COMLEX step 1 (scores and residencies)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aagbay

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who can help me out with these curiosity questions?

1) What is the MEAN on the COMLEX step 1?

2) What is the STANDARD DEVIATION?

3) For DO's who have matched, what was your score and what specialty did you go into?

4) What are the average scores of the residents who go into each respective specialty?

5) In regards to CLASS RANK: how high does it need to be to get into each respective specialty?

Thanks in advance for any light you shed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

The thing about the COMLEX is it doesn't really talk about the SD or what not like I think the USMLE does...

I would suppose the mean is 50%...

I scored 93% on it, and am applying to EM residencies as we speak. I obviously haven't matched yet so I can't tell you how my success has been.

As far as residents and their respective scores... obviously the more competitive the residency, the higher the "average" score is of the resident. But just remember that board scores aren't the only thing residencies look at.

The mean of the June Comlex Level 1 was 500 w/ a SD of 79. Meaning that an average of 500 out of roughly 750 questions were answered correctly. Results are reported in percentiles.
There were about 2700 students that took it in June 2002, so each percentile represents about 27 students.
I'm a third year so I cannot comment on any residency stats nor have I been able to locate any.
Best of luck.
Rad_one