1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Coming Around the Corner

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by TeachME, Jan 5, 2009.

1. TeachME

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I am trying to figure out the best moves for me...

I am a Post-Bacc student in Bio 2, Physics 2, Orgo 2, and all the labs this semester. Additionally, I am taking a Dental Assisting course, so that I may have a job until I martriculate. I plan on applying this May for 2010.

When should I be taking the DATs? I was going to take it in June but some people say take it in May in order to have the opportunity to retake again if things don't go as planned.

While taking all these courses, is it possible to study for the DATs to be ready in time for May?

I also signed up for a Kaplan course, do you guys recommend it or can I just study it all on my own with this kind of course load?

I did also plan to take either Biochemistry, Microbiology, or Anatomy over the summer while I study for the DATs. If I take the DATs in early May that will be fine. I feel that if I am taking it later in the summer then either take Anatomy or no classes at all. Taking the classes has its advantages especially because I will only have the minimum requirements. What do guys think or recommend?

Unfortunately, I have not met any of my professors and I was going to have the one that I got an A in write me a letter but they obviously don't know me that well. Should I risk it and have them write one or do I wait until the end of this semester? Waiting obviously is going to increase the chance that application would be completed later. What should I do?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. TeachME

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Any ideas?

4. Dentgirl09

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    As for the DAT.. take it when you're ready.
    I took it in August and applied... not that I recommend it because I'm sure my cycle woudl be much better if I applied early.

Better off taking it once and doing great than taking it twice. Depends if you think you'll be ready.

I "studied" for 3 months. 2 months I kinda did 1 hour a day or something. The last month I crammed and did about 6-8 hours a day. (That was the actual studying... I think I wasted the first two "studying". I thought it was much easier to study without a course load.

Maybe take it in June? So you can finish classes in May and then have an extra month to cram like I did so you can be SURE that you are ready.

That was a lot of rambling. Sorry

5. TeachME

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Any suggestions on what I should do for letters of rec?