Combined MD/DDS programs in U.S.?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Terry

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any combined MD/DDS degree programs offered anywhere in the English speaking world?

Members don't see this ad.

Terry,
If you are sooooo eager to find out (ie posting everywhere), why don't you look it up online? I'm sure people will respond to you, you just have to give it a couple of days...happy hunting
biggrin.gif

mayo clinic has one...just two people a year though get in...

Originally posted by Terry:
Does anyone know of any combined MD/DDS degree programs offered anywhere in the English speaking world?

Members don't see this ad :)
As has been stated several times already, there is no MD/DDS program in the US open to college graduates. Some dentists who have already received their DDS/DMD degrees will enter an oral and maxillofacial surgery program and SOMETIMES, depending on the program, get an MD.

Tim of New York City.

Hey, turtleboard, you don't need to get rude. Terry is just trying to get some information. And, if you had read the other posts, you would see that the Mayo clinic does offer an MD/DDS.

Hey, Terry, I forgot to ask this in my last post. I'm just curious, why are you interested in an MD/DDS program??

I think Mayo's program is an MD-OMS (oral and maxillofacial surgery) program that requires a DMD or DDS for admission. It is a six year program that condenses the M.D. degree into three years.

To Tim of NYC and Pathologist:

Thank you for your posts. First let me say that I think Tim is being candid and not "rude", I appreciate his knowledgable input and have learned to value greatly such frank and candid exchanges. I also admire Pathologist's willingness to "defend" someone, even a total stranger, he feels is being "sandbagged" unfairly.

With that being said, I am from a poor southern state where 13 counties have no doctor/dentist living or working in them.
I recently attended the national Osteopathic Medical Association meeting in New Orleans and learned of this there. Most of the DO's I spoke with said that in our state and other rural areas of the US and third world in a similar situation report that doctors run across alot of acute dental problems and they, the doctors, end up having to treat them by default and wish they had some general denitstry knowledge/skills.

Since it is my desire to serve these areas where suffering is greatest, I thought it only wise to inquire if there was any educational track that would prepare a health professional for both medical and dental primary care.

I hope this answers you question regards motivation.

While I believe that Tim and others are right regarding this matter I am still waiting definitive word from the ADA.

Wishing You Only the Very Best
Terry

As I have posted before, there are too many dental prerequisites to forego any number of years in the dental school curriculum. I would say that the freshman year is composed of 50% basic sciences (where having an MD would allow you to bypass) and 50% dental sciences (where having an MD means squat). Then in the 2nd year, 25% is basic sciences and 75% is dental sciences. From 3rd year on, it's all dentistry. Even the basic sciences is geared toward teeth and gums (Oral and Microanatomy, dental neuoscience, etc., etc.). Those courses focus much more time on the development of teeth than med school microanatomy courses...and if you don't have that background, you will not understand the basic framework of dentistry.

Your reasons for wanting to get both degrees is warranted, but to seek a shortened time frame for getting both degrees is nearly impossible. It seems as if the real problem with the dentally-underserved areas is the lack of dentists in the area, not the lack of physicians. My suggestion is to go straight into dental school, get yourself a DDS at LSUSD, and then get on out to those rural areas and get busy.

Terry,
Back in the year when I applied for dental school (1998), I know that there is a program offered by University of Kentucky that offers a dual MD/DDS degrees in five years. It's called the oral physician program. They take 2 people every year on this dual degree program. The requirement is that you have to apply to both schools at the same time and indicate that you are applying to this dual degree program. They also recommand that you have a at least a composite of 18 on DAT and 30 on the MCAT. I got this info from their dental school website; however, I was unable to find this info again when I revisited their website earlier this year. I guess the best thing to do is to call them for further information. In addition to 6 year MD/DDS Oral surgery residency, LSU dental school is current working on a MD/DDS Oral Medicine residency. I do not know how many years it will take, but I am pretty sure it's going to be less than 6 years because a oral medicine residency is usually 2 or 3 years by itself. So I am guessing that if the MD/DDS oral medicine residency works out, it will probably take 5 years. I hope this info helps.

gui-gui

I forgot to mention how these five years are spend in obtaining this MD/DDS from the Oral physician program. This first two years are spent in the basic science. After two years, you take the dental board and usmle. Third year is spent in dental clinic, and the last two years are spent in hospital rotations for the MD degree.

gui-gui

"A DAY LATE AND A DOLLAR SHORT"

gui-gui, thanks for the info. you were right about the combined DMD/MD program at the University of Kentucky School of Medicine.

The "Oral Physician" program WAS only five years and prepared you for primary care in both fields. (after MD residency)

According to Dan Seaver, Director of the Office of Academic and Student Affairs there, (859-323-6071)no one wanted to do it..."it was an Edsel, a flop...ahead of its time"

And....to make things worse the UK SOM changed the rules halfway through the program turning a five year program to a six + year program!

Only four students were admitted into the program and all of them opted to follow the MD route.

Seaver agreed that it would have been good if it worked...like in Europe... he told me that there Dentistry is treated as a speciality of medicine...i.e. you get your Medical degree first then you take dentistry for two years to specialize.
He also pointed out that the OMS residency is a speciality area and not intended for primary dental or medical purposes.

It looks like puffy 1 and others have accurately deduced.....its either Med or Dental, but not both if your interested in primary care in a rural or underserved area.

Still no word from the ADA, and I doubt LSUD will offer such a program after UK and Conn. both failed in their attempts. I'll check with them just in case.

Merry Christmas to All
Terry

Just a few things you need to understand. First, some of the responses may lead you to believe that if you complete one of the six-year programs you will be able to practice both as a general dentist as well as a general physican. In fact the complete opposite is true, you will be neither qualified nor allowed to practice either.

The six-year speciality program is for the training of an oral surgeon. Usually two of the six years are dedicated to obtaining the MD degree at an accellerated pace. The remaing four years are a hospital based training program in oral surgery.

Once you have completed the program, you will be a qualified OMFS, however is you present yourself as this, you will not be allowed to practice general dentistry. As for being a general physician, you will lack for the appropriate post-degree credentials such as an appropriate residency.

My advice is choose on route over the other and don't look back. One person can make a lot of difference in peoples lives. He doesn't need to make all the difference.

Be advised I've been informed that LSU Dental School in New Orleans is developing an Oral Medicine Residency that will include both PHD and MD routes. I'll post more info later.

Terry

Look up the Baylor College of Dentistry in Dallas's website...I seem to recall there were some dentists training in Oro-Max-Facial surgery at UT Southwestern Medical School in Dallas, but whether it was a combined program of some kind or a program for people who had already completed dental school I could not say.