come on people!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

colnuc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
looks like many people have questions here ,with very little to offer..lets make the discussion more interactive.here my take on nuke med.

I am a INT MED resident finishing up my residency and planning to join nu med resideny. I love nuc med ,but when i was applying fo my residency nobody had enouraged me to go into this field and I had no idea being an IMG about nuc med.But I think I am pretty good at INT MED and had fellowship offers but my love for nuc med made me apply for the residency now that I have a decent idea of where this is heading. I think we should stop comparing it with radiology and the prospects in future is vast. A salary of 200k-250k should be googd for a decent living....any comments!

colnuc

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Colnuc:

Nice to hear from you. As I've mentioned before, I am a nuc med doc. Will be happy to answer pertinent questions. But you should probably look at prior threads, as many issues such as jobs etc have been discussed not too long ago.

Dr. Nuc Med, what is the median salary for your line of work?

Members don't see this ad :)
imhotep, thanks for sharing...

what fellowships are available to you? PET? PET/CT? MRI? CT?

Thanks for the reply.I did read the previous threads and I must say i dont have a clear idea.whoever i talk ,seem to be so focused on nuc med not having jobs,,is it true?/or its one of those things which nobody knows but everybodywants to pitch in?. you said that nuc med makes a little better than primary care..but i have heard anywhere from 150k to 300k.of course salary what you work for and make out of it but in the ball park for somebody just out of residency whats the avg pay?.

above all is it interesting everyday of your residency?.good luck and keep posting.

Salaries in academics are slightly greater than those in primary care (IM, FP, PEDS, as well as neuro etc).

In private practice, they are higher. Having a PET/CT fellowship certainly helps. Like I mentioned before, they tend to be higher than most of the primary care fields. If you are interested in further details, it would probably be better to PM me, as it's probably not a good idea to go into numbers here.

Most fellowships these days encompass PET/CT. I would strongly recommend AGAINST a PET only fellowship (if any such program still exists). There are some oncologic imaging fellowships available, where one might get greater exposure to CT, MR etc.

You can also apply for some cardiovascular imaging fellowships where the emphasis is on cardiac CT, PET/CT, MR, and SPECT.

Colnuc. I am not a resident anymore :) But when I was, I enjoyed my time as one.

Most (if not all) of the people that I know who did pure nucs AND passed the boards have a job.

would the oncological or cardiovascular fellowship train you to be able to read CT, SPECT, PET/CT, and MR in your practice?

imhotep, also...why is it that the nuclear medicine residency is 3 yrs. long? radiology residents do nuclear medicine for 4-6 months...what are nuclear med residents learning in addition?

thanks again imhotep

imhotep, also...why is it that the nuclear medicine residency is 3 yrs. long? radiology residents do nuclear medicine for 4-6 months...what are nuclear med residents learning in addition?

thanks again imhotep

That is an interesting question I'd love to have answered... what really is in the realm of nuclear medicine that is not really covered by radiology?

thanks again imhotep

Well, until just now, including the people who now are in residency in most places, the residency has been two years long. The departments want to to increase that to three years.

Nuclear medicine residents do more nuclear cardiology. Plus they administer therapeutic nucs agents, something that non-nucs fellowship trained radiologists don't do..

Starting 2007, nuc med residency will be 1 year of internship plus 3 years of nuc med. Unless one has completed residency in another clinical field such as IM, FP, Peds etc. In that case, only 2 additional years will be needed. The exception is diagnostic radiology. You still only need one additional year of nuc med training if you've completed radiology.

docxter, imhotep...i was wondering...

would a post-nuc. med. residency fellowship that trains in mri and ct enable us to read these scans once we start practicing?

and are oncological and cardiovascular imaging fellowships the only such ones available to nuc. med. residents?

thanks

Imhotep,

How does one PM(Personal e-Mail) you? As a current nuc med resident I have a number of questions that perhaps you can help me answer.

Retroniac

HI Imhotep,
Thanks for your reply. what are the usual working hours for nuc med physician in accademic and in private settimngs? AND how difficult is it to get cardiovascular imaging/nuc oncology fellowships aftre nuc med residency?.Appreciate ur response.

thanks
colnuc

Hi, I am in the same boat. Finished IM, have been practising and now looking for nuc med. some of the programs are telling me they have funding issues. any guidance?

some programs do give a position after you finish intmed.As far as I know, programs lose only a small amount of moneyfor people who already finished a residency,( not 100% sure though).

Pronuc (colnuc?): The best thing to do is cold call the programs as most do not go through the match. You might find that funding is not an issue for some.

250-300k yea I could live quite comfortably on that. remember it is not always what you make, sometimes it is what you save as well. invest your money properly and your money will go to work for you and then it will be more like 400k-500k after about ten years while your salary may not have increased as much your income will!!