Comfortable shoes for wards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dvsr

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm about to start a medicine prelim year and was wondering what shoes to buy to help me get through the endless hours of rounding on wards. I keep hearing from other residents that Dansko clogs are very comfortable and a must. These retail for $100-$150, are they really worth it? Any other (cheaper) alternatives?

Members don't see this ad.

I heard the same about Dansko so I got a pair. There's no way I was going to wear clogs so I got the dansko walking shoes from Amazon for $80 and I like them.

Anything by Keen. Indestructible & the non-sandal styles are classy.

Merrell's are pretty comfy too, esp the moc.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm about to start a medicine prelim year and was wondering what shoes to buy to help me get through the endless hours of rounding on wards. I keep hearing from other residents that Dansko clogs are very comfortable and a must. These retail for $100-$150, are they really worth it? Any other (cheaper) alternatives?
First, most of the people who love danskos have the old version that is actually available now as Sanitas. I haven't tried the new version, but they are manufactured in different places and I don't know if the quality is the same (the sizing is a little different though). Why is this important? These things are investments that will last a long time. If they fit you (which not every foot will do well with the styles they have) and are comfortable for you (again not everyone likes them) then you will be able to use them for years. My first pair are over 10 yrs old and there was a period of time (before I got a new color) that I wore them almost every day. This is despite the fact I don't wear shoe covers in surgery usually so I have had to cavicide them a number of times.

Ones that fit well out of the box. Lots of good options out there, including a few listed here. I recommend Zappos...their customer service and return policy is unbeatable.

Agree with the old Dansko/New Sanitas if those work for you style-wise. I have a pair of Danskos that I bought in 2004 that are still going. I don't operate though so they've remained largely poop/blood/pee-free. Not completely, but largely. And recognize that they are great for standing in but not so much for walking/running. If you're comfortable with heals or have strong ankles, go nuts. If you're one of those people who sprains your ankle when you so much as look at uneven pavement, skip 'em.

Merrell's are ugly as hell but comfortable. But not comfortable enough to overcome the ugly.

I used to be a fan of the Keen's but the last 2 pairs I've owned have had the sole come unglued within a year. Customer service has been great and both have been replaced no charge. But I quit buying them.

If you want crazy comfortable shoes that you wouldn't be embarrassed wearing outside of the hospital, suck it up and spend the cash on a pair of Ecco's or Mephisto's. Note that both companies sell some wicked ugly shoes but also some very nice ones. But you'll pay for them, no doubt.

From someone who is on their feet all day long, and has tried many different types of shoes, anything by Clark's - you can't go wrong.

From someone who is on their feet all day long, and has tried many different types of shoes, anything by Clark's - you can't go wrong.
I used to think that but recently bought a pretty uncomfortable pair. But that's 1/6 or 7 in the last few years so it could be worse.

Agree with the old Dansko/New Sanitas if those work for you style-wise. I have a pair of Danskos that I bought in 2004 that are still going. I don't operate though so they've remained largely poop/blood/pee-free. Not completely, but largely. And recognize that they are great for standing in but not so much for walking/running. If you're comfortable with heals or have strong ankles, go nuts. If you're one of those people who sprains your ankle when you so much as look at uneven pavement, skip 'em.

Merrell's are ugly as hell but comfortable. But not comfortable enough to overcome the ugly.

I used to be a fan of the Keen's but the last 2 pairs I've owned have had the sole come unglued within a year. Customer service has been great and both have been replaced no charge. But I quit buying them.

If you want crazy comfortable shoes that you wouldn't be embarrassed wearing outside of the hospital, suck it up and spend the cash on a pair of Ecco's or Mephisto's. Note that both companies sell some wicked ugly shoes but also some very nice ones. But you'll pay for them, no doubt.
Yeah, forgot to mention that if you have weak ankles you might break them wearing danskos or sanitas. But with good ankles and practice walking and hustling to a code are just fine. I wouldn't outrun any attackers or anything but there isn't much call for that in the hospital usually. Granted the types of shoe options we women have are not usually known for ease of walking or running.

I only wear danskos. You need to be sure you get a good fit at the store before trying to get them online. You can go to dansko outlet.com and get some pretty good deals. I just got 4 pair at $65 each instead of the usual $125-140. You can get away with the closed toed sandals if you don't like the clogs.

Yeah, forgot to mention that if you have weak ankles you might break them wearing danskos or sanitas. But with good ankles and practice walking and hustling to a code are just fine. I wouldn't outrun any attackers or anything but there isn't much call for that in the hospital usually. Granted the types of shoe options we women have are not usually known for ease of walking or running.

Weak ankles were the main reason I went with Merrells over Danskos as an MS3.

Calzuro's are awesome. Spend the extra 10 on the premium inserts. Otherwise I really like leather birkenstock clogs once they are broken in.

Cole Haan with the Nike soles.

I tried Danskos once to see what all the fuss was about. They were literally the most uncomfortable shoes I'd ever put on my feet...I don't understand the popularity.

In medical school, I wore the cheap Dr Scholl's dress shoes from walmart with the Dr Scholl's work insoles. These seemed to do ok in med school, but as a resident they became very uncomfortable and I started to have more foot and leg pain after coming home from work every day.

Current setup: Dunham Windsors with Powerstep Pinnacle insoles. Total cost ~$150, but my feet don't kill me every day when I come home anymore.

I tried Danskos once to see what all the fuss was about. They were literally the most uncomfortable shoes I'd ever put on my feet...I don't understand the popularity.
Like i said above your foot has to be right for it. If the arch doesn't hit you in the right spot or doesn't match tour well, forget about it. Plus the clog fits differently than the closed back one for some reason.

I have two pairs of Danskos in size 36 and 37. One is the open-backed clog, the other is the full clog. When I first got the open clogs I felt like the arches were killing my feet. I couldn't wait to take them off. I decided to try again with a slightly larger, closed back pair, which felt great for a while.

Then I went off surgery for a few months and stopped wearing them, and when I came back, they felt just as terrible as the original, smaller pair had. I could hardly walk in them after a few hours and my arches were killing me. The funny thing? I tried that original pair one more time and they are now my favorite shoes. They remain comfortable after a year of use and my feet feel fine after work.

Tl;dr - in my experience, Dansko comfort varies widely between shoes and may even change over time, for better or worse.

I absolutely love my Danskos (made after the sanita switch). They're not really comfortable, have no ankle support, and are ugly as sin; but I can do a 5 hour case without my knees and back aching all the next day. If I wear my comfy cross trainers or clarks (my clinic shoes) I start feeling it around hour 2 or 3 in my knees and it starts to become torture after that.

Reactions: 3 users

Totally agree with this, especially the Mephistos. But be ready to drop like $200-300.

I'm a bit confused though. I thought for most of your time on medicine rotations, you have to wear business casual. Clogs won't go with that unless you wear scrubs (which is only allowed on weekends and on call nights, right?)

I'm a bit confused though. I thought for most of your time on medicine rotations, you have to wear business casual. Clogs won't go with that unless you wear scrubs (which is only allowed on weekends and on call nights, right?)
I wear clogs with dress pants all the time. I guess they would look stupid with dresses or skirts but i don't wear those pretty much ever. If you get a nice solid color in nice finish it looks fine with pants.

I wear clogs with dress pants all the time. I guess they would look stupid with dresses or skirts but i don't wear those pretty much ever. If you get a nice solid color in nice finish it looks fine with pants.

Like black? The color doesn't bother me but the design seems so casual.

1601093-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg

Something like this should look dressy enough for the hospital
320073_366_45.jpg

This stuff not so much.

Highly institution dependent, generally more casual as you move west. Friends at med schools in the northeast basically were forced to wear business casual all the time... at my med school in the midwest, we would wear scrubs on all call, post call, and weekend days (>half of the days)... and at my residency program on the west coast, I wear scrubs every single day I don't have outpatient clinic. Even for clinic, I usually just wear a button down shirt or even a polo. I haven't worn a tie to work since my M4 medicine subi.

Highly institution dependent, generally more casual as you move west. Friends at med schools in the northeast basically were forced to wear business casual all the time... at my med school in the midwest, we would wear scrubs on all call, post call, and weekend days (>half of the days)... and at my residency program on the west coast, I wear scrubs every single day I don't have outpatient clinic. Even for clinic, I usually just wear a button down shirt or even a polo. I haven't worn a tie to work since my M4 medicine subi.

i'm going into psych so I think business casual is whats expected on that service.

But who knows about medicine? I'll have to see when I get there.

i'm going into psych so I think business casual is whats expected on that service.

But who knows about medicine? I'll have to see when I get there.
On psych, business casual... except for ties. No psychiatrist I know still wears a tie after various incidents of people being choked with one. Either just a button down shirt or the stereotypical turtleneck.

(Note: I know nothing about women's fashion and can't comment on what the things they wear are called)

Dear male AND FEMALE PHYSICIANS IN ALL SPECIALITIES:

Please stop wearing Danskos as "dress" shoes with business casual attire.

For one, they are not dress shoes.

For two, it looks hideous.

For three, as mentioned above, the biggest comfort advantage of Danskos is for standing for long periods of time (i.e. OR cases). They are actually not a very good walking shoe - terrible ankle support. They are standing shoes, not walking shoes.

Clarks, Cole Haans, any other comfortable dress shoe will actually do much better for you comfort wise, and as an added bonus you won't look like a total tool.

FTFY

Dear male internal medicine residents:

For three, as mentioned above, the biggest comfort advantage of Danskos is for standing for long periods of time (i.e. OR cases). They are actually not a very good walking shoe - terrible ankle support. They are standing shoes, not walking shoes.

Clarks, Cole Haans, any other comfortable dress shoe will actually do much better for you comfort wise, and as an added bonus you won't look like a total tool.

Recently forgot to pack my clarks and black socks on a day with both OR and clinic. Result? Business casual with Danskos and white socks. It was not a good day.

Reactions: 2 users
Danskos for any time you're wearing scrubs, Clark's for any time you're wearing business casual.

I walked about a lot in my Danskos, and found them to be the only shows that didn't leave me with aching feet after running around for 16 hours. I can (and have, many a time) run in then at a pretty good pace. But if you're new to wearing them, you'll want to be careful- I nearly broke my ankle at least 5 times in the first year I owned them, mostly while walking on the uneven sidewalks in front of the hospital.

Danskos with business wear of any sort are a crime against fashion, however, and completely unforgivable. Just go with some basic black or brown Clark's for that

disagree about Danskos not being great walking shoes...wore them as a med student, IM resident as a hospitalist, and now as a fellow...solid color clogs with solid colored pants...are they pretty? no...but has anyone ever told me they were inappropriate? no...and geographically been up and down the East coast...

and Clarks, at least for me, are the most uncomfortable of shoes...

Yes, OMG yes.

I'm all for wearing comfortable shoes (esp after I started to get plantar fascitis) but Danskos are just ugly as hell and definitely not dress shoes.

Plus, they're not comfortable. At all. I've tried them.

We can't all wear choos ;)

I am not much for style. My danskos are comfy for walking so i wear them all the time. i don't often wear real clothes but when i do i wear my danskos with it unless i am feeling particularly girly and know I only have to wear it for a short time (like clinic on a day where I don't have cases or rounding to do after)

Much like every other conversation about clothing (see the interview attire threads)...the likelihood that anyone would ever come up to you and tell you your shoes are inappropriate is exceedingly low.

Doesn't mean that they aren't looking at you and thinking you look ridiculous.
Thankfully I have reached a point that i don't care if some people think i look ridiculous. Also, based on the kinds of snarky conversation i have heard as long as you aren't in stilettos, some obnoxious color or style fancy men's shoe, or are unable to keep up because of your shoe choice most people aren't going to care in any kind of grade affecting way.

Reactions: 1 users
Thankfully I have reached a point that i don't care if some people think i look ridiculous. Also, based on the kinds of snarky conversation i have heard as long as you aren't in stilettos, some obnoxious color or style fancy men's shoe, or are unable to keep up because of your shoe choice most people aren't going to care in any kind of grade affecting way.
Yes, even I , as I look down on them from my Choos, have never downgraded a student or resident for ugly shoes. I've talked to them about inappropriate choices (which include all of your mentions and I would add in open toed/sandals) but it doesn't affect their grade.

Are Nikes okay with scrubs on ED trauma call with surgery, and in the OR?

Much like every other conversation about clothing (see the interview attire threads)...the likelihood that anyone would ever come up to you and tell you your shoes are inappropriate is exceedingly low.

Doesn't mean that they aren't looking at you and thinking you look ridiculous.
eh, i too have reached the point that i don't really care about it either, but please, black danskos with black pants are way more appropriate in the hospital setting than 4 in stilettos or sneakers (both of which i've seen in the hospital) never mind the clubbing clothes some people consider to be appropriate for a hospital rotation...

...but yes, I have had a pediatrics PD who would send home people if their dress did not meet standard (i.e., men had to have ties, women in skirts...and yes this was in this century...).

I actually hate ties with a passion. Get absolutely infested with all kinds of nasty bacteria, get in the way of everything, generally uncomfortable to wear. I still wore ties throughout med school but I think I'm going to stop during residency.

I actually hate ties with a passion. Get absolutely infested with all kinds of nasty bacteria, get in the way of everything, generally uncomfortable to wear. I still wore ties throughout med school but I think I'm going to stop during residency.

depends where you go. most places, a resident can't get away with that attitude.

many podiatrists have told me Dansko's really aren't that great unless your feet are all-purpose kind of feet, since they have such a heel and crazy arch built in. Your feet love them or hate them usually, and if they love them, great, but they're not the only or even best shoe out there. There are a couple of models of Dansko's that are made to have the insole removed and an orthotic put inside, they are very attractive with pants and very comfortable, especially given that you can stick anything inside them to accommodate your feet. Any podiatrist is going to tell you the best shoe you will ever wear is a comfortable stabilizing athletic shoe. Go to the podiatry threads and ask this question, they will not only know what's good for your feet but what dress shoe torture devices are a fair compromise.

I've always worn sneakers in the hospital. I buy black ones so they're more "professional" looking. Wearing sneakers has been surprisingly well tolerated by my peers. The patients love it. If they say anything it's always to compliment me on them, I tell them that dress shoes look nice but they're not nice to your feet, athletic shoes are, and as a healthcare provider that's what I recommend people wear on their feet so I figure I should practice what I preach. They all seem to get a kick out of that.

I'm always saying to never assert yourself or make waves and keep your head down, but if your feet go so does your career. Cherish them with the most comfortable shoes you can afford and get away with at work.

All the brands mentioned here are good options. The podiatrists can recommend sneaker brands better than I can remember what they've told me off the top of my head.

Last edited:
I bought a pair of Merrell Encore Gust on amazon. They have been treating me really well so far on night float!

Anything by Keen. Indestructible & the non-sandal styles are classy.
I still have my pair of Keen Work PTC Oxfords from 2012. As long as you swap the insole out every 1-2 years, you can wear them forever!

I bought a pair of Merrell Encore Gust on amazon. They have been treating me really well so far on night float!

I've been wearing these for the past 5 years, same pair, still working, still awesome.