COMLEX II and Residency selection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HIDA

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have several question regarding the
COMLEX II. Is the COMLEX II more of a factor than the COMLEX I as far as the residency selection process? Any advantages to taking the COMLEX II in March vs. August? Are the August scores available in time for sending out applications and interviews? What percentile range on COMLEX II is needed in order to stay competitive for a residency like orthopaedic surgery?

Members don't see this ad.

This is based on my personal oponion and experience:

If you do well on part one you DO NOT need to take part II to be competitive for a residency spot.

If you do well on part one and do take part II make sure you do well on part II as well or you will have some explaining to do during your interview process.

If you have not done well on part one you should take part II, and you should make sure that you score high...that will show that you have improved.

So if you do well on part I, I would take part II in March..if you have not done well on part I and feel that you can improve your score then you should take it in Aug of your third year to show the residency programs that you have improved...

[This message has been edited by RBorhani (edited 12-18-1999).]

Thank you for you feedback RBorhani; Could you please elaborate on what a competitive vs. noncompetitive COMLEX I score is? Would you suggest one who, for example, achieved a 60-70% (percentile) on the COMLEX I to take the March or August exam if he/she was pursuing an orthopaedic residency?

Depends on the specialty that you are applying to

for non competitive specialties i.e. Family Med. Psych, IM, Peds, Path, Neuro, etc...it should be fine

but for more competitive residencies..i.e. ER, Optho, Derm, gen surgyou want to be above 75-90%

For really competitive residencies i.e. ortho, ENT, urology, neurosurg, etc you want to be above 90%