COMLEX 3 before internship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

annushka

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
I'm somewhat off-track, I graduated in December but my internship will only start in July. I just received my contract in the mail, I'm about to sign it.

Several friends have suggested that I take step 3 BEFORE starting my internship in July; that is, somewhere in the next 2-3 months. I called up NBOME and apparently it's legit if I have a signed contract.

So I'm wondering: does it make sense to do that? Or should I take it in my internship year like everybody else? I'm a little worried that I don't have enough clinical experience for this exam, and I'll be doing the rotating internship anyhow so perhaps it's more to my benefit to wait...

The other issue is, I have to take the exam before the beginning of April (for personal reasons), so will I have enough time to study?

Thanks!!!

wook

Just a hairy situation
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm somewhat off-track, I graduated in December but my internship will only start in July. I just received my contract in the mail, I'm about to sign it.

Several friends have suggested that I take step 3 BEFORE starting my internship in July; that is, somewhere in the next 2-3 months. I called up NBOME and apparently it's legit if I have a signed contract.

So I'm wondering: does it make sense to do that? Or should I take it in my internship year like everybody else? I'm a little worried that I don't have enough clinical experience for this exam, and I'll be doing the rotating internship anyhow so perhaps it's more to my benefit to wait...

The other issue is, I have to take the exam before the beginning of April (for personal reasons), so will I have enough time to study?

Thanks!!!

I would consider taking it early. I took it 3 months into my intern year and did fine, so I did not have extensive clinical experience. The exam is very similar to step 2. Make sure you study for it...take the exam seriously.

Wook

kalico

TV doc
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The new NBOME rule is that you can sit for it once you graduate from medical school. I am in a similar situation as you and I took it last month. Glad I got it out of the way and I did really well (info was fresh and similar to step 2). Go for it. One less thing to worry about.

- K