Comlex 2 unfriendly programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

badgas

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got an email from a program saying that they require not only the usmle 1 but also 2 to be passed before given any consideration. I took step 1 but did not plan on taking usmle step 2. Is this the case with a lot of programs or is this just an osteopathic unfriendly program who wouldn't consider me if I had taken every USMLE w/ all 270s?

Members don't see this ad.

When did this email come? If it came since you sent in your apps. I would think they are going to have a lot of applicants who have not taken step 2 yet both MD and DO so they will be limiting themselves. Also to what specialty are you applying?

Well the email basically just said "we don't take comlex so if you aren't planning on taking usmle step 2 we would like to take you off the list." I guess I just thought that if I took the usmle step 1 that the comlex would be fine for step 2. I took the usmle step 1 and did average (228) but really don't want to take step 2 if I don't have to since money is already tight w/ interview season around the corner. I was just wondering if ALL programs want usmle step 1 AND 2? This was in anesthesiology by the way.

This is news to me. I am also doing anesthesia and took both USMLE step 1 adn 2 but I did it just because I wanted to improve my step 1 score. If they won't interview without a step 2 score that sounds crazy but if they won't rank you without a step 2 score then you have to ask yourself how bad do you want to go to that program? I am sure they won't rank the MD students without their step 2 score either. But I have not heard of any programs demanding a step 2 score for interview. And if they won't take COMLEX it does not sound too freindly of a program, where in the country was it? The West?