Combined Pediatrics / Medical Genetics Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GeneGoddess

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying to some combined Pedi/MedGene programs (though there aren't many) and wanted to know if anyone else out there was planning to as well? Just looking for someone to chat with about it.

Members don't see this ad.

I am interested in this field also. I have been trying to figure out how competitive it is. I know that there aren't that many programs but I really have no idea how many people apply.

Me either! Most of the program directors I've spoken to take one person every year or every other year. One place said that they only had THREE applicants, though (one accepted, one rejected, and one was never really in the running). I'm applying to both general pedi and the combo programs. There are 11 right now, but I'm only looking at maybe 6 of those (since the others are in areas of the country that I'm not interested in).

Members don't see this ad :)
GeneGoddess said:
Me either! Most of the program directors I've spoken to take one person every year or every other year. One place said that they only had THREE applicants, though (one accepted, one rejected, and one was never really in the running). I'm applying to both general pedi and the combo programs. There are 11 right now, but I'm only looking at maybe 6 of those (since the others are in areas of the country that I'm not interested in).

I think this largely revolves around the fact that most have no clue what a medical genticist does(myself included).

GeneGoddess,
Which programs are you considering? Also, do/can you apply separately for peds and peds/genetics at the same school?

Fermata, I agree with you. We had a very good professor in genetics that got me interested, and I asked a lot of questions to understand what exactly they do.

tbachi said:
GeneGoddess,
Which programs are you considering? Also, do/can you apply separately for peds and peds/genetics at the same school?

I'm applying to both types of programs, since there are only 11 total combo programs in the US, and only 5-6 in places that I'd consider moving to. I'm applying to the combo programs in: LA, CA (1-3 programs, depending on who you talk to), Hopkins, DCChildrens/NIH, and CHOP. I may apply to UConn, but I won't have Step 2 by ranking time, and their website says they require it. I may call tomorrow and ask about that...

There are also programs at UC-Irvine, Mt. Sinai in NYC, and Cincinnati & Case Western in Ohio.

I'm also applying to several other palces that are just Pedi, but offer fellowships in Genetics.

Fermata said:
I think this largely revolves around the fact that most have no clue what a medical genticist does(myself included).

Ever seen someone walking down the street and think to yourself: there is just something ODD about the way they look. Or hear about a friend who has Slessinmaker's Syndrome running in the family? Geneticists diagnose it and treat it. And sometimes, we discover cures for it.

GeneGoddess said:
Ever seen someone walking down the street and think to yourself: there is just something ODD about the way they look. Or hear about a friend who has Slessinmaker's Syndrome running in the family? Geneticists diagnose it and treat it. And sometimes, we discover cures for it.

My curiousity is what the practice would entail.

For instance...what does a medical geneticist do every day?

Is private practice an option?

Fermata said:
My curiousity is what the practice would entail.

For instance...what does a medical geneticist do every day?

Is private practice an option?

Private practice is possible, but tough. Usually, they are associated with a large hospital or large medical group. For instance, my "mentor" has a thriving practice, where she sees patients at four large hospitals on various days of the week, plus in her office on other days. You know, Mondays is at the local charity hospital, Wednesday mornings at Shriner's, and Thursdays is at the big hospital. Tuesdays and Fridays are clinic days in the professional building. When an FLK (funny looking kid) is born or "noticed" in the hospital, she'll get a consult call. Plus, she has a lab where she studies a specific disease. As an MD/PhD, it's a great way to do research AND see patients. Plus, you get to follow kids from birth (and before, in some cases) until adulthood and beyond (their kids and grandkids). You follow whole families. I want to do the pedi part, but I know quite a few adult MG's (who mainly focus on "adult" genetics diseases like Huntington's or Marfan's).