COMLEX PE questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ferroportin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dress: is it business or business casual? Can we wear khakis and a color shirt (rather than a white one)?

OMT: I know the NBOME mentions specific techniques, but do the patients ever request a specific technique, or is any relevant OMT acceptable?

When doing cranial OMT, will there be enough room to sit at the head of the table? If there isn't, do we just do it standing?

Members don't see this ad.

Dress: is it business or business casual? Can we wear khakis and a color shirt (rather than a white one)?

OMT: I know the NBOME mentions specific techniques, but do the patients ever request a specific technique, or is any relevant OMT acceptable?

When doing cranial OMT, will there be enough room to sit at the head of the table? If there isn't, do we just do it standing?

You are not allowed to do HVLA and I think cranial is out also. Anything else is fair game including just making **** up as you go.

I would dress business, since everything is scrutinized. Skip the khakis for dress pants. A colored shirt is perfectly okay, but wear a tastefully-matched tie.

I don't recall patients requesting a specific technique, but several did say that "a friend had OMT for ____ and it helped." It will usually be obvious what they want. Do take the time to review the basics of OMT treatment, but don't go too crazy with it. There is a great thread here on the subject. Again, skim lightly just to get an idea. Several of my friends Forrest Gumped their way through the thing, making **** up as they went, as sylvanthus said, and still passed.

I don't recall cranial being specifically prohibited as HVLA was, but did do several OA decompressions. There is adequate room at the head of the table, and if not, spin them around and sit at the foot.

I think I wore dress pants and a blue shirt with a tie. As long as you have a tie I think you're alright.

For OMM you going to want to just stick to the basics. I really don't think there will be a case that requires you to do cranial. If someone is complaining of a headache just release their strap/paraspinal muscles. I did a lot of rib raising if I recall :)

Survivor DO

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I wore dress pants and a blue shirt with a tie. As long as you have a tie I think you're alright.

For OMM you going to want to just stick to the basics. I really don't think there will be a case that requires you to do cranial. If someone is complaining of a headache just release their strap/paraspinal muscles. I did a lot of rib raising if I recall :)

Survivor DO

Thanks, man.

If the SP says they are a smoker and then say they want to quit, we just give them the various options (nicotine patch, Wellbutrin, etc) and say we'll be there for them--anything else?

Survivor DO

What is rib raising? Sounds interesting.

Thanks, man.

If the SP says they are a smoker and then say they want to quit, we just give them the various options (nicotine patch, Wellbutrin, etc) and say we'll be there for them--anything else?

For people with 'life issues' I asked if we could get some family involved with care or get some social support, if they're interested. Still waiting on my result though, so that might not be good input.

For social issues unrelated to complaint, I merely indicated that I am aware of it and intend to do something about it, so it doesn't detract from my very limited time. Taking smoking as an example, I told them that I would like to discuss the health benefits of cessation and options available afterwards, if it's alright with them, and documented "smoking cessation" in my plan.

For social issues directly related to the complaint, such as possible STD exposure due to unprotected sex, I would take a minute to actually counsel them on the spot.