Combined Programs/fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sohalia

namaste
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi--
I am interested in knowing more about combined programs, especially PM&R and internal medicine and PM&R and neurology. Specifically, where can I find out where these programs are offered, their length, etc.

I looked pretty extensively at the AAPM&R website and did not find anything useful, and I didn't see anything at the ABPM&R site either.

Also, what is your opinion of the relative usefullness of these 2 combined programs? I was also thinking of a fellowship in either pain or SCI. Which has more value in terms of return on investment (I will be coming out of Duke with approx. 120 K of debt and will be in my early 30s by the end of all this), a combined program or a straight PM&R residency with either a pain or SCI fellowship?

Thanks for the info!!

Members don't see this ad.

I can't find any for combined neuro/PM&R, but I have a sense that they're out there.The only two combined IM/PM&R programs that show up in the AMA FREIDA database are:

New York

SUNY at Buffalo Graduate Medical-Dental Education Consortium Program
Buffalo, New York 710-35-44-020

Wisconsin

Medical College of Wisconsin Program
Milwaukee, Wisconsin 710-56-44-023

There are several technical/infrastructures reasons why combined programs don't typically do well. Studies of the effects of combined programs (like psych/IM or psych/FP or ER/IM or neuro/psych) have generallly shown that graduates who train in both typically practice in one area significantly and merely dabble in the other or not practice in it at all. Within PM&R, the only combined programs that have really taken off are the combined peds/PM&R for those wanting to do pediatric rehabilitation.

In terms of SCI, it's a fellowship after a PM&R residency. At first SCI fellowships were really snickered at because it was felt that any competent physiatrist should be able to handle SCI---it's the bread and butter of rehab. But, the training has proven to be very valuable and fellowship-trained SCI physiatrists are in high demand and very highly recruited.

If you're more interested in "neuro rehab" you should definitely check out two programs: UW-Seattle and Washington University in St Louis. Both are excellent programs and really focus on inpatient neurological rehab. You could also add to that list NYU. Again, Wash U has an excellent Neurorehab fellowship

Washington University Neurorehab Fellowship

As far as fellowships go in PM&R, interventional pain fellowships still give the best return on investment. Still, you need to do what you love and love what you do and not just focus on the $$

I belive Case-Western in Cleveland, OH has a combined IM/PMR program. Kessler had one until about five years ago.