COMLEX scores for General Surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DO_Surgeon

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can anyone give a rough idea on what score one needs to be considered competitive? Also where are the best D.O. programs?
 
That's a good question. I'm not sure anyone on here can give a definate answer, but I can give you my 2 cents for what its worth. General Surgery MD or DO is pretty competitive. Now, it's not so competitive that you need to gnaw off your arm to get a spot. My guess is to be competitive for DO spots, make sure you are sitting somewhere around the top of the bell-curve for your class and about average to slightly above average board scores. That's my guess...my opinion. I'm no program director by any means. DO programs (it seems to me) look at other things as well. They really care about who you are and whether you'd be a good fit for their program. I've talked to a couple program directors at DO hospitals and they told me that they would take an applicant with lower board scores (over other applicants) if they felt that applicant was 1.) a good candidate none-the-less and 2.) a good fit for their program (personality-wise). I hope this helps. I, too, am interested in surgery as a possibility, but that decision seems so far away for me right now. Good luck.