COMLEX II and Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Molly Maquire

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI,

If a student takes the August administration of the COMLEX II, and then applies to an Osteopathic residency, will the results be back in time for the match?

I ask because I remember that it took an amazingly long time to get results for COMLEX I. Also, the Osteopathic match takes place before the allopathic match.

I did pretty well on step one so I would rather not take it.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey MM,
I am going through the same dilemma. I have spoken to many residents, esp ER ones. Many have said it is okay to wait til January to take COMLEX II. As a matter of fact, the program director even said the same. She said that by the time they do the final ranking (Feb or so), they will have everyone's Step I and II scores. Therefore, she said take it if you did poorly on Step I since having the Step II will help you get interviews. I hope that helps. My school I believe requires the students to petition to take Step II in August. Such bogus. Good Luck!

-C-

My advice would be to take the August COMLEX to be done w/ it and enjoy your 4th year. If you did well on the first step and feel fairly confident in your test taking abilities, then two good scores is better than one when it comes to applications. Plus, who wants to study for a board exam over the holidays, and the time in January when the COMLEX II is given is also prime interview time .

at our school we have to take it in August. I am thinking about taking USMLE 2 at the same time since I have to study for COMLEX 2. Anybody know if you mark for your scores not to be released if programs will know you took USMLE 2? Will they ask you in the interview? If they don't know and you can release them when you want, then isn't it risk free?