COMLEX PE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JibsGuy52

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone tell me when to schedule this exam? I feel so lost about it. Also, as a DO student, Do I need to take both Step 2 CS and COMLEX PE? Or will COMLEX PE suffice?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Can someone tell me when to schedule this exam? I feel so lost about it. Also, as a DO student, Do I need to take both Step 2 CS and COMLEX PE? Or will COMLEX PE suffice?

Thank you

You dont need CS. Spare yourself the torture

Reactions: 1 user

Thank you
I would schedule it by July of 4th year. I would try and make sure my CE was released before the PE so you can release it without the PE, but I would try to have both scores in before Apps open. Its become the new 'your apps not complete' thing to screen out PE. Plus that test sucks, just get it done.

I would schedule it by July of 4th year. I would try and make sure my CE was released before the PE so you can release it without the PE, but I would try to have both scores in before Apps open. Its become the new 'your apps not complete' thing to screen out PE. Plus that test sucks, just get it done.
I'm just entering third year now. I've heard rumblings to take it immediately after my internal medicine rotation? Good idea or no?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just entering third year now. I've heard rumblings to take it immediately after my internal medicine rotation? Good idea or no?
I don't think the rotations really matter. What matters is your level of familiarity with the test. I would go through the Kaufman books and videos, and probably the FA Step II CS cases. Not all the advice is relevant (you don't actually have time to complete BP rechecks usually.) But I think those resources do a good job of preparing you. As much as you can be prepared anyway.

will they screen you out for Family Medicine if your PE scores are not loaded by September in your ERAS application?

Thank you
Do not take both Step 2 CS and COMLEX Level 2 PE. Waste of money.

Ideally, you want to take this from April - August of your 4th year. Scores take 2 months to release. Most programs will interview you with it but they will NOT rank you post-interview until they see that you passed it. Therefore, the earlier the better because there's always a chance you may fail this exam and will need to retake it and will need to wait another 2 months for scores to come out.

You should be looking into scheduling and paying for this test as early as possible in third year. It costs around 1300. Don't forget about lodging and travel costs as well. You are paying 1300 for 6 hours of 12 SP encounters and a lunch.

Reactions: 1 users
Do not take both Step 2 CS and COMLEX Level 2 PE. Waste of money.

Ideally, you want to take this from April - August of your 4th year. Scores take 2 months to release. Most programs will interview you with it but they will NOT rank you post-interview until they see that you passed it. Therefore, the earlier the better because there's always a chance you may fail this exam and will need to retake it and will need to wait another 2 months for scores to come out.

You should be looking into scheduling and paying for this test as early as possible in third year. It costs around 1300. Don't forget about lodging and travel costs as well. You are paying 1300 for 6 hours of 12 SP encounters and a lunch.

Would taking this exam in third year, before Step 2 CK and COMLEX CE be an unwise idea? I just want to book it and get it done with. I start with FM, IM, but probably won't have EM experience in my timeline of taking it.

Would taking this exam in third year, before Step 2 CK and COMLEX CE be an unwise idea? I just want to book it and get it done with. I start with FM, IM, but probably won't have EM experience in my timeline of taking it.
Its only unwise in the sense that if you fail it you wont be able to hide it. But 92% pass on the first attempt so I dont know that you should be that worried. I had friends that took it in march of third year and passed. Some even earlier. I was jealous of them, cause its a relief to have it out of the way.

The rotations dont get you ready as much as the books and videos. This test isnt really like a rotation.

will they screen you out for Family Medicine if your PE scores are not loaded by September in your ERAS application?
I am going with probably not most places. But some places might. Its becoming a real problem with people not having a pass by rank time. Since it takes so long to come back that adds another layer of trouble. The intern who told me he lost interviews cause of it wasnt a FM guy he was psych.

You are allowed to take it whenever in third year after you pass step 1 / level 1. The only thing is that schools will make sure you don't take it too early or will sometime force you to take it during a certain window.

I say earliest is take it second semester of third year so you at least have some clinical experience which does help somewhat (especially in the realm of formulating differential diagnoses).

Took mine in March of third year and wish I had done it sooner. The Kaufman videos are spot on, it was an easy test as long as you don’t overthink it. Once youre done with a case, forget about it and move on to the next one. They say you need certain rotations before taking it but I would disagree. If you know the Kaufman A&Ps you’re good as far as differential dxs. And whatever you do, make sure to pay attention to his OMM videos... extremely high yield and very beneficial to go over once more the night before the exam :hint hint:

Found out I passed. THANK GOD.

Took it early June. I ran through the kaufman cases the night before. On the flight over, I went over typing SOAP notes in a timely manner and the physical exams. Other than that I was listening to a bunch of gangsta rap and just chillin'.

Listened to heart and lungs on every encounter.
Only did OMT on 3 cases I believe? Wasn't really prompted for one of them but did it anyway.
Wash your hands before the encounter and before each physical exam.
Make sure you have something down for every section, don't leave anything blank. IDC if it sounds ridiculous.

I literally put down "Take Aspirin" for the plan LOL and I knew the patient needed much more for acute pain relief...

Made a ton of spelling mistakes for sure.

But thank God I never have to take that stupid exam ever again.