COMLEX specific test prep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SomewhereinNY

Reaction score
I haven't seen a post like this, so here goes-

As a DO student, you have to pass COMLEX. Your step score (USMLE) is in general more important than your COMLEX score (if you take both), because residency programs tend to value your USMLE score more- at least that is what I've seen, for the most part. That being said, you have to pass COMLEX to graduate, and plenty of people only take COMLEX- so that's where this post comes in. I was given the advice that to study for COMLEX, I should just study Step 1 resources and I would be fine- but then I was bombing COMSAEs and doing really well on practice USMLEs- so I think it's really important that DO students use COMLEX specific resources, especially if you aren't happy with your COMSAEs. If you are acing COMSAEs, obviously you are doing fine- if not, here's what I did-

1. Textbook: Savarese is the gold standard for general OMT review
2. Memorize Chapman's points and viscerosomatic reflexes
3. Use a COMLEX specific question bank.
I used a few different ones, but my favorite was COMBANK from TRUELEARN, which is basically UWorld for COMLEX, IMO. It's a question bank with explanations, but it was the closest question bank that I could find to COMSAE questions. I did the entire bank twice and ended up increasing my score on the COMSAE by 200 points, and I did pretty well on the COMLEX. Kaplan has a COMLEX question bank too, and it wasn't bad- but Truelearn Combank was closer to the actual COMLEX questions and I liked the explanations more- short but detailed enough that I didn't have to go looking for more information on the topic to do a thorough review.

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
  • Dislike
Reactions: 2 users
I swear this is a truelearn guerilla marketing campaign. Combank is terrible. There is no other explanation.

Reactions: 7 users
USMLE is more important period, not "in general".

Savarese and knowing CP/VS points is enough to pass the OMT portion.

Buy a real q-bank like UWorld and put any money that would have been spent on “COMLEX q-banks” towards supporting your local brewery.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Prepare to do well on usmle, read saverse for Omt and never look back. If you do as well as you can on usmle you won’t have to worry about passing comlex..

Reactions: 1 user
If you have unused Combank or comquest for comlex3, please PM me. Thanks