Comlex = memorization and USMLE = reasoning?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorperez

Jesus was a dissident
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who have taken both

Is this the general idea? The Comlex questions test mostly memorization while the USMLE questions tests more one's reasoning?

Members don't see this ad.

Is this the general idea? The Comlex questions test mostly memorization while the USMLE questions tests more one's reasoning?

took both last summer and did well on both. basicly they cover the same material with a little different emphisis. comlex hits more pharm, micro, path while usmle will hit more biochem, pathophys. but there is significant overlap.
comlex qs are usually shorter and more to the point while usmle make take you a few secs to figure out what they want and what pathway they want you to think about.

example:
Comlex question: Guy comes in with cough after seing a Dr. for hypertension. What medication is he probably on: Answer: pick out the one with a pril on the end(Ace inhibitor)

usmle: guy comes in with cough after starting an ace what electrolyte is most likely increased: answer K+......thought process=ace= dec ATII= dec. aldosterone= inc K+

I think thats how it works, its been a while.

Having only taken the USMLE, i can't say for sure. But my suspicion is that they *both* test a combination of memorization and reasoning. Why would they be so drastically different?