do 2 qbanks do UWorld and Combank.

This is not true. Kaplan is the 2nd best Qbank after UWorld & has helped me immensely in preparing for Step. I've done a first pass of UW, going through my first pass of Kaplan right now, & I absolutely love Kaplan. While it does contain more "nitpicky" stuff than UW, I feel that people pretty much over exaggerate this for some reason. I don't know anything about the Kaplan comBank but I'm just giving my 2 cents about their step 1 Qbank.

This is not true. Kaplan is the 2nd best Qbank after UWorld & has helped me immensely in preparing for Step. I've done a first pass of UW, going through my first pass of Kaplan right now, & I absolutely love Kaplan. While it does contain more "nitpicky" stuff than UW, I feel that people pretty much over exaggerate this for some reason. I don't know anything about the Kaplan comBank but I'm just giving my 2 cents about their step 1 Qbank.

Second this. Kaplan's COMLEX qbank is a good addition to COMBANK. I learned a lot from it, so much so that I didn't feel like I needed to finish my UW qbank. That being said, UW is still the best qbank and I would've used it more had I not used as many resources as I did. My goal early on was to do more reading/reviewing from books with 50 ? a day and then progress to less reading with more (150-200?) a day towards the end. I started studying in January and took it May 24th. I also supplemented my board review with audio lectures which I played in my car everyday for 4 months. I didn't take USMLE and I wouldn't have scored as well on it because I pretty much blew off biochem/molecular biology/genetics after my first two passes through the material. I did 4 passes total.

The best way to score well is to do lots of practice questions so you can cover a wide range of material as well as see which areas are covered more. Make sure when you do questions you are reviewing the answers and understanding why you were wrong.

Lastly I wish I had done a year subscription to UW for rotations. I did fine on shelf exams but would've scored a lot higher by doing more practice questions. Instead I used Pre Test which suck.

Last edited: